20” Sabian Artisan light ride vs 20” K ride

Jazzhead

Reaction score
I have listened to a lot of jazz and have become interested in a specific ride sound that is very sweet, not too washy, with good stick definition, and easily crashable..it is realy that sweetness of the sound that got me interetsed, the sound of the ride is not too bell like, it is very mellow. I know lots of companies offer different rides, but I mainly prefer Zildjian(Vintage and modern) or Sabian.

Through my research, I have found that 20 Artisan light ride and K ride are very close to that sweet sound that I am talking about (They may not sound sweet to your ears though) but I hope you understand what I mean as sweet when you listen to these 2 cymbals (especially the Artisan). If you know another zildjian cymbal that sounds close to this Artisan let me know.

If you were to buy one of these cymbals for jazz, which one would you go for? The K is almost $150 cheaper used but lets just consider the sound for now. See below the links to both cymbals.

20 K ride:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0FvvrtlyWjs&t=85s

20 Artisan light ride:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M9nfwhL3ddA&t=104s

NewVintage

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd personally much prefer the Artisan over the K for jazz. The K Constantinople line will be a better comparison to the Artisan ride if you're wanting to stick with Zildjian. Hopefully that helps!

Jazzhead

Reaction score
NewVintage said:
I'd personally much prefer the Artisan over the K for jazz. The K Constantinople line will be a better comparison to the Artisan ride if you're wanting to stick with Zildjian. Hopefully that helps!
I agree the artisan is more comparable to K consts but both k consts medium thin Low and High models dont sound sweet like the Artisan. However, the 20 K Const Renaissance seems to be the closest sound to Artisan light ride, check this out!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QmHM4V-h1nw

SteadyEddie

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have an Artisan 20" light ride and it is a very nice cymbal. I do not have any comparison to the K.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have owned both of these. I think K' s are less consistent so it's a little hit-and-miss for me. However, the ride in this video you posted was fantastic. I like the Sabian but I don't like the crash or the Bell. Zildjian had the Bell, crash and a great stick sound and of course the K.
I do think the Sabian is cooler looking with the hammering, but the K in the video is my choice. If you're going to buy one sight unseen, I would not expect that sound. Similar, but that one was sweeter than most I've heard.

Jazzhead

Reaction score
JazzDrumGuy said:
I have owned both of these. I think K' s are less consistent so it's a little hit-and-miss for me. However, the ride in this video you posted was fantastic. I like the Sabian but I don't like the crash or the Bell. Zildjian had the Bell, crash and a great stick sound and of course the K.
I do think the Sabian is cooler looking with the hammering, but the K in the video is my choice. If you're going to buy one sight unseen, I would not expect that sound. Similar, but that one was sweeter than most I've heard.
I agree, the K doesnt sound like that in all the videos I have seen. The reason I posted that video was because of the quality of the video and the way the drummer plays it.
My coworker has a Artisan light ride and he says his sounds exactly like the one in the video. If I buy unseen I will probably go with the Artisan.

Have you also had 20 K Const. Renaissance? That one sounds similar to the Artisan.

avedisschwinn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My first impression is that the K bell is very strong and the cymbal is nice and clear, but the artisan sounds like it crashes better, and has a more integrated sound from stick to crash to bell. I would choose the Artisan for acoustic jazz, but the K might be better for louder fusion-y stuff.

Jazzhead

Reaction score
avedisschwinn said:
My first impression is that the K bell is very strong and the cymbal is nice and clear, but the artisan sounds like it crashes better, and has a more integrated sound from stick to crash to bell. I would choose the Artisan for acoustic jazz, but the K might be better for louder fusion-y stuff.
True, the Artisan crashes very nicely and effortlessly, it sounds sweeter too. For jazz, I think I will go with the Artisan, even though my crash and hihats are zildjian. I will look into K const Ren first before pulling the trigger on an Artisan.

Jazzhead

Reaction score
JazzDrumGuy said:
I haven't had or played a 20 or 22 K Con Ren ride.....but I am looking for both.....
I havent played it either but in every video I have watched (even recorded with a cellphone), it sounds very sweet and jazzy.

jazzerprm

Reaction score
Jazzhead said:
I haven't had or played a 20 or 22 K Con Ren ride.....but I am looking for both.....
I havent played it either but in every video I have watched (even recorded with a cellphone), it sounds very sweet and jazzy.
|I have an Artisan Light 20" - very jazzy indeed, beautiful cymbal. Wonderful stick and amazing wash. I often play it with a K Con MTH 22" and Sabian Artisan Elite 14" hats - it's a great set up. The Light opens up really easily. The only thing I would bear in mind is that it does seems to be a intrinsically louder cymbal and therefore takes a little getting used to - once you get the dynamics right it's perfect.

Latest posts