1973 Pearl Hairline Silver kit

Rob G

Reaction score
The first new drum kit was at age 14 and was a circa 1973 5 piece Pearl Hairline Silver (vertical finish direction not horizontal).

I'm putting together a montage for a family gathering and would like a photo of that kit if any one has one or knows where one is. Does not matter if there is someone playing the kit in the photo.

If anyone has any background info on the kit then that would be great.

Appreciation in advance for your assistance.

Rob G

Reaction score
Thanks guys, this is perfect. I'll dive right in and find my old kit.

Now if I can only find the cheese cloth shirt and those bell bottom jeans that I wore in 1974 to go with the kit .........

dharma bum

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm interested if you find a photo. My first kit was new in 1973 - a wood blue sparkle which i still have. I don't see "Hairline Silver" in the catalog at that time, it may have come along a few years later? Here's the catalog (and I still have my original catalog from this year) with the available finishes at the time. Anyway, good luck with the hunt.

1613432936235.png

Rob G

Reaction score
It could be that the correct colour is "Satin Silver" as per your catalogue Dharma bum. I just remember the words "Hair Line Silver" when I went with my mum to pick the kit from the local music store in Hornsby, NSW. I did find a recent corresponding statement of that colour description in an advert on Gumtree here : https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wat...e-pearl-floor-tom-hairline-silver-/1264239209. The image on that gumtree advert is defiantly the one!

The colour might have been from a different series. But being in Australia it was likely that those 1970's kits were from the asia distributor for Pearl rather than the US distributor.

Rob G

Reaction score
A bonus read in the archive of catalogues you have referenced is the mention of endorsement of Pearl kits by the drummers John Guerin and Ralph Humphries who were both singularly inspirational in my early drumming. Hot Rats, Roxy and Elsewhere with Zappa, Tom Cat by Tom Scott and the LA Express, Miles of Ailes by Joni Mitchell, this list is endless for those guys.

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I did find a 1975 Pearl catalog here: http://www.drumarchive.com/Pearl/Pearl1975.pdf. It does show what I think is Hairline Silver in the color swatches (No. 34) as well as a kit in that color on page 10 of the catalog. Unfortunately, the catalog is in Japanese so I can't be certain. Possibly one of the other catalogs at Drumarchive has what you are looking for.

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Update: the Pearl catalog on Drumarchive shown as: 12 page catalogue from 1975(?) (USA/Europe market) does show Hairline Silver on page 3 in the color finishes along with Hairline Gold and Hairline Blue.

Rob G

Reaction score
Yes, that's the colour, # 34 from the 1975 12 page catalogue. I was mistaken that it was laid vertically not horizontally.

I really appreciate your assistance in this matter as it has been nagging me for many years.

I am really lucky to have been able to play drums for over 50 years now and have been through a range of kits (some got worn out, some were donated to other kids learning drums and some got stolen). My current and probably my last kit is a set of DW Collectors Series in Peacock Oyster (given to me by my children on a milestone birthday) and a Roland TD-25 (as attached) but that Pearl 5 piece Hairline Silver kit from 1973 has a special place in my heart.

Thanks again for tracking this vintage Pearl info down for me.

IMG_20180414_134251.jpg
IMG_20180414_134251.jpg