1968 Sears Drum Set

dharma bum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is a great thread! What a blast from the Past. Those old pics are so cool, especially the one with the Monkees LP and the old toys.

My fist kit was an early 70s Pearl Red Sparkle, with the Rogers Swivo type tom holders. I got a pix somewhere and I'll try and dig it out.
Hey, I wanna see a pic if you have it. My first kit was early 70s Pearl BLUE sparkle four-piece with the Swivo type tom holder- only years later did I realize the floor tom had the cheaper hardware and only six lugs. I still have it.

mardigras

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
apparently Sears was offering drums way before the sixties... really cool that you still have your first kit Tom...and with all the hardware to boot...amazing!!! B)

poot

Penncrest Endorser
Reaction score
I remember looking longingly at those drums in the Sears and Penney's catalogs back in 1970 thru 1972 or 3. Also Bennett's Blue Book and Montgomery Wards.
Bennet's Blue Book! Yes! About 1969 there were a few Apollo kits pictured in the Bennett catalog, including a blue one similar to what JR described. Oh, I wanted that kit real bad. I probably spent hours leafing through the few pages of drum gear. Didn't happen for me, but it was nice to dream! A few years later I ordered a Norelco cassette player from Bennett's. It took forever to arrive, and only lasted a couple months before it stopped working. They didn't honor the warranty, either. That was the end of my dealings with Bennett's.

rwl7532

Reaction score
Holy back stories, Batman!!

I bought my gear with my own money. Zildjian ride in '65 (still have it and the receipt), Supra for $88 in '66 (traded in the Slingerland 6 lug mahogany - OK parents bought me that one). Gold Sparkle Classic Bass drum and tom later.

Yes, I stared at the Sears catalogs and also the Ludwig catalogs I got from the Kirkland Music Store -- for hours.

Love the stories. Keep 'em going!!

allspine

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great minds think alike, I also received the Sears blue sparkle set for Christmas around 1965. My brother received the Silvertone red hollow body guitar. We rocked!

BrianOwens

Drumsforever
Reaction score
My first kit was Norma brand in blue sparkle 22/13/16 w/ matching snare and they did the job. The next kit was a 4 piece BDP Ludwig w/consolette and they did the job even better! ;-)

Spongebob

DFO Master
Reaction score
apparently Sears was offering drums way before the sixties... really cool that you still have your first kit Tom...and with all the hardware to boot...amazing!!! B)

I'd bet you that these drums were either Leedy or Slingerland. Imagine that. You get a top of the line drum set for the price of a loaf of bread!

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score

I'd bet you that these drums were either Leedy or Slingerland. Imagine that. You get a top of the line drum set for the price of a loaf of bread!
Those look like Leedy and Strupe drums.

davydrums

Reaction score
Ah memories.I spent hours dreaming about the guitars in the Sears Catalog.Then I took a guitar lesson,and I spent hours dreaming about the drums.It was great for fueling the imagination of a young boy.Of course I always checked out the lingere ads first. :smile:

buddman1955

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I see what you mean about the weird tom placement. The original color looked really cool. Oh well, we've all done the same things. Can't turn the old clock back. Live and learn. :0)

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
I just think it's cool beans that you still have that kit intact. That's a little miracle all by itself.

Oh man, I remember staring at those catalogs for hours on end...

John

Joeyboom

De. Drum Show Feb. TBA 2018
Reaction score
Hey Rick K is right . . That "Phil Dooley 7x14" is Definitely an L&S as the throw is exactly what's on my 35 L&S . . .

Memories mine was a "Prestige" red sparkle. .In 68 It all came in one big box 3 piece sn 12 20-22? stands just like those. . pie tins. . played the crap out of it added-upgraded. . moved to a Luddy silver sparkle. . Great post Tom nice work Buddy

Drumstyx7a

Team DFO
Reaction score
Is it just me, or does anyone else miss getting a Sears-Roebuck catalog in the mail?

Buzz
yep. and add the radio shack catalog to that list for me as well. i lived out of that catalog....

mike
Oh man!! The Radio Shack catalog!!! It was even more fun for me because Tandy Corporation was headquartered in Ft. Worth. So all the RS stores were well stocked in my area. Had no freaking clue as to what all that stuff would do but it sure was fun to look at!!!

Geez, just remembered. When CB radios took off in the 70's the hottest radio around was the Radio Shack, mini 23 and bottom loaded trunk mount antenna.

Robb

Zickosman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My first "firewood" kit was a Lyra 5 pc bought in 1963. The finish was white marine pearl. I kept it for some years after I got my Zickos and finally sold it (didn't need two sets :blackeye: ) to my old high school in the 1980's where it turned into "firewood". It was in pristine condition when I sold it and it was garbage within two years.

ObiWan

Hillbilly Drummist
Reaction score
[/quote]

Geez, just remembered. When CB radios took off in the 70's the hottest radio around was the Radio Shack, mini 23 and bottom loaded trunk mount antenna.

Robb
[/quote]

Ahh...I had the Sears 23 mobile with the adapter and powered base mic, out of the '75 WishBook. Spent the summers talking to my Dad almost every morning while he drove to work...memories! A few years later, our HS garage band used that mic to sing through until we could come up with a real one. Was an awesome vocal effect, ha! Our band name? Ground Control...

Latest posts