1980's Ludwig Classic

mgarr

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I bought a 1980's Ludwig Classic Kit a long while back. Beautiful Kit. Eye candy for me as well as an AMAZING jazz kit and conversation piece. I bought them from the original owner awhile ago. I didn't know what I was getting and he didn't know what he was selling. 22, 16, 12....great jazz sizes and they tune up so beautifully. I'm looking to sell them because I don't play them enough and I am running out of space. They have the Chicago Keystone badge without a serial number. Which leads me to believe this was a transition kit from the time when Chicago was closing and Monroe was being implemented. Any idea on a price..? I can take more pictures as well. Thanks guys.

Attachments

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Ludwig changed location in the mid-late 1980's.
Pre-serial number badges went away around '63-'64.
Is it possible to get a close up of one of the badges?
It kinda looks like th current large keystone badge, but its hard to tell from such a small picture.

Elvis

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
Hi not sure of value, but welcome to the forum, Ben

mgarr

Reaction score
They say Chicago on them. I'll post it. My fiance is sending me these pictures from home. I'll have a better one shortly.

Attachments

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
They are definately 80's Ludwigs. They have probably been rewrapped at some point as Ludwig was using a different patter of white marine pearl then. The pattern they used in the 80's-early 90's was prone to shrinking and cracking so I would not be surpeised if the original wrap on those either cracked really bad or just completely came apart. Since your bass drum hoops have the hoops rounted out for inlays, I would guess that your set was made around 1984-85 just before the full move to NC. In the later 80's Ludwig just used a solid black hoop and stopped offering inlays in the hoops which IMO looked awful!

I think your set looks nice but six ply Ludwigs probably won't fetch a ton of money. If I were to guess I might say $6-700 bucks max. Iam almost certain that your drums should have been rewrapped at some point and depending on the wrap job and how good the job has held up can also affect the price. Good luck and welcome!
-Kurt

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
...btw, MGARR,

Are you selling just what's seen in the first picture you posted, or is there hardware that goes along with it also?

Elvis

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
mgarr,

Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The pre-serial badge is gonna be 1985. Started back up with them in '86 "

Mudjacker2,

Now that this conversation has gone on for a bit, I seem to remember something about the large gold Keystone not having serial numbers for a while.
What are the years on that again, and when did large gold keystone badge production start?

Elvis

mudjacker2

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Elvis said:
mgarr,

Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The pre-serial badge is gonna be 1985. Started back up with them in '86 "

Mudjacker2,

Now that this conversation has gone on for a bit, I seem to remember something about the large gold Keystone not having serial numbers for a while.
What are the years on that again, and when did large gold keystone badge production start?

Elvis
This is a transition badge and it was used starting sometime in 84 and most of 85. They moved to Monroe in '85 and went with the Monroe badge, which had serials. I think some of the trans badges might have had serials too.

Latest posts