2008 Chicago Drum Show

Drum Kat

Honorary DFO Ambassador
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, we're off to a good start. Lots of great stuff has already come and gone and the show hasn't even officially started yet! I am really tired so, I will keep it short for now. I will try to keep everyone informed as time allows. I will post pictures later.

Troy, Johnny, Eric and I had dinner a little while ago, so it's about bedtime. Must recharge for a full day tomorrow. Gotta hit the guitar show early tomorrow for Eric :D

It is cool that we have gotten to meet just about everybody and it has been a killer vacation for me. Stay tuned! ~Kat

Keep us posted Kat! It's killing me not being there. However, being at work today, fulfilling the requirements and needs of my superiors, customers and employees brings me the highest level of satisfaction. NOT!!! :? :? :?
Have a blast!!!

Chris

Bongojimi

Founder
Reaction score
Kat
thanks for Pre-show post
Wish I could be there but as fate would have it ...We're hosting a Preakness Party. I'll be thinkin drums while eating Crab-cakes.

Bongo

Jimmy Willis

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for the update Kat!

I'm planning on being there tomorrw. Are there any Amber Vistalites there?

Drum Kat

Honorary DFO Ambassador
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure about Amber Vistas, but dang.........there sholl is a heap-o pretty-pretties. Get there early! We're up and about to head over there now. Stay tuned~Kat

ricco

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, KAT. Wish I could be there, but know I will be fully apprised of the happenings. Have fun!

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm only a bit over 100 miles away but I can't get there until tomorrow (due to a gig tonight that's 40 miles in the opposite direction) and it's killing me...I hate to think of what might be there that I want that will be gone by tomorrow.

Oh well, shouldn't spend the money anyway and maybe I'll still find something cool tomorrow...even if I will be a sleep deprived zombie by the time I get there.

4164SB

DFO Master
Reaction score
They're celebrating the 35th anniversary of the filming of American Graffiti all weekend long here in town, so of course I wouldn't want to be in Chicago at some dumb drum show...
:director2: :director:

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
If anyone has a chance to check out a 6.5x14 George Way Aero snare I would appreciate a quick review.

thanks

Drum Kat

Honorary DFO Ambassador
Staff member
Reaction score
All I can say is WOW! I have had a full day. First off, there is a guitar show in town too, just up the road. Eric and Troy's nephew, Johnny really wanted to go. We came by the drum show first and then went on up to the Expo Center to see the guitars. Well.....I only lasted about 25 minutes there. The guitars were beautiful, but I was jonesing to get back to the drum show, so I ditched the guys and drove back to the Fairgrounds. :D Troy went and got them later on.

So much happened that I will just have to list it off. Saw most of Carmine's Clinic and got his autograph, got to meet Chip Ritter, Preston Ritter, Billy Ward, John Craviotto, The DW Artist Relations lady Juels Thomas, Terry Breese, Rob Cook, talked to B3 a bit and got another autograph and talked to pretty much everyone in the Ludwig camp. :notworthy: Let's see...talked to Liz and Terry of skins-n-tins, the wonderful guys at Rock City Drum Co., the Ellis Drum Shop guys and gals, Donn Bennett, Drum Factory, Steve Maxwell, Bart Elliot and now the list gets fuzzy :drunken:

I got to hang out with most of the DFO guys and l@tebloomer (Fran) at the booth. We had a sign in sheet and I tried to get pics of everyone who signed in while I was there. Troy will have to give a final tally of all who signed in from the forum and who made it into the group shot. I saw so many of you forum guys that I am in awe of such a great place we have to here in drumforum.org. Dave, dang it you missed the group shot! Bun didn't make it either. I will post pictures when I get back home.

Troy! We had such a blast, wish you didn't have to leave so soon. I am a little nervous about meeting Cindy and helping to tech for her. I got it all squared with DW and her hardware should be a snap. Make sure Johnny gets that film developed soon!

Ya'll stay tuned! ~Kat

Drum Kat

Honorary DFO Ambassador
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, did I mention that the Drum Show had a few drums?!?!?!? :D Think of it.....almost an entire acre of drums and drum stuff vintage and new! Pictures to follow as soon as I can. ~Kat

Kevin OConnor

DFO Master
Reaction score
Drum Kat said:
Oh yeah, did I mention that the Drum Show had a few drums?!?!?!? :D Think of it.....almost an entire acre of drums and drum stuff vintage and new! Pictures to follow as soon as I can. ~Kat

Kat,

You are impending Guru, but we all knew that a long while ago 8) Congrats!

bbunks

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Day One was pretty great -- and the ringing in my ears will remind me to bring plugs tomorrow!

Had the master class with Billy Ward and as always, that was great. Brought my 16-year-old son Chris and he really enjoyed the class.

Loved the Bob Moses clinic, simply because he was coming from a place about music -- not technique -- and seemed to be having fun with it. I first heard him 30 years ago, so it was cool to have the chance to see / hear him.

Lots and lots and lots of drums. Lovely drums. But there were some drums that made me think folks were smoking crack to believe they'd sell ($1000 for a very used, not in great shape double bass set of EXPORTS?????). Drooling over the Craviottos and the Joyful Noise drums. Hmm.....note to self: go back to both booths tomorrow.

Met Kat and Dave H; had my photo taken at the booth but missed the group shot (where did you guys go???).

Coming back to see Billy's clinic. Though I've had 2 lessons with him, seen 3 or 4 of his clinics and had the master class today, I ALWAYS learn something new. He is indeed my drum guru.

See you guys tomorrow. I'll be the older guy with a graying beard and glasses who plays drums -- can't miss me!

Joyful Noise from what i hear is the next big thing in metal snare drums.Top notch qlty and service w/o the "tude" :wink:

Kat...You mentioned the noise level there.Is it from "show offs",kids,inconsiderate people [the same guy who drives slow in the fast lane and does,nt give a crap],wannabees,or a combo of everything??...Years ago, i remember being next to the cymbal booth was tons of fun.Never knew what a migrane felt like till that show :roll:

Troyh

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Just got back, as we had to leave early for an engangement this morning, (Sunday). I still haven't recovered.

I just get the 'wow' factor everytime. Plenty of drums and plenty being sold. Some of our gang scored some beautiful kits. I will let them elaborate when they get home.

My favorite part was just hanging with the members and other drummers. King Trixon and I made several laps, with me bugging him about specific parts I was looking for.

I would've loved to walk around with Mardi Gras, I can just hear him his internal voice, "Got that, got two of those,..." etc.

Bun's always a blast to hang with and Kat and Eric were superb, as always. Kat and I walked around several times with our mouths hanging open.

More coming up later...

Here are a few photos....

Ya know you have a couple of look alikes in that group.I see a K Arnoff and a Mick Fleetwood...Anyone else?? 8)

Latest posts