2 Very quick cymbal Reviews-22 UFIP Super Nova/20" Istanbul Mehmet Xperience Xcast China

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
I got these two off Amazon a few weeks ago but only got a chance to use them (in a studio) this past weekend.
FWIW...I paid $107 for the UFIP and under $100 for the Mehmet.

UFIP-
The supernova is B8 and not considered part of their pro line (pro sound for intermediate price). The top looks like a gloss gold rude....no lathing no hammering...just a flat sea of gold. The bell is a little smaller than you'd expect but shines like you'd expect a UFIP would. The bottom is also unlathed but seems to be hammered in a very deliberate design (reminds me a little of Sabian's Pro Sonix). The sound is very glassy...to me...very Paiste like....but what made it a keeper for me (besides the low price) was that the wash is a little dark and dirty. For the dream pop tune we recorded (it might be a few weeks before I can link to it) it was perfect.

Mehmet-
The description says something about the line being made to fit in the mix with drums...not above it. the cymbal is hammered and unlathed (natural) and has a small bell. it can easily be use for riding and the bell is usable but slightly integrated. Mehmet says : Dark, low overtones with punchy highs & mids with a lower sustain level, this series is for those who like to keep their cymbals a little quieter than their drums or perhaps like to mix things up a bit. I used it for both tracks I recorded only as a crash and it took loud and softer hits well. I need to explore this one more in practice as I think it might be a bit of swiss army knife (lots of useful uses). Fun fact....the picture on Amazon showed it w/rivets but it was not described as having rivets...I might not have ordered it for the picture was right...I complained to Amazon and they took off 20%. Oh...for 20s"...the cymbal is very light.

Latest posts