2008 Chicago Drum Show

bbunks

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just returned from an afternoon of Drum Show. I left without buying anything other than popcorn and lunch, but the words ".......turn around and go back to Joyful Noise's booth" were ringing in my ears. My goodness Curt makes some stunning drums. I stood back and listened while one guy tested a snare and the rimshots were just fat and beefy. Totally all there!

Hung and spent time with Billy Ward and loved his clinic. Have seen Billy a bunch in the past and this was the most performance-focused clinic I've seen him give. He left it all on the floor when he was done -- not much else to give and he really wailed!

Most Valuable Player Award goes to DrumKat who had a real life drumtech experience with Cindy's kit. I will let her tell the tale, but I will only say that her blood pressure should be much lower now and Cindy should be requesting Kat for all of her tours!

Can't wait 'til next year!!

Drum Kat

Honorary DFO Ambassador
Staff member
Reaction score
:sith: I am tired but, I will make this my official 1000th post :occasion5:

I will give a brief overview of today if possible. I knew I'd be doing something for Cindy but, I wasn't sure exactly what. I was told to "take charge of the hardware." There was a guy working for Rob Cook who was in charge of picking up the Artists and driving them to and from the Fairgrounds. He was also supposed to coordinate the set-up. He wound up having to drive Carmine to and from the show and pick-up Cindy.......well, you see where I'm going.

I met him with the kit @ 1pm. He says, oh by the way Cindy said that one of the floor tom leg mounts is missing a screw. He split to do his gig. I figured I'd polish them up for her so, I put elbow grease to them. When I got to the floor tom I noticed that that missing screw was going to be a big problem. I scrambled to get it fixed. With out going to a lot of detail....I got Mitch from Rock City Drum Company to help me. Thank God Mitch had his tools (Bun asked me the day before if I had tools....) He really helped save the day.

I was helping Juels Thomas the DW artists relations lady to get Cindy hooked up. Juels was also Teching Billy Ward's clinic too. So, we were kinda helping each other. I got to hang out with Billy Ward for about an hour in the green room while he tuned his kit. What a great guy. He was warm and funny. His clinic was great.

Cindy got there and didn't have much time to decompress. I tried to get her hooked-up with whatever she needed. She was a little nervous it seemed so, I said hey it's only a room full of drummers. She laughed. We talked a bit and I debriefed her on the floor tom issue. I told her that the part would have to be replaced.

I can't even describe just how sick her jazz licks are....she has Tony Williams down. She new all the greats. Art Blakely, Elvin Jones..... Read her article in the newest Modern Drummer for all the details on that...I can't really do the story justice.

She hits so hard, you could feel the floor shake. She stands up and rides her kit like a bicycle, when the force of her expression made her get up off her throne. What a phenomenal drummer. I saw her foot technique right up close. She dances on her foot boards. She wore black Converse high-top Chucks (sneakers) she had packed in her bass drum case. :shock: She warmed-up and just put that little Gretsch kit through the moves.

She dropped a stick and I handed it back to her. She took a lot of questions and then her last big whoopass solo her floor tom went down. Aw...crap. I bolted. I was on the wrong side of the riser. It seemed like an eternity but, we managed to get it back up. She never missed a lick. I had to duck some but, it was all good. She proceeded to kick more ass despite the snafu.

She was great. I can't say how cool she really was. She is a very spiritual drummer. Her gift is sacred to her and it shows. I wish I could be as enlightened.

I will post all kinds of pictures when I get home. I gotta shoot some e-mails out and then decompress. We drive back home tomorrow. ~stay tuned~Kat

LizH

DFO Master
Reaction score
Kat, when you said "I bolted", I thought you meant you ran for the hills. :lol:

I really love techy drum stuff, one day I'll weasle my way onto someone's tour to tech it! I actually enjoy the OCDness of setting up and tearing down "just right...."

Sounds like an awesome experience, hope I can make next year's!

