20” K Custom Med. Ride vs. 22”

Tony G

Reaction score
Hey now!

I have a 20” KCMR, which I love, but was looking for something lower pitched with more volume. I bought a 22” thinking I’d be getting a “big brother” to my 20”, but the 22” doesn’t have the spread or feel of the 20”. It’s quite a bit more ping-y with very little spread. It feels almost clunky. I bought the 22 on-line (I know, mistake #1) and it came as advertised, excellent condition, a few stick marks. I went back to my 20 as my main gigging ride.

Any opinions on the 22”? Is it the difference in size or the characteristics of that particular cymbal? I’ve found K’s to be somewhat inconsistent, so maybe a different 22 could be closer to my 20? Should I try to find another 22 that I can try live, or just look for something else altogether?

foxy_shazamtastic

Reaction score
Yes there’s a pretty large weight range with that cymbal. Some are almost medium thin and crashable. Some are quite stiff.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My 22" Medium K Con has rivets in it. I think it sounds beautiful. One of the few Zildjians I have in my stable. I have never tried the 20" though.

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In my experience, all Zildjians still vary A LOT.

I've had two 20" KCMRs, one was quite a bit lighter than the other, too light for what I wanted at the time. The one I kept is a great Medium Ride, plenty of stick definition, but still very crashable. Has a neutral color, not too dark or too bright....

I have one 22" KCMR. Total opposite of the OP's experience: it's thin and trashy, not pingy at all. A very nice cymbal, but NOT just a larger version of my 20.

With Zildjian, I think it often comes down to the specific cymbal, more than the model and size....

Good luck!

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
My 22 kcm is fairly pingy and high pitched. Some what easily crashed, but I've never completely fallen in love with it.

The 22 k dark medium imo is much better

Tony G

Reaction score
Thanks, all!

Your replies have supported what I was pretty much thinking.

I’m going to try shopping some rides I can play in-person and find what I’m looking for. I was out yesterday, but didn’t find the one.

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I also agree that the k custom medium rides can differ from one to the other as I've just found out. I've just bought a used 20" one off eBay and it sounds a lot different to the one I used to have, the other had more defined stick definition and not much wash, this new one is worrying me a bit as it seems to be a bit to washy. Funny thing is in the 1st room at rehearsal I played it in it was perfectly balanced but not so in the other 2 rehearsal rooms. Ride cymbals drive me crazy. I've never played one in a 22 though.