header.nohb.html

2-piece Ludwigs: Where to start?

Butch1970

Reaction score
Yah, I was actually following that one and realized it was a 4x14, which would’ve been nice to snag, but I didn’t think it would sell for anywhere near the price that it did !!!

Still keeping my eyes out for some 2-piece goodness :angel3:

campbellh

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
YEP!! Was just coming here to post that. The last one of these that I sold was about 5 years ago...800 bucks with newly acquired calf heads. Somebody really wanted this one on Ebay. Looks more like a 4x14 to me though. That's Black Beauty (Deluxe) money right there....Mike
Exactly - makes no rational sense...

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
These seem close to impossible to get a deal on nowadays. I picked up a an ugly 4x14 6-lug dance model, rusty rims, dents, but complete for $85 (Ebay). I installed triple-flanged rims and a practical throw-off (using factory holes), and it's a great sounding/playing work-horse.

Reaction score
Some of the old 6 Lug Universals had two piece shells, I had one for a while before I bought my BB. And actually the two shells weighed the same. We weighed them together (with a few extra lugs) before I bought the BB. Same shell, minus the Black Nickel and the scrolling.

It's tough to tell which are two piece and which aren't from outside and afar. The two piece Universals do have a slightly larger bead around the center though. You are on a very worthwhile quest though, NOTHING sounds like vintage NOB two piece!!!!

However, the Slingerland Artists and Professionals are one piece shells, and sound REALLY good (better strainer too.) I think they are under four figures right now, and worth a look!

Good luck!
MSG

happyshump

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Where do you get the modern replacements that don’t break? I bought a bunch from Drumfactoydirect, they are brass and certainly don’t last that long. And I don’t crank.
I've got a few of these. They do not disappoint. My favorite sounding one out of the bunch is my number one or two sounding snares. It is a '23ish 5x14 8 lug model. I've had one other of these as well. I use the original hoops and replace the original brass clips with modern replacements that don't break easily. Some of the early models had straight hoops(no flange) and used steel clips. Those hold up well but are often found on the 6 lug models since that is what the early snares were. Good luck!

Mike

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m thinking the buyer of that 4x14 might have regrets after seeing this one.

GrandpaCleve

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just in this 4x14 that was a best offer auction 2 weeks ago. Arrived and only needed a screw for the backing plate that went missing. That rounds out the collection. All set and glad I'm done pulling em in.

The 5x14 8 tuber was a shell with hardware and the 2 rims when I found it. No matter what I did to it the plating was shot. Found drilled for a P-83. Had the 2 smaller holes from the original throw off filled before plating. I had it re nickeled and then even though it only has 8 lugs asked John Aldridge to put the floral pattern on it. He filled in the bare spot across from the throw off with my signature. That was my main gigging snare for many years.

Attachments

• IMG_1748.JPG
    IMG_1748.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1749.JPG
    IMG_1749.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1750.JPG
    IMG_1750.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Where do you get the modern replacements that don’t break? I bought a bunch from Drumfactoydirect, they are brass and certainly don’t last that long. And I don’t crank.
I was referred to drumsonsale.com years ago and bought them online. Just checked and looks like they still carry them....Mike

happyshump

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was referred to drumsonsale.com years ago and bought them online. Just checked and looks like they still carry them....Mike
Great, thanks. Did you order the vintage type or the Gibraltar ones?

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Great, thanks. Did you order the vintage type or the Gibraltar ones?
It has been nearly a decade since I got them. I just got the ones that were nickel instead of the brass ones. They look great and have given no trouble at all....Mike

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has been nearly a decade since I got them. I just got the ones that were nickel instead of the brass ones. They look great and have given no trouble at all....Mike
I've been buying the nickel ones from DrumFactoryDirect and using them on my 1929 Super Ludwig. Never had a problem with them wearing out.
Stretch

Butch1970

Reaction score
Good info on the replacement clips! Seems practical to outfit the batter side with them if the drum will see a fair amount of use….keep the originals stored and safe.

Butch1970

Reaction score
The 6 lug drums can sound fantastic as mine does.
I’ve had 6, 8 and 10 lug NOB drums and I much prefer the 6 and 8 lug drums for their more open tone.

This drum sounds really great, as does the playing! I would’ve expected the 6-lug drum to have lots of hard to control overtones flying around but that doesn’t seem to be the case .

HalldorL

DFO Master
Reaction score
I
This drum sounds really great, as does the playing! I would’ve expected the 6-lug drum to have lots of hard to control overtones flying around but that doesn’t seem to be the case .
Thanks, it does sound great. A very pleasant drum to play with no strange overtones. It also feels great under the stick.
Another thing is it holds tuning really well although only 6 lugs. And I hit some heavy rimshots a lot.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
You won't be disappointed in a 6 lug version. I have 4 very early ones with the exceptionally large center bead. All are 6 lugs models. 4x14, 4x15, and two 6.5 x14s. They sound great. These were made prior to the 8 lug offerings....Mike

OttawaDrumGuy

Reaction score
I started looking for one a few years ago, and eventually jumped on the first one I saw that I thought was affordable. I got lucky on a Concert Dance model - 4 x 15 with 10 lugs. It's my first 15" snare drum, and while I usually like deeper snares, this one has a lot of body to it.

Ludwig 1920s Concert Dance Snare.png

Ludwig 1920s Catalogue.png