1968 Sears Drum Set

Lorenzo1950

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, the drums did not sound great but it may have been those cheap plastic heads.
Did they sound good with Ambassador or some decent brand? My friend was very pissed when the drums arrived that he couldn't get a decent sound out of them. The cymbals were not great either but they were better than nothing at all. For a young kid they might have been everything.

TomN

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When I got them back in '68, I thought they were terrific.

Lately, as I was switching heads around and eventually going back to coated Amb batters, I had trouble tuning the drums down to a medium tension. Seemed to sound flabby/flappy, like the heads weren't seating very well on the so-so bearing edges.

But after picking up a used set of coated G1s off ebay, these heads seated with no problem and the drums now sound very decent. And with a Powerstroke 3 batter on the bass, it sounds really good.

I've been using the set on some gigs. People are surprised when I tell them that the drums are 43 years old.

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Interesting, every thing about that set, the lugs, the bass pedal and the cymbal stands, are exactly like my first set, which was a red sparkle Starlight set.

I remember the tom falling off the mount, the bass drum pedal breaking, the cymbal stands collapsing and the cymbals turning inside out when you crashed them.

chilidog

Reaction score
yeah and f those guys whose folks bought them REAL drumsets! mine were us mercury. and when we WALKED
TO SCHOOL 6 MILES and the snow was 3 ft. deep and we were 3ft 6" and the saint bernard DIDN'T come
and we all froze to death in freddy krugers basement and we are still here......... and and

Patrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, the drums did not sound great but it may have been those cheap plastic heads.
Did they sound good with Ambassador or some decent brand? My friend was very pissed when the drums arrived that he couldn't get a decent sound out of them. The cymbals were not great either but they were better than nothing at all. For a young kid they might have been everything.
Better heads always helped. Of course you were generally working with fewer lugs than a typical pro level drum, bearing edges that weren't very edgy, and young drummers still learning their way around tensioning. So even when heads were sorted, achieving a pleasing sound was still a learning curve for many of us.

Bluenote

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow, I had a blue sparkle Sears kit as well, 1972.

Today, I like that darker-blue sparkle, a lot. Looks classier to me
now than it did then.

JOE COOL

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
beatnik...thanks for posting those christmas catalogs.

i was able to go back and see my first drum.
1964 sears christmas catalog.page 83,mastro snare drum.
red sparkle with gold colored plastic hardware.$11.99.

1964,i was 11 years old.it was also the year the beatles came to america,and the musical explosion began.
it was a very exciting time.

Chicagoish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is a great thread! What a blast from the Past. Those old pics are so cool, especially the one with the Monkees LP and the old toys.

My fist kit was an early 70s Pearl Red Sparkle, with the Rogers Swivo type tom holders. I got a pix somewhere and I'll try and dig it out.
Hey, I wanna see a pic if you have it. My first kit was early 70s Pearl BLUE sparkle four-piece with the Swivo type tom holder- only years later did I realize the floor tom had the cheaper hardware and only six lugs. I still have it.
OK here's the Pix, from 1981.(Long time coming cause I missed your original reply. Please excuse the hat! It was 1981 and I thought I was cool. Anyway.. that Pearl kit is not all my original early 1970s (first) kit. What I had done was order more drums later in the 70s cause I wanted to be Neil Peart. So I think the FT is the Cheap Wood early 1970s Pearl, and the BD and the Rack Tom were the later Fiberglass (boy I wish I still had that) but the hardward is the Rogers knockoff stuff. Could I get any more Pillows and Blankets in that Bass Drum? Cymbal stands are vintage Luddy Atlas. I think I still have one. Snare was my first (and only snare at the time) KB Acro. Yellow car was my 70s Mercury Comet. Did those blue Evans Hydrolic heads too on the rack tom.

nanashi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
apparently Sears was offering drums way before the sixties... really cool that you still have your first kit Tom...and with all the hardware to boot...amazing!!! B)
Drums in Sears catalogs go way back. Back in the twenties and thirties they carried Walberg & Auge drums. They could probably be found way earlier than that. Besides drums you could find organs and band instruments. You did not find music stores in rural areas, almost everything was mail order.

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
say, are those real drums or are they sears drums?
Nothing lika a Zappa-esque quote to make my day!

My first drum was an old Pearl wmp 5" snare, Slingerland clone with zoomatic copy strainer, radio king lugs and rims flanged inwards.
Had been sitting on the shelf of the local store for years when bought in 74.
Bought it back a few years ago, modified but still sounding great.

4 years later my folks bought me a 67 Ludwig BOP kit (that still I own today). They were more in to quality than the newest drums, and didn't have the money to buy the new Rogers kit in the store. Lucky me...

(I actually got to choose between that Ludwig kit, redrilled for 2 toms, but just one came with the kit - and a 20, 12, 14 BOP-kit with the railmount and all the tremblings in stands, original front head etc... I thought they were to small. Bummer...)

/L

Frankie

Reaction score
I have my set of Sears drums my Dad bought me in 1968 for a Christmas present. And other then replacing 4 of the heads and the foot pedal they are original and in mint condition. My Dad challenged me to take care of them and I guess I fulfilled my end of that challenge.

Attachments

cwdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Frankie said:
I have my set of Sears drums my Dad bought me in 1968 for a Christmas present. And other then replacing 4 of the heads and the foot pedal they are original and in mint condition. My Dad challenged me to take care of them and I guess I fulfilled my end of that challenge.
Hey Frankie,
Welcome to the forum. A lot of us old timers :) had MIJ kits back in the day, wish I still had mine. Man I loved the Sears catalog music section. Browse and dream for hours.
Coy in Idaho

Frankie

Reaction score
cwdrums said:
Hey Frankie,
Welcome to the forum. A lot of us old timers :) had MIJ kits back in the day, wish I still had mine. Man I loved the Sears catalog music section. Browse and dream for hours.
Coy in Idaho
Thanks for the welcome. I remember cutting out the page from the Sears catalog and putting it on my Dads pillow as a hint of what I wanted for Christmas. I was kinda like that kid in the Christmas story movie. But he never said I'd shoot my eye out.

cwdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Frankie said:
Hey Frankie,
Coy in Idaho
Thanks for the welcome. I remember cutting out the page from the Sears catalog and putting it on my Dads pillow as a hint of what I wanted for Christmas. I was kinda like that kid in the Christmas story movie. But he never said I'd shoot my eye out.

Maybe just poke your eye out with a drumstick :)
Coy

Frankie

Reaction score
I'm saving mine for my grandson and grand daughter. They like to play them when they come to visit and I keep threatening to bring them to them when we visit. My daughter hopes I'm just kidding.

Olderschool

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Frankie said:
I had a Sears kit back around 70. Not sure of the quality (did they have different levels?) but they were fragile. My brother jumped on them and destroyed them.

Latest posts