1977 Imperial Star retoration

damp12000

Reaction score
I've just picked up a 1977 Imperial Star drum set over the week-end for an unbeatable price. However, it's not in the best cosmetic shape.
I've been looking through various threads here but still have questions that I couldn't find an answer to.

Here's a few pics of the damage on the chrome and the wrap.

DSC_0601.JPG

DSC_0602.JPG

DSC_0603.JPG

I am planning on removing the chrome and using a microtowel with soap to try to clean up the wrap. I've seen tons of discussions on here about buffing the wrap with a machine and I'm not sure that it would work/be the right approach... any advice?
As for the chrome for the lugs, the snare or the hardware, I'm unsure what the best way to clean them is... I've seen threads where people used vinegar and water baths, but I'm not sure how that would work for the bigger pieces.

Also, one of the cymbal stands is missing the assembly to hold the cymbal in place... here's a picture of the one I have

DSC_0605.JPG

it looks like the thread on the cymbal stand is roughly 6mm. I'm not sure I could get this exact part (I haven't found it anywhere online), so I was wondering if these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CNQ9SW would be the right thing to order, along with https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002F787G and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002GZUTI ?

Also, full disclosure, I'm not a drummer... I'm a bass & guitar player would wants to learn. I've taken some drum lessons in the past but never owned a kit :( so this was the perfect opportunity to get one and have a nice project as well

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chrome is easy. Get hot water and Dawn and either a micro fiber towel or NON-abrasive sponges so as to not scratch the chrome. It should tear thru rust and dirt. Also, Windex (or any blue window cleaner) works. I'd soak all chrome parts in hot water/Dawn for a few hours - throw, butt, rods.

Not sure about the wrap. I can't tell what kind of spots those are. I'd start again with hot water/Dawn and a micro fiber cloth, then maybe the sponge (make sure it won't scratch but it shouldn't). I don't have a buffer or patience to do something like that.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
After the initial cleaning with dawn soap & water you can polish all the chrome pieces along with the wrapped shells using Turtle Wax Chrome Polish. Wipe it on full strength, let it dry to a white film, then buff & polish everything off with a cotton rag.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like you need a top cymbal section tilter/extension assembly. Very available on Ebay.

Your kit has the 2nd gen drum muffler style from the '78-'83 era. Makes the drums more valuable since mufflers went away around 1983/early 1984.

And you probably have the die cast hoop Imperialstar King Beat snare drum (super sensitive mechansim) with the 1st gen muffler....so probably a '76-'78 drum. Once cleaned up those are $200-$275 drums.
But could be the Mastercraft version with parallel throw off assembly.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Imperialstar parts are easily found. It's just a matter of finding them priced right. Often, it's just cheaper to buy a drum with a distressed wrap and harvest all the parts, especially the $40 muffler assemblies.

damp12000

Reaction score
And you probably have the die cast hoop Imperialstar King Beat snare drum (super sensitive mechansim) with the 1st gen muffler....so probably a '76-'78 drum. Once cleaned up those are $200-$275 drums.
But could be the Mastercraft version with parallel throw off assembly.
Here are more pictures of the snare. I don't think it's a King Beat, it looks like a 8045 CL from this flyer https://www.facebook.com/Thevintagejapanesedrums/photos/p.1045073772273696/1045073772273696/?type=3 from what I can gather. Here are more pictures:

DSC_0607.JPG

DSC_0608.JPG

DSC_0609.JPG

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very early Imperialstar with double adjustor/throw.....'75 to '77? Die cast hoops too. An early version of Tama's better snare drums before they offered the Mastercraft and Kingbeat lines.
That's a nice high quality snare drum.

Novus polishing system works pretty well on Tama Imperialstar wraps....takes out a lot of old hairlines in the finish. Clean shells with Dawn soap and water first. Use a soft cloth or you'll put hairlines in the finish. Final wipe down with Windex.

Last edited: