2-piece Ludwigs: Where to start?

Butch1970

Reaction score
So, I’ve decided to venture down this rabbit hole and would like to check out a 20’s-30’s Ludwig snare with a 2-piece brass shell. Rather than jumping right in and dropping a lot of coin on a Black Beauty I figure it might be wise to check out a NOB with essentially the same shell.

Can anyone recommend a particular model to keep an eye out for ?

Thanks!

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
I can't recommend a size but the 2 piece 4x14 I had wanted to sound like a 6" er!
Those hollow bearing edges give those shells their distinctively different sound.
IMHO
Love them
Good luck

Butch1970

Reaction score
Thanks, All!

I’ve been chasing that “2-piece shell sound” with modern metal drums and think it might just be time to try the real thing.

Not opposed to trying a 6-lug drum but would probably be happiest with either an 8 or 10-lug.

Was 5x14 the most common size for Ludwig in the 20’s and 30’s?

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I gather the 5” is more common. Seems like more lugs, more money. The 8 lug is desirable. Try a Wanted ad. Consider looking in the general and specific aftermarket locations. Check the sold listings for price. Wouldn’t be surprised if a Standard is about one-hundred per lug.

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
5x14 is the most common size. I’d get an 8 or 10 lug model, non Super. They’re great drums!

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
I've got a few of these. They do not disappoint. My favorite sounding one out of the bunch is my number one or two sounding snares. It is a '23ish 5x14 8 lug model. I've had one other of these as well. I use the original hoops and replace the original brass clips with modern replacements that don't break easily. Some of the early models had straight hoops(no flange) and used steel clips. Those hold up well but are often found on the 6 lug models since that is what the early snares were. Good luck!

Mike

Commodore

Reaction score
I have an ongoing thread on old six-lug brass snares ...that has details on shell construction. All early brass shells seem to have been made for the drum manufacturers by outside companies.

Six lug shells sound more open than 8-10 lug shells ...because less mass can better vibrate.(resonance) The counterbalance is the 8-10 lug shells staying in tune longer.

Today, we have nylon washers, and other simple tricks to help with tuning.

I’m buying all the nice six-lug drums that I can. You should have at least one!

Last edited:

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love my 1929 6.5x14 Super Ludwig.
It's a SuperSensitive, so it's probably not as common. And it also has snare wires under both heads, so it has more choices when choosing sounds it produces. I can independently choose one or both sets of wires.
Stretch

Attachments

• full side view.JPG
    full side view.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 14
  • strainer handle side.JPG
    strainer handle side.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 15

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 20's 5x14 10 lugger. It is an amazing piece of history and drips of mojo! Even though it came to me with a few serious extra holes (who the heck would put holes in the Ludwig logo????....&^%$#@!), it plays way fatter and I have gigged with it on some fancier museum gigs (but I'm still watching it like a hawk JUST in case!)........I swapped out the original hoops/clips for a patina-ed set of brass triple flange hoops. They look great and I don't need to worry about breaking the clips.

I'd love to grab a 4x14, too. But I have a Worldmax 4x14 10 lugger that fits that need. I know it is NOT even close to the real deal but size wise, I do have that covered.......

GrandpaCleve

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

WOW!

gkrk

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

WOW!
Wow, indeed! But that's a 4X14, not 5X14. I should put mine up for sale.

GrandpaCleve

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My main snare is a 5x14 8 tuber. I have a 4x14 8 tuber arriving tomorrow. It will be my first to experience this size. The butt plate either needs a screw or a replacement backing plate if the hole is stripped. Hope it just needs a screw. I'll be listening for that low frequency of the truck till arrival.

Last edited:

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score

WOW!
YEP!! Was just coming here to post that. The last one of these that I sold was about 5 years ago...800 bucks with newly acquired calf heads. Somebody really wanted this one on Ebay. Looks more like a 4x14 to me though. That's Black Beauty (Deluxe) money right there....Mike