1967 Powertone stored unplayed in a closet for 50 years

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
This is a nod to forum brother Gunnellett on his recent score of a Ludwig Acrolite "Snare Drum Kit." (He asked that i post this.)

Back in the day, drum "kits" were drum "sets," and student snare-drums-in-a-case were "drum kits." Whatever!

Like Gunnellett, I received my "snare drum kit" complete with Roy Burns' "Elementary Drum Method," Rogers sticks and brushes, stand, case and ultra-rare Wildwood Powertone snare drum. And like Gunnellett's, this snare kit had been stashed away for half a century in a closet, unmolested...and, also, uncleaned. It had 50 years' worth of fingerprints and snot over every surface. But she cleaned up and polished nicely, though I left the fasteners alone, so the patina and slight rust remains inside.

Powertone Drum Kit 1967.jpg

Wildwood Surprise.jpg

Wildwood Badge.jpg

Wildwood Grommet.jpg

Wildwood Nice Stripe with Badge.jpg

Wildwood Nice Stripe, No Badge.jpg

Wildwood Throwoff.jpg

Wildwood Tone Control.jpg

SN Tag.jpg

And here's how it arrived:

Badge Close In 2 - Original.jpg

Last edited:

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Wow, now that is a beautiful "kit"! The interior looks like it was painted this morning!

You are a very lucky man. Thanks for sharing!

Gunnellett

Reaction score
That had to have been the "coolest" of the drum kits! I can imagine a bunch of kids gathered around a lunchroom table waiting for the unveiling of the contents of the case. As the case gets cracked open, light starts radiating down from the heavens as music fills the room!