1971 Ludwig Super Sensitive Wires...

Mhiggins55

Reaction score
I have a 1971 Ludwig Super Sensitive Snare that I’m fixing up. I ordered replacement wires however they were 18 1/4” long. It seems mine requires right at 18”. Could anyone point me in the right direction as to where to buy the correct replacement wires? Thanks!

Speedy Keen

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adjustment on the strainer mechanism should be able to take care of that issue. Just loosen them out a bit and the wires should fit.

Mhiggins55

Reaction score
I thought the same thing. But I maxed the adjustments all the way and the snare wires were still too long. I then dug out the old wires I removed and measured those and the new ones. The old ones were exactly 18” while the new ones were 18 1/4”.

Speedy Keen

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What company are your new replacements made by? Very interesting. Is it possible that you can take the little adjusters off the threaded rod and turn them around to get a little
more length?

Speedy Keen

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
They sure do look like they "should" work. One other idea that comes to mind, might be to make a gasket that goes under the strainer assemblies on each side of the drum. Perhaps more trouble that it's worth. But at least you should not have the problems that people with the Pre-1968 Ludwig Supersensitives are having getting snare wires now.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ludwig makes them and they fit. Cheaper than Gibraltar last time I purchased them.
1610239396489.jpeg

Mhiggins55

Reaction score
It’s hard to see but I believe the model is “L1232”... is that correct? And those Ludwig branded snare wires are truly 18” and not 18 1/4”?

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s hard to see but I believe the model is “L1232”... is that correct? And those Ludwig branded snare wires are truly 18” and not 18 1/4”?
Those snare wires are intended to be used with their Super Sensitive mechanism, and they're in Ludwig packaging.

abryantp

Reaction score
@Mhiggins55 I have a set of original 1970's super sensitive snare wires I am actually planning on posting on reverb today. Let me know if you have any interest. Cheers