1st snare build - 7" R2D2 Birch Snare

jlanephoto

Reaction score
This is the first time I've ever built a drum. I started off looking for a 5" birch shell to use with my Pearl Free Floating snare frame to go along with a new Pearl Sessions Studio Customs kit. After much research ended up buying a Keller birch shell, which came in a 14" x 12" size. Rather than just let them keep the extra 7" I didn't need for the Pearl frame, I decided to pay them to put bearing edges on the other 7" piece and send it along as well. I figured I'd do something with it one day since I had the 5" shell I needed. Within a couple of weeks decided to have a little fun and totally geeked out when I found that Bum Wrap Drum Company would do custom wraps. So I placed my order for this size and a different related design for the 5" and got busy ordering hardware. Wood working is not my best skill, I will be the first to admit. I mis-measured and mis-drilled a few times and ended up having to do a little wood putty repair before finishing. But the results surprised me. My wife was impressed, and my guitar playing leader of his own band son was totally surprised how well it came out. After hearing it, he wants me to make one for his drummer.

image0.jpeg

Last edited:

egw

Reaction score
Looks great! How does it sound?

REF

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bravo.

Forgive my ignorance but, what does the design represent?

Oh, wait. R2D2. Star Wars reference?

jlanephoto

Reaction score
mlucas123-thanks! Hoping from a distance you don't see it.

egw-Deep!! I was pleasantly surprised. Given it is a Keller shell, I probably shouldn't have been. I have an Evans EC1 Reverse dot on it, tuned low, and it punches about like you'd expect a 7" snare to punch. I will try an Ambassador or Emperor on it at some point just to hear the difference, but I personally have grown fond of the Evans EC1 Reverse dot as a snare head. Just me.

REF - yes, R2D2 from Star Wars.

Reactions: egw

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Very cool idea! Yes, the first build almost always results in some mistakes. It's a learning experience for sure. You learn QUICKLY, that measuring and measuring and measuring, and then measuring again before drilling will lead to the best results. I'm in the middle of my second build. I'm also not very experienced with "wood working". Wrapping is a bit easier than trying to end up with some amazing glossy finish on a veneer---which is where I'm headed.

Looks neat.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Love the cast hoops - but not in blue. The white looked much better - and I'll bet you think so too, huh?

Try one of those DIY powder coating kits and make the die casts white.

GeeDeeEmm

Drm1979

Reaction score
This is the first time I've ever built a drum. I started off looking for a 5" birch shell to use with my Pearl Free Floating snare frame to go along with a new Pearl Sessions Studio Customs kit. After much research ended up buying a Keller birch shell, which came in a 14" x 12" size. Rather than just let them keep the extra 7" I didn't need for the Pearl frame, I decided to pay them to put bearing edges on the other 7" piece and send it along as well. I figured I'd do something with it one day since I had the 5" shell I needed. Within a couple of weeks decided to have a little fun and totally geeked out when I found that Bum Wrap Drum Company would do custom wraps. So I placed my order for this size and a different related design for the 5" and got busy ordering hardware. Wood working is not my best skill, I will be the first to admit. I mis-measured and mis-drilled a few times and ended up having to do a little wood putty repair before finishing. But the results surprised me. My wife was impressed, and my guitar playing leader of his own band son was totally surprised how well it came out. After hearing it, he wants me to make one for his drummer.

View attachment 429804
That's awesome.