1980 Tama Superstar

drumrtommy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just picked these up on offer up. Thought for the price why not. I actually own a set of these with the ReRings, I'm letting a buddy use those ones for his studio, I think they are the maple owners? Anyway, The sizes to these shells are a 24 kick 13 and 14 Tom. They have some obvious gashes but not the worst I have seen, edges will need to get redone. I usually take them to a custom builder in town but I am thinking of maybe fixing them up myself? I was going to sand and wrap or use tung oil, haven't decided yet. I will have my drum builder do the edges however. Should I worry about the plies peeling or not? I have played vintage Ludwigs where it didn't matter, should it matter here? What would you guys do? Maybe just slap some heads on and jam?!

Attachments

67Mopar

God Speed Jerry
Reaction score
Those will clean up fine, glue and clamp the seperation, I have parts if your missing any

Big Beat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Cool find! These are my absolute favoite MIJ drums. Clamp and glue, touch up edges very lightly with sandpaper only in the worst spots, replace the missing parts. Clean them up, buff them out, polish the chrome, but otherwise leave them alone. I would not wrap or refinish these or re-do the edges. They don't need anything more than just a little basic TLC. A matching floor tom might take a while to find, though, and likely cost more than you paid for the rest of them.

For inspiration, my set below started out something like yours when I found it.

Attachments

drumrtommy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Big Beat said:
Cool find! These are my absolute favoite MIJ drums. Clamp and glue, touch up edges very lightly with sandpaper only in the worst spots, replace the missing parts. Clean them up, buff them out, polish the chrome, but otherwise leave them alone. I would not wrap or refinish these or re-do the edges. They don't need anything more than just a little basic TLC. A matching floor tom might take a while to find, though, and likely cost more than you paid for the rest of them.

For inspiration, my set below started out something like yours when I found it.
Looks good!

Latest posts