header.nohb.html

1966 Sonor Teardrop Red Oyster4 Piece Drum Set 20",13",16" ,w/Matching 14" Snare Drum Local to me $1350

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
yea pass It'd have to be ala Blackwell twin-12s for me

photo-of-ed-blackwell-photo-by-tom-copimichael-ochs-archivesgetty-picture-id74310389

photo-of-ed-blackwell-photo-by-tom-copimichael-ochs-archivesgetty-picture-id74310390

"I'll wait till Frank finds me one"..
Any recordings that have Blackwell on Teardrops worth checking out?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any recordings that have Blackwell on Teardrops worth checking out?
Yes and No.
This was 1962

Do a thorough research of Ed Blackwell.
the Ornette Coleman catalog and everything Ed was associated and played on.
Some times live he had drums provided. But have a hunch those were his. But he's had every drum brand imaginable. And very hard to tell - he tensions them all the same - uses same dimensions usually- on recordings
and if you want a real stemwinder of an Ed Blackwell discography- took me hours to come across give this a Listen (and the playlist is there to the right column)

Treviso1

DFO Star
Reaction score
I requested additional pictures of the drums and some closeups of the snare and both sides of the strainer. The seller is out of town for the 4th of July, but he responded that he is happy to provide more pictures upon his return.

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Is the red Drop set being sold through a member on the forum here?...just a tad confused.

jskdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
1st off... Treviso1..Super Cool of you on this...

I stumbled upon a Tear Drop Kit by accident not knowing what it was..I landed a residency gig in Reno & Tahoe several years back...I didn't live in the area at the time & found a Tear Drop kit FS on CL in Tahoe..I just bought it because it was cheap & was a Sonor which I knew made solid quality drums..plus they looked cool in the pics... When I picked up the kit..the guy told me "you have no idea how great these drums are & is 1 of the best kits ever made... he would never sell them if he wasn't in a pinch" I didn't have a choice I needed a kit & bought em for the house gigs I had & left them up in that area so I could fly in & out of town... OMG did I fall in love with this kit! Easily 1 of the best kits I've played or owned.. Mine are 6 plys (no-re-rings) 13, 16, 20.. I ended up selling the snare (metal) to Jerry Jenkins (RIP) of Jenkins Martin as I was broke at the time.... Short story too long.. of all the kits I've played these are something special & are in the "never let go" category...

Someone should jump on this offer..especially if you have an ear / eye for vintage drums....There's some magic in these & design concepts that were so ahead of their time.

Treviso1

DFO Star
Reaction score
The kit is still available and I asked the seller for some additional pictures, which I have added to the front end of this thread. The offer stands for anyone who might want the drums. I don't know the seller, but he seems like a nice enough guy. I have so horse in this race and I am not asking for any compensation. I am just wanting to do a fellow Forumite brother or sister a favor because I know people LOVE these kits. It's obviously a player's kit, not a collection item to be placed in a museum. It's been played and I think it's pretty cool. I have plenty of boxes and I am happy to ship them at the buyer's expense. The seller said he'd take $1100 for them, but I think that there may be more "wiggle room" on that price. They are pretty stinkin' cool!

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
The kit is still available and I asked the seller for some additional pictures, which I have added to the front end of this thread. The offer stands for anyone who might want the drums. I don't know the seller, but he seems like a nice enough guy. I have so horse in this race and I am not asking for any compensation. I am just wanting to do a fellow Forumite brother or sister a favor because I know people LOVE these kits. It's obviously a player's kit, not a collection item to be placed in a museum. It's been played and I think it's pretty cool. I have plenty of boxes and I am happy to ship them at the buyer's expense. The seller said he'd take $1100 for them, but I think that there may be more "wiggle room" on that price. They are pretty stinkin' cool!

Thanks for the additional pics and info. They confirm my earlier suspicion that it was indeed a 3 ply kit with rerings. This is a “transition” kit most likely from 1965. These kits are rare among Teardrops.

In 1965, Sonor changed its manufacturing from 3 ply to 6 ply and changed the position of the tom post in the bass drum. The early mount was offset to the left which positioned the rack much like a rail mount would. Today most drummers don’t like the offset mount an would prefer a center post mount. All 6 ply Teardrops are center post.

3ply Teardrops don’t come up often and even fewer with a center post. They do sound different then the 6 ply. Less volume, less punchy and more airy as discussed here with some video

321125A1-4F0A-40A7-A8F2-6099E9788F88.jpeg

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Is there a tom holder and bass drum cymbal mount with this kit?

cdrummer

Reaction score
Thanks for the additional pics and info. They confirm my earlier suspicion that it was indeed a 3 ply kit with rerings. This is a “transition” kit most likely from 1965. These kits are rare among Teardrops.

In 1965, Sonor changed its manufacturing from 3 ply to 6 ply and changed the position of the tom post in the bass drum. The early mount was offset to the left which positioned the rack much like a rail mount would. Today most drummers don’t like the offset mount an would prefer a center post mount. All 6 ply Teardrops are center post.

3ply Teardrops don’t come up often and even fewer with a center post. They do sound different then the 6 ply. Less volume, less punchy and more airy as discussed here with some video

The 3-ply kits are a jazz drummer's dream. I had a 12-13-16-20 a while back that I should not have sold. They have an amazingly warm, woody, and open sound. If you'd like to get a sense, here's a recording of my old kit:

https://soundcloud.com/chris-golinski%2Fsmoke-signals-by-chris

Eric_B

Reaction score
Thank you for hipping the DFO community to this kit, @Treviso1. I actually reached out to the seller on Facebook thinking I might try to take you up on your generous offer. Then I saw he put them up on Reverb with free shipping, I made an offer that was accepted, and boom looks like I can expect delivery of my first vintage kit later this week.

Really excited to check them out and will post an update once they’re set up if anyone is interested.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thank you for hipping the DFO community to this kit, @Treviso1. I actually reached out to the seller on Facebook thinking I might try to take you up on your generous offer. Then I saw he put them up on Reverb with free shipping, I made an offer that was accepted, and boom looks like I can expect delivery of my first vintage kit later this week.

Really excited to check them out and will post an update once they’re set up if anyone is interested.
I hope you love it. Teardrops are so easy to play, they tune themselves. Something special about that beechwood/design.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, I'm happy this kit found a new loving home. I'm currently out of space for new kits, but that doesn't prevent me from doing some "what if I..." type of mental gymnastics everytime something cool (like this teardrop kit) pops up...

Try and post a vid when you get it properly set up...