20" Bounce ride...thoughts?

Sammybear

Reaction score
Pros or cons? For context, as main ride or left side ride (paired with 22 K Con Med) will also play with assorted Zildjian (15" K light or 14" New Beat HH's, 16" Custom Session Crash, 18" K Sweet Crash, 10" Flash Splash). Also in context with any music genre and as maybe an only cymbal (along with HH's) for small venue gig. DF community members thoughts always appreciated!

Sammybear

Reaction score
.....also, I am considering giving up a 19" Kerope for 20" Bounce. So, lower level volume characteristics, such as that in the DNA of the Kerope, would be important in the Bounce.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a 20" Sabian HHX bounce ride in a medium to medium thin weight. And I don't have any idea what makes it a "bounce." It's a tad bright. Crashes ok

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
.....also, I am considering giving up a 19" Kerope for 20" Bounce. So, lower level volume characteristics, such as that in the DNA of the Kerope, would be important in the Bounce.
I know the two only remotely but a 20" K Bounce seems Lively.. You may be over-cymbal-ing.

Sammybear

Reaction score
I know the two only remotely but a 20" K Bounce seems Lively.. You may be over-cymbal-ing.
JDA... that was my hunch also. Many of the sound files from drum shops seem to use some compression, which mellows some of the "bright" or "liveliness" out of the cymbals, so it's difficult to tell sometimes. Thanks for the great feedback!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I had a 22" Bounce - too loud and not washy enough for jazz, so I sold it. I would think the 20" would be similar but maybe higher pitched?

I have learned that even with K Cons, there are good and bad ones.......and I don't care what Zildjian labels it - does it sound good and work for you? It didn't for me.....

Ang

Reaction score
I had a 22" Bounce - too loud and not washy enough for jazz, so I sold it. I would think the 20" would be similar but maybe higher pitched?

I have learned that even with K Cons, there are good and bad ones.......and I don't care what Zildjian labels it - does it sound good and work for you? It didn't for me.....
I agree with this, my 22” Bounce is great and I sold off my 22” Con. MTL because that one wasn’t working for me. I use the 22” Bounce and a 20” Con. Lite with 3 rivets.
Gotta find the one that works for you with your other cymbals.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I had a 22" Bounce - too loud and not washy enough for jazz,
this maybe where I'm saying it's possible- with some new Zildjians- the ones that have really been "worked" over ---- it's possible-----needs to be played a Year before it settles (it, you, it) in together
Some are so radical it takes a year to capture how to ride/drive it
Then you have it under control...-forever...

Blaze

Reaction score
Hi Sammy, I've had a 20" K Con Bounce, and a 22" as well. I liked the 22 better, but it wasn't my favourite. I like the 22" Medium Thin Low, the 22" Medium Thin High, the 20" Medium Thin Low, and the 20" Renaissance (these last two are my favourites). I've tried most K Con rides. The 20" Bounce didn't last long for me -- it had an almost sleigh-bell thin ping, very distinctive. It was a good cymbal, like all K Cons. But K Cons are very inconsistent. I've had three or four different 22" Medium Thin Lows, all different, and sold the best one to a friend about five years ago. He still has it and calls it his best cymbal, but recently played it in a rock band and everything except the wash disappeared in the mix. I've had probably 10-15 different K Con cymbals in the last five years, including hi-hats (three different sets, I believe -- my latest set the best, though I always use 15" Custom Special Dries). And it's looking like, soon, I might be down to just two or three K Cons (the 20 Medium Thin Low, bought second-hand, warped, mainly a crash, sounds great, but an anomaly, and the 20 Renaissance, open, low for its size, but could perhaps use more stick definition in a busier mix, and also a 16" crash, second-hand, cracked, $90, but trusty). I hope some of this helps with your decision.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Coming from Old Ks,
I like the plain K line....
found 'the similarity' there..

I'm a simple man.
K Constantinoples I've bought over the years aren't me. (owned 3 or 4 maybe 6 incl. hats and 18s)
K Customs- probably not me. (owned 1)
K Hybrids..maybe... probably.. no.
K Keropes... I own all the old Ks I could ever need (hats, lefts, rides) so there's no use (sense) in attempting to replace them.

So it's, plain K -Line for me.
For- from- a Modern Z.

One's I'm sure I like:
K Light Hats (don't own)
K Light Flat (don't own but have played yum)
K Dark Medium (own)

I'm cool. Want/need/ nothing.

(I can..) mix a K Dark Medium on the right with Old Ks on the left.
And it's a compatible modern/vintage thing.
Good enough

Without owning and without all the years playing Old Ks, I would not have known, what to expect- or what to want from a modern "Avedis" K. I'm lucky. The knowledge gleaned from Old Ks dictates, guides, all cymbal choice and endeavors where ever it takes you. Even to Switzerland or any where in modern Turkey etc. Old Ks are my touchstone for all cymbals. Doesn't mean in every circumstance, "I stay there" ; it means I know how to look, guides 'how I look' going forward..

lemme say this too..Old Ks and new Ks in some combination-are not- the perfect cymbal for every gig. I have a very high end gig (occasionally) where I 'sense' the bandleader won't stand for any experimenting wagering minute acute adjustments- on stage. For 'that' gig I have a full set of " K -lite " from another manufacturer cymbals; go in get job done get out..

Last edited:

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not a quiet cymbal. There was a recent thread about the Pre-Aged Dry Light, a bit similar maybe.
Coming from a 19" Kerope, what are you looking for? Higher pitch? Take the 19" A Avedis into consideration.

Reaction score
Not a quiet cymbal. There was a recent thread about the Pre-Aged Dry Light, a bit similar maybe.
Coming from a 19" Kerope, what are you looking for? Higher pitch? Take the 19" A Avedis into consideration.
I did exactly this, and while I still have and love a 20" and 22" Kerope, my go to set of cymbals are the A Avedis line (14", 18", 19", 21"). They have the warmth, tone and stickiness of the Keropes, but seem to be more versatile and sit better in a mix when played along with amplified instruments. The 19" was purchased to serve as a crash/ride between the 18" and 21", and it fulfills that purpose perfectly. It's worth checking out if you can find one, just remember they're all different (like the Keropes).

eigentone

Reaction score
If I had to reduce to 2 rides I own or have owned for everything, I would go with a 20 Con Bounce and a 22 Con MTL.