1968 Sears Drum Set

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
My first kit was what I believe to be a "Sears" kit...well, someone's anyway.
No badges. Never had any (they could be ordered that way).
Similar to a '68 Pearl Valencia kit...

...but mine was red sparkle and came with a 14x4 snare drum.

Thinnest shells I've ever seen. Vintage 3-ply American or 90's 4-ply Pearl got nothing on those shells.

It was in excellent shape and I wish I still had it. Alas, on the quest for "bigger and more drums" I traded it for the CB-700 kit I would gig for the next 5 or 6 years.

Elvis

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
jrfrond said:
What many people do not know is that Pearl Musical Instruments, Hoshino Gakki (Tama) and Nippon Gakki (Yamaha) were the de facto suppliers of stencil-brand Asian Firewood kits to the USA long before they became A-game players. In fact, if you trace any of them back, you will find transition-type kits that sport decent drums and crappy, utilitarian hardware. Of course, all three of these companies are now, ironically, hardware giants. My early-mid 70's Yamaha kit is a perfect example of this. The shell composition was nearly identical to the 8000 series which debuted about five years later (birch/lauan, called "Philipine Mahogany" by Yamaha), with grey interiors, taillight lugs and "Y" badges and nice plating all-around. SUPER kit, albeit in a weird configuration (20/12/12/16).
The May 1994 issue of Modern Drummer has a great "Inside Pearl" feature discussing Pearl's transition from being exclusively a stencil manufacturer to becoming an industry giant. It's well worth purchasing the back issue.

Latest posts