1976 Ludwig 3-ply Mahogany Cortex 14x24, 10x14, 16x16 - $1350 shipped

jsp210

Reaction score
As part of my 2020 consolidation efforts I'm putting a portion of my 3-ply Mahogany Cortex drum collection up for sale.

I acquired a large matched serial number set a few years ago in very good condition and am keeping the 18", 13", 15" drums for my small rig setup. These drums are in great shape with no issues other than a few scuffs and nicks here and there. No rust or pitting on the chrome and no cracks or any loose seams in the shells.

I just put new heads on everything and will also include an alternate ported combo (Aquarian) for the bass drum if you desire as well as an era-correct logo sticker to slap on there if that is your thing. The bass drum in this size sounds and feels fantastic and the other drums have that dry classic Ludwig 3-ply mojo for sure. I tune them in the medium high range and they tune up fine in my experience. The bearing edges and reinforcement rings are all looking good but the floor tom takes a little more effort to tune and seat the head so the edge on that one may not be perfect, which is not uncommon for these drums. It is hard to make them sound bad though!

****Reduced price - $1350 shipped CONUS***

Here is the Reverb link with plenty of photos:

https://rvrb.io/1976-mahogany-cort-fo6qst

IMG_20200118_164409.jpg

IMG_20200118_164641.jpg

Last edited:

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As part of my 2020 consolidation efforts I'm putting a portion of my 3-ply Mahogany Cortex drum collection up for sale.

I acquired a large matched serial number set a few years ago in very good condition and am keeping the 18", 13", 15" drums for my small rig setup. These drums are in great shape with no issues other than a few scuffs and nicks here and there. No rust or pitting on the chrome and no cracks or any loose seams in the shells.

I just put new heads on everything and will also include an alternate ported combo (Aquarian) for the bass drum if you desire as well as an era-correct logo sticker to slap on there if that is your thing. The bass drum in this size sounds and feels fantastic and the other drums have that dry classic Ludwig 3-ply mojo for sure. I tune them in the medium high range and they tune up fine in my experience. The bearing edges and reinforcement rings are all looking good but the floor tom takes a little more effort to tune and seat the head so the edge on that one may not be perfect, which is not uncommon for these drums. It is hard to make them sound bad though!

I'm asking $1350 plus actual shipping on these.

Here is the Reverb link with plenty of photos:

https://rvrb.io/1976-mahogany-cort-fo6qst

View attachment 424666
View attachment 424667
PM'ed you

jsp210

Reaction score
Willing to sell individual drums from this if you are looking to fill holes in your Mahogany Cortex setup. Had a few inquiries along these lines so I thought I would mention. Also willing to consider offers for a shells-only package without the new heads included.

jsp210

Reaction score
I would also be willing to swap out the 10x14 with the 9x13 from this collection or sell both of them if a double rack tom setup is your preference. I aim to please!

jsp210

Reaction score
I've reduced the price to $1350 shipped CONUS on the 24/14/16 and will just hold on to these if no takers.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been watching this, and I realize some people who may be on the fence here may not have an understanding of what Ludwig Cortex drums bring to the table for a gigging drummer. I have a maple cortex 3 ply set with the exact same tom mount and hardware. For anybody wondering, these drums sound great, don't weigh much, and they're tough as they can be. That cortex wrap will take a beating without showing it. Those look great, and it's getting harder and harder to find cortex in 3-ply. Plus yours has the thin disappearing bass drum legs and diamond plate bass drum mount, which is just about my favorite Ludwig hardware combination. Good luck with the sale!

jsp210

Reaction score
I've been watching this, and I realize some people who may be on the fence here may not have an understanding of what Ludwig Cortex drums bring to the table for a gigging drummer. .....
Thanks for pointing out the merits of these 3-ply Cortex drums with respect to durability and light weight for the gigging drummer. It is certainly nice to have 40+ year old drums that you can bring to any gig whether indoors or outside without worry.

I was seriously going to ask for this listing to be removed due to me deciding to hold on to them but will keep these listed for the remainder of the month since the moderator jumped in with these comments.

FamilyDrum

Reaction score
1975, in my mid teens I saved a summer’s wages and bought a complete set of Mahogany Cortex Ludwig Drums. Unfortunately I ordered the power tom set, which I later streamlined, added bottom rims, and switched to this mount. What I did do right was order an 18” floor tom. Like others have mentioned, this kit is durable, always looks and sounds great. There would no regrets buying this fine kit, anyone would be proud own and play these.

sptucker

Reaction score
I bought a set of 3-ply Mahogany Cortex Luddies about 16 years ago on eBay. The wrap was in rough shape, so I rewrapped them in Green Sparkle. Gigged them exclusively for 15 of those 16 years.

Wonderful sounding, utterly bulletproof drums. Somebody please buy these now.

jsp210

Reaction score
I'll do $1200 shipped with a random assortment of heads rather than the new ones listed, $1350 if you want all the new heads included. Last call on these. Going to keep if not sold by the end of the week.

Latest posts