Eagerly awaiting pics!

old_K_ride

DFO Master
Reaction score
...is there 1 more pic of the group? I think I should be next to Winnie Mensik...I admit I got there at the very last second so maybe the shutter had shut when I zipped onto the scene...

the show was a blast.it was great to meet some DFO'ers and see old friends I'd not seen since 2004.the Sat nite dinner with Billy Ward was the highlight of the trip for me.what a great hang.just ask Sonorholic!

I gotta say Billy's clinic was phenomenal as was what I saw of Matt Wilson's.Matt closed his clinic with an incredible solo take on "Body and Soul" that was stunning.I got goosebumps from it...again-ask Sonorholic.

I picked up a sweet pair of mid 60's A 14" hi-hats from Vincent Curtis aka Vintage Drum Junky.
Vincent had an incredible display featuring a Rogers Blue Onyx 20/12/14 match P'tone plus another Blue Onyx kit with 6 1/2 wood Dyna,canister throne,bongos...both kits were in showroom condition. Vincent also had a very cool Ludwig Red Sparkle KB 24/13/16 with 6 1/2 x 14 wood shell snare w/P-83, not a Classic throw-off...gorgeous.
out o'sight,man-
TR

ambadextro

Reaction score
Hello All! OH...OH...I met DrumKat...and am sorry to say that Billy Ward's clinic...or the one that I was at, I was not able to make the group drumforum.org pic...which is fine...I'm such a newbie here...I feel like I need to earn my stripes...

Bun E and I did email each other prior to the show...as he and I have an aquaintance we share...so he also invited me to say hello to him at his booth......so it was great to meet Mr. Carlos...what a wonderful man! Didn't talk too much as the poor fellow was trying very hard to get in some kind of healthy looking snack...didn't want to get in the way of good nutrition! But it was a thrill to meet him...he was/is an influence...

Got to meet Bill Bunks...again, didn't get to chat too much with my forum friends that I got to meet...but it was wonderful to see their faces!

My report is over at Billy's place...you can link here...

http://billyward.yuk...m/topic/2461/t/ ... eport.html

Thank you all and I can't wait for next year!

Best to you all,
amba

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I didn't get to go and this one was the first one I missed in 10-12 years. I got home from my gig last night and my sister-in-law was waiting at my house to tell me my wife was in the hospital (I don't carry a cell phone to gigs). Turns out she will be fine, coming home tomorrow, but needless to say I didn't make it to the drum show.

Actually, this morning my wife told me to go ahead and go...but I've been down that road enough before to know better than to actually do so :) I'd still be hearing about that one 30 years hence. I told her she could have thought of a less expensive way to keep me from going though.

There's always next year...only 12 months to go :(

poot

Penncrest Endorser
Reaction score
Thanks for the good report and the pics. Who can provide a list of names to go with the photo? Many of us would like to know who those cha-rack-ters are. :wink:

Coelacanth

DFO Master
Reaction score
People keep referring to "Cindy" in this thread, but I couldn't find out Cindy WHO. Cindy-Lou Who? :drunken:

EDIT: Nevermind...I found out in another thread that it was Cindy Blackman--indeed, she's an awesome drummer!

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
I flew into Louisville on Friday at 9:00pm and I had an hours dive in front of me to my buddy's house in Lexington. I figured I'd be at his house by 10:30 pm at the latest after getting my luggage and rental car.

Well my heart dropped when the same luggage passed by me on the carousel 5 times and none of it was mine. It ended up being 10:30 pm before I got out of the claims room. I then went to rent the car and had to go down the line as I couldn't remember which agency I was with as my paper work was also in my lost bag. I got lucky and it was the 2nd one I tried but when I handed her a debit card she needed my return itinerary unless I had a credit card. I had taken the credit cards out before my flight to prevent an impulse buy and of course I discovered my return info was also in the lost bag. She told me to go back upstairs and get a print out. I went back up and there was nobody in sight and all the kiosks were shut down. I had my wife email it to my phone and went back downstairs.

She then told me that was no good but she had pity on me and let me have the car anyways. It was now midnight and my cell phone was almost dead and the charger was in the lost bag.

