1968 Ludwig Black Panther

Black Label

Reaction score
I recently purchased a beautiful set of '68 Ludwigs in Black Panther wrap 22 / 13 / 16. There are one or two small scuff marks and a small tear on the kick, but they are in general in great condition. I normally use Coated Ambassadors on my vintage Luddies but these came with clear Emperors and man, do they sound HUGE!!! I tuned them low and they can compete with any modern kit insofar as big sound and volume is concerned. I really rate this kit and it will definitely be set up for a good while before changing it out for something else. Here's some pics!
Cheers
Erik

Attachments

BRIAN

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I always liked the look of Black Panther, nice collection ya got.

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Very cool kit. I always loved the look of these. Do you find them to be more dampened compared to a regular wrap?

Black Label

Reaction score
Very cool kit. I always loved the look of these. Do you find them to be more dampened compared to a regular wrap?
Thanks man. My feeling is actually quite the opposite. It may be the clear heads, but I think that they may be more resonant because of the thinner wrap. The BP wrap is really thin compared to the traditional wraps. Once I fit some Coated Ambassadors, I will be in a better position to assess. I will post my findings:)

Black Label

Reaction score
Beautiful kit!! Congratulations. I got the reissue of the black panthers earlier this year. View attachment 522318
Beautiful kit man - Ludwig and 2002's, the way it has to be! I did not know that they re-issued them. I wonder whether the wrap on the re-issues are upgraded to a thicker or stronger material. The original wrap is very thin indeed.

Jhouse86

Reaction score
The reissue almost looks like it's a stain rather than a wrap. I'm certain it's a wrap but how it will hold up, who knows!! It's definitely thin.

Jhouse86

Reaction score
I don't want to derail the thread, but I missed the BP reissue. Are they still currently available?
They reissue are called "black cats". Legacy mahogany shells with the black panther style wrap and wood hoops. I think the are a pretty limited run.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Always loved the BP... And these look great.

A friend of mine got his mits on a very rough looking Camco. When contemplating his options and budget for re-finish, he did the unspeakable and wrapped them in black Tolex to do the first ever and probably only Camco Panther... Frankly, they look and sound badass as all get-up and now get played on the reg. So, all in all, a loss for the purists but a win for the players.

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I always thought that the Black Panther wrap was a Tolex type material similar to the material used on Fender guitar amplifiers. That material always seemed to be pretty durable. I know a local drum maker here in Minneapolis (Ellis Drums) offered drums wrapped in Fender Tweed years ago. I always thought they looked pretty nice too.

Ellis Tweed 1.jpg

Ellis Tweed 2.jpg

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I always thought that the Black Panther wrap was a Tolex type material similar to the material used on Fender guitar amplifiers. That material always seemed to be pretty durable. I know a local drum maker here in Minneapolis (Ellis Drums) offered drums wrapped in Fender Tweed years ago. I always thought they looked pretty nice too.

View attachment 522369

View attachment 522370
I don't know about the effect on sound, but these look amaaaaaaazing.... Makes me want to get on the hunt for great vintage tubs in need of a wrap job...

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They reissue are called "black cats". Legacy mahogany shells with the black panther style wrap and wood hoops. I think the are a pretty limited run.
So the Black Cats are a throwback to a different generation and not to the Black Panthers. Ludwid's ad copy reads: In the tradition of Ludwig's 'Victorious' drums of the 1940's..."
I'm sure the ad copy would have made the BP relationship. This variant has a black stain finish rather than a wrap.

1634001930000.png

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Are your drums date stamped? I am aware that BP first appeared in what I believe to be mid-late 1968 but the only way to really determine stuff like that is to see actual date stamped drums and keep a record. I'm just curious if you have a full 1968 date stamp in there? Great looking set BTW.

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So the Black Cats are a throwback to a different generation and not to the Black Panthers. Ludwid's ad copy reads: In the tradition of Ludwig's 'Victorious' drums of the 1940's..."
I'm sure the ad copy would have made the BP relationship. This variant has a black stain finish rather than a wrap.

View attachment 522438
I believe it has to do with the wood hoops all around.
also not thinking it has anything to do with BP finish, all together different.
Wayne

Black Label

Reaction score
Are your drums date stamped? I am aware that BP first appeared in what I believe to be mid-late 1968 but the only way to really determine stuff like that is to see actual date stamped drums and keep a record. I'm just curious if you have a full 1968 date stamp in there? Great looking set BTW.
Hi there - I cannot recall seeing date stamps in the shells, but I will look again. I just went by the serial numbers - i just checked again and they are actually 1969 serials 738xxx / 740xxx and 741xxx it would appear. I will check for stamps as a matter of interest as well.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Hi there - I cannot recall seeing date stamps in the shells, but I will look again. I just went by the serial numbers - i just checked again and they are actually 1969 serials 738xxx / 740xxx and 741xxx it would appear. I will check for stamps as a matter of interest as well.

Great thanks. Those serial numbers put this set into mid to late 1969. I appreciate the response.