header.nohb.html

20’s Ludwig NOB: super Ludwig vs universal

Classicdrummer

Reaction score
What’s the difference between these drums? Have an opportunity to buy a universal and I’ve always wanted a 20s super Ludwig. I notice there is a significant difference in how much they both go for. What separates the two in sound and construction?

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A Super has a parallel mechanism. If the universal has a heavy brass shell and at least 8 lugs- that’s a winner, IMO.

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As a Concert/Orchestral drum, the Super (w/two piece shell) is one of the most sensitive drums ever made when dialed in correctly.
The option to individually tension each snare strand with option combinations of wound wire, cable or gut makes it one of the most versatile snares ever made....not bad for 1924.

Powertone

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What’s the difference between these drums? Have an opportunity to buy a universal and I’ve always wanted a 20s super Ludwig. I notice there is a significant difference in how much they both go for. What separates the two in sound and construction?
As mentioned previously, the Super is a heavy brass two piece shell with Super parallel mechanism.

The Universal is a much lighter shell and is more of an entry level snare.

I think what you may be thinking about is the heavy brass two piece shell Professional separate tension drum. Same shell as the Super but with the standard strainer. They are wonderful drums, but do command a premium price.

Reaction score
Some Universals have 2 piece shells. Look at the bearing edges, if they have closed chamber type edges (on top and bottom) where the shell wraps around and is soldered to itself forming a closed chamber, buy it no matter of 6-8-10 lugs. GREAT shells, and great drums!!! Nothing beats 1920's NOB 2 piece shells!!!!
MSG

KCJazz

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Two piece shell with a bead in the middle to hold it together. Back then they couldn’t get strips of brass wide enough to do a single piece so that’s what they did instead.
Wouldn't the bead be for reinforcement?

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The two pieces are soldered. The bead may, in fact, be there to also hide the seam. The bead is two layers, as the pieces are overlapped.
BE3DAC39-80B9-4584-B691-BB3BC447A560.jpeg