I got to my buddy's house around 1:30am as I stopped at a Wal-Mart to pick up toothpaste , etc plus a change of clothes. We had to get up at 4:45am to head for Chicago.

Headed out around 5:30 am. I had to stop by the airport to pick up the lost bag and we hit some bad traffic due to an accident.

A few wrong turns here & there and we arrived a little after 2:00pm. We made a quick trek around the dealers room and we were headed back out to grab my camera and ran into DrumKat and ended up going to see Carmine instead.

I had to leave after a few minutes as it was just too loud for me.
I missed the DFO picture as well but did meet LateBloomer, Drummer, Gary, Bijan, Mike Curotto and DrumKat. I had phone numbers but my phone was dead. I put on my Miami Dolphins Zach Thomas # 54 jersey in hopes that someone would make the connection with my user name here. Luckily Gary did as we were trading some parts with each other.

All in all I had a great time and I also bough a brand new George Way BDP 6.5 x14 solid shell snare drum. I was able to talk to Ronn Dunnett for a bit. I wasn't sure what to expect as I had heard all these crazy stories about the man. All I can say is the man showed pure class with me and even showed me some ultra cool files on GW himself. I think the name is in good hands.

the last man I met on my WAY out was Joe Luoma. I had no idea Joe is the Camco guru. We talked for quite some time and he taught me a lot of things about Camco I didn't know about. I also found out that Joe once owned my Burgundy Camco kit.

I'm hoping to meet TroyH tomorrow in Louisville. I'll post pics later.

old_K_ride

DFO Master
Reaction score
re:"noise level":YES.IT WAS.
Rob Cook used to give warnings over the PA in years past but this year I didn't hear any.
Saying that,Rob spent a good deal of time over in the clinic hall so he was removed from the exhibit area missing "the DIN".

I could name names of some offenders whose booths were near my location but won't... :blackeye:
Thankfully I have Westone plugs with me at all times so I wore 9db or 15db depending.
TR

Jimmy Willis

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I got back yesterday evening. Great time great show. I wish I could have met up with more DFO members. I met Drum Kat and another lady which I'm really sorry becuase I forgot her name. (She had a really cool hair doo. dark with a streak of red). Anyway both were very nice to talk with. There was some really cool stuff this year. Vintage drum junky had two Ludwig kits from the late 60's with 24 inch bass drums. You don't see that often. Me being a Ludwig fan of vintage 24' bass drums, I was tempted! As Old K mentioned, one was red sparkle and the other was WMP. He also had a WMP Rogers kit with a 24 inch kick. He wanted top dollar for them but they were clean kits. I saw a Rogers Red Onyx kit that a gentleman from Chicago had at his booth. They were a 22,13 and 16. They sounded great. He also had an 8 lug BOP Ajax snare drum that had to be one the the best sounding wood snares that I've ever heard. I kick myself in the butt today for not buying it but I just spent money on an Amber Ludwig kit so I need to cool it for awhile. It was great to see Mike Currotto, Bun E, Doug Carrington, Terry and Liz Hawkins and Randy Rainwater. Those guys are so much fun to talk drums with. Donn Bennett was there for the first time. It was good to finally meet him in person. The only down side about the show was the noise. Some moments were pretty annoying. I realize if someone is going to spend big bucks for a snare drum or kit they have to try it out but there were some guys just showing off there chops and letting everyone know how fast there triplets are. Even worse some people brought little kids into play drums which I thought that was totally uncalled for. Other than that, I had a great time and it was great to see some friends again. My wife and I went downtown Chicago for dinner on Saturday night and she took in some shopping while I was at the show. It was a nice weekend for both of us.

Donn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Saturday:
Up at 4:00 am, met my friend at 5:30 and it was off to the show. For once I-94 wasn't an endless stretch of orange barrels and we actually got to St. Charles with an hour to spare so we grabbed a good, hardy breakfast.

