header.nohb.html

2002 Big Beat vs Giant Beat to mix with Old A’s.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m considering saving up for a 24” Paiste multi as I’ve always wanted a thinner washier 24” than most A zildjians.

I won’t make a decision until I get a chance to try some out somewhere I’m looking for opinions on which series would blend well with mostly older A zildjians? When trying out cymbals in stores I can quickly decide if I like a cymbal, but its harder to judge how they pair up until you have some time to live with them. Thanks in advance for any insights

stuart s

Reaction score
The A's are great, but dont have the glassy shimmer and darkish sparkle the Giant Beats have. I dont ever mix them personally because when I do, I never hit the A's. I only use the A setup for certain songs/band covers.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The A's are great, but dont have the glassy shimmer and darkish sparkle the Giant Beats have. I dont ever mix them personally because when I do, I never hit the A's. I only use the A setup for certain songs/band covers.
The A’s I already have, so not looking for a whole new setup. I’m just giving up on finding a thin 24” A and thinking of looking to Paiste

Redbeard77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I haven't played them together, but as a Zildjian A fan I tend to prefer the Giant Beat or 602 crashes I've played rather than other Paiste lines.

purity

Reaction score
Just take the plunge on the 24" big beat. It's an insanely good cymbal that gets overlooked. Beautiful wash, awesome bell, great crash, etc... It still has that distinct Paiste sound but it has a darker edge that I think would blend well with what you have.

mpungercar

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just take the plunge on the 24" big beat. It's an insanely good cymbal that gets overlooked. Beautiful wash, awesome bell, great crash, etc... It still has that distinct Paiste sound but it has a darker edge that I think would blend well with what you have.

As a formerly "all zildjian" guy, I moved to Paiste Big Beats a couple years ago, and they're my favorite cymbal now. As purity said, they have that distinct Paiste sound but with a darker edge. Regarding the Big Beat 24", it's definitely on the light side for a ride cymbal, and I'll use a 24" Giant Beat when I need a more distinct "ping" from my ride. For me the 24" Big Beat works well in a lower volume setting, or when I want a very washy kind of ride sound. Don't get me wrong though, both the Giant Beat & Big Beat are definitely multi's in the truest sense. You can ride either, and both cymbals make excellent crashes.

Last edited:

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I feel like Paistes are best when mixed on their own, but no rules there. I once had a GB 24” and it’s a beautiful cymbal. I’m more a Zildjian guy, so I gravitated back to nearly all Zildjians. The K light is a great one, and I feel like it’s more versatile between jazz and rock and anything really. Just my 2 cents, but no right or wrong here.

GMFrancis

Reaction score
I’ve got a 24” GB, BB and a JR Masters deep ride. I like them all and use them for different gigs with my band. The GB gets played most with the BB kept for really big rooms. I think either would work with possibly the BB edging it. The JR Masters is a killer ride cymbal, very clean ride , nice bell sound and an ok crash.