1980s Rogers R-360

gspatazza

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1980s Rogers R-360 kit, it definitely needs some work done, but does anyone have any advice on the types of heads I should use if I want a classic jazz sound. I am not familiar with Rogers shells and the type of sound they produce. I understand skins are a preference, however I would not use the same heads I play on with my Yamaha Hipgig or Tama Swingstar (yeah I know, poplar wood, gross... but it's a great road kit and can take a beating). The Rogers is going to be used as a 3 piece and mostly for gyspy jazz and ragtime. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I had an older version of the R-360 and I just used coated Ambassadors back then.
Seemed to work ok, but the toms had bent rims, so I was never able to hear the kits true potential.
These days, I'd get new rims, but I'd probably go with a combination of Fiberskyns and Skyntones on those drums.
Gives the drums a fatter, warmer, darker sound.
I'd probably do FA's on the bass and snare batters. FD's on the toms and put the Skyntone on the front of the bass drum (possibly the resonant side of the toms, as well).

Elvis

Last edited:

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've always used coated Ambassadors or equivalent 1-ply coated heads on all the Rogers sets I ever owned to get that classic jazz sound.

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
On an aside, a few years ago, I never even heard of the "Gypsy-jazz" genre, of which you play, but now I'm a huge fan of it!.

The Avalon Jazz Band is a favorite of mine, although they don't always employ a drummer:

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
On an aside, a few years ago, I never even heard of the "Gypsy-jazz" genre, of which you play, but now I'm a huge fan of it!.

The Avalon Jazz Band is a favorite of mine, although they don't always employ a drummer:

Wow! I love that! They're as much fun to watch as listen to - the killer combo. Thanks so much for posting that.

GeeDeeEmm