I was an early attendee of this show when Rob started it but it's been at least four years since I've been there so I was surprised to see that the old building was gone and happy to see that the "flea market" vibe was still intact. The show has gotten a bit more "legit" but it still felt like a big family picnic. (Assuming you like your family, that is.) It was great seeing the people I usually see at NAMM and Messe in a much more casual environment.

I had a personal realization strike me as I walked the floor: my thirst for vintage drum set has waned! I was surprised/disappointed/relieved when I walked the floor and had no desire to buy any of the drum sets on display. I still like 'em, i just don't want 'em. I did see some old snares and cymbals that I liked but not enough to open the wallet, especially considering some of the prices.

I walked away with a new 6.5x14 George Way Aero (#1 according to Ronn), a Protection Racket bag for the Aero, a new P-86 for my 402 and three new 24" Remo bass drum heads for $5.00 each.

My friend and I were tempted to meet up with everyone at the Irish Pub down the street for dinner but the reservations weren't until 7:30 and we had a long drive home so we went to pub, had a great dinner and were on our way home by 6:30.

Great show. . .I won't let another 4 years pass by.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Sounds like everyone had fun. I am sorry I had to miss it but I had good gigs this weekend. It's nice to actually make a little money now. :wink: Were there any psych red or mod orange sets there Kat? I might have to make next year as it will be the 100th anniversary for Ludwig.

Jimmy Willis

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Troyh said:
Jimmy,
I'm sorry I missed you. Did you score the Amber vistas at the show? I didn't really see any Ambers.
Troy, I met someone at the show that knew of an Amber kit for sale and I scored them. Thanks for your help and wish I could have met you in person.

Kurt, I did see a Mod Orange and Phsyc Luddie Kits. I believe Randy Rainwater snagged the Mod Orange kit.

Troyh

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Picture identification:
Front Row, Pic. 1:
King Trixon, TroyH, DrumKat, LateBloomer, Bijjan.

Back row:
Bongobob, Bermuda, Toddwig, MikeC, JDZ, Mr.B.

Plenty more forum-ites checked in, but were listening to a clinic during the shoot.

The second photo is the same with the addition of Winnie in the Red and Tanco in the blue.

Old K just missed this one but I think I got him on film. We will see.

More pics coming up later.

Sonorholic

DFO Master
Reaction score
kerope said:
Come on Guys - who pi$$ed off Jerome (Sonorholic)????? :wink:
No One.. I was just fried at that point. So here's my $.02.. Flew in around 12 on Friday and decided to check out The Drum Pad as I'd never been there. WOW! It's easily one of the larger drum stores I've ever seen. I got some sticks and was just about to leave when Paul Mason shows up!! He and Ronn were in the area so we hung out. The store is split into two parts and in between there's an Ice Cream parlor... that's owned by a DRUMMER, You can practise while you wait for your Ice cream!

So then it was onto the show and set up. I had sent out the Tempus Challenge drums and so was there c/o Paul. I helped them unpack and get things ready to go. Then it was off to dinner and back to bed.

Saturday I got there around 9 am and soon ran into Billy Ward who had me come up and hang out before the master class. The class itself was great, even if he did describe my jazz ride beat as Dairy Queen Ice Cream!! Everybody got a chance to play and it was a really good time too!!

I was at the booth off and on and am pleased to say that most folks couldn't tell the wood drums from the Fiberglass.. even some who did get it right said they were just guessing!

Walking around I saw a lot of nice gear.. I was bummed that the Maple Ludwig Jazzette sold... There was also a BDP Leedy & Ludwig 20,12,16 that caught my eye, but I resisted. I did get a Sabian HHX prototype and some very old Paiste 15" Heavy hats which are both very nice. Paul was nice enough to ship them, so they should arrive this week.

The dinner hang Sat. night was a lot of fun.. all but one at our table were from Cincinnati and there were great stories and jokes all around. I ended up staying later as I was Ronn and Paul's ride and had fun talking to Joe Luoma ..he's a fun guy for sure.

Sunday was pretty similar.. I was just burnt out. I'd manged to keep my voice more than