2 Vintage Cymbals: $44 (Sabian/Zildjian)

Coelacanth

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just scored these--I'm on a roll for vintage cymbals, lately!

The first one which caught my attention was a 14" Zildjian Crash in perfect condition. I won it for the minimum bid of $29.99. The same seller also had a 15" Zildjian Crash but it sold to someone else for $47, and a 16" Sabian Crash advertised with a 1" crack (no mention of where or pics to show it). I inquired about it, and it turns out the crack is only 1/2" and on the edge. It had a BIN of $20 but the seller gave me a $6 discount for combined shipping. Sold for $14.00!

Both are pre-80's according to the seller. $44 plus shipping on two vintage cymbals, bring on the cheapies! :D

Sabian:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/w...em=170254181700

Zildjian:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/w...em=180283302807

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Coelacanth said:
Both are pre-80's according to the seller.

The Zildjian could be pre-80 but the Sabian isn't.
Sabian was founded in 1981.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
man,you must be living right. you have scored some great deals lately. :)

mike

Coelacanth

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sabians sure aren't easy to identify, not like the Zildjians are, with their different stamps and logos over the years. Oh well, once I receive them, I'll put up better pics.

Cannons

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The earliest non-HH Sabians, what I term "pre-AAs," have no Sabian logo on the tops of the cymbals, just model designations, ie. Medium Thin Crash, in small hollow lettering. The bottoms of those cymbals have small Sabian logos and size info in the same hollow lettering. Those date from around '81-'84 or so. The next run have Sabian logos and hollow model lettering on the tops with Sabian logos and hollow size lettering on the bottoms, dated '85-'88 roughly. After this time they began calling their machine hammered line AA and the rest is history. I have a few pre-'90s Sabians and they are great pies, some of the most underrated and undervalued cymbals out there right now. I think they leave the newer AAs in the dust.

It's difficult to tell what age your new-to-you Sabian is by that one pic of the cymbal's bottom (and why the bottom only?), so post some better pics when you get it and that'll help to date it more closely. In any case you landed a couple of nice scores there. Keep us posted!

Coelacanth

DFO Master
Reaction score
It seems like the seller doesn't know much about drum stuff, I gathered that from our communications. All 3 of her recent cymbal auctions only had a single picture, no closeups, just a simple description.

Cannons

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Coelacanth said:
It seems like the seller doesn't know much about drum stuff, I gathered that from our communications. All 3 of her recent cymbal auctions only had a single picture, no closeups, just a simple description.

I've found that in a lot of those cases it's easier to get a real steal . . . I mean deal from the seller. Which it seems you did. Good on ya!

Latest posts