20” K Custom Dark Ride vs 21” K Sweet Ride?

phoster

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Has anyone played these side by side or have any experience using both?

I’m curious to better understand the differences between the two. Thanks.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
one's a newer design development than the other
KCDR is a twenty year old design
they may have learned a few things since then.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Not side by side but my take is the Dark Ride is lighter and darker sounding, would sit lower in the mix (live or studio) where the Sweet has a higher pitch, in fact the one I played next to an A Sweet Ride, the A was lower pitched. I like and use K's but actually like the A Sweet Ride better.

felis

Reaction score
I've got them both.
I prefer the KCDR, but for all around general use, the K Sweet is probably the better bet.

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree with Blue Shadow. Complete different applications. Both are awesome.

I had a 22” KCDR and 23” K Sweet. I liked both, but if you were playing rock on stage, you’d probably want the Sweet. Other than that, it’s all preference.

Rick

Reaction score
I don’t have any experience with the sweet ride but I do have a 20” K Custom Dark ride. Let me put it this way... For a rock gig, I could get by with the K Custom Dark but I’d opt for my 20” K ride instead. For just about anything else, I’d choose the K Custom Dark over the straight K.

Don’t know if that helps any... basically, that K Custom Dark is a great, very versatile cymbal.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My KCDR 20” is my go-to ride for big band and louder jazz combo/light rock gigs. I saw it at a drum show...tapped on it...walked away...went back...tapped on it....took it off the stand and took it to the dealer and said “I want THIS one.” That was quite a few years and hundreds of gigs ago.

Bob Blackwood

Reaction score
I have both, and each one works very well for me. I have a newer KCDR. For me, Zildjian got it right with these two. The 20" KCDR is higher-pitched (but not high-pitched, if that makes sense), with a tighter "ping" and less overtones than the 21" KSR. Both have a great bell, good definition, sits with a somewhat lower pitch, and are adequately crashable. The medium thin weight works for each. If I was reduced to two rides, these would cover it for me. I play a wide variety of styles (not bebop or Latin) and couldn't be more pleased. I still have a 21" K Custom Hybrid ride which is heavier (medium weight) and pinger than I like, unless I'm playing louder rock.

I've had the 21" K Organic (nice bell, too dry for me), 20" K ride (good definition and bell, not very crashable), 21" A Sweet ride (good definition/wash ratio, but too bright/high-pitched), and 22" K Custom Dark Medium (Cindy Blackman-endorsed(?), should have kept this one). I've let all of them go, and - excepting the 22" KCDMR - don't regret it.

mw13068

Reaction score
I'd take a K Sweet if I got a good deal, sure. But my 20" KCDR is without doubt my favorite piece of metal. Both as a ride and a crash -- live and in recordings -- I love playing it and hearing it. It sits so nicely just under the vocals.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
KCDR is generally pretty nice for a lot of things. Had one long ago, but I gradually moved to a few other models. But if I’m using a 20”, I typically use one of my old As or my orchestral ride...I prefer those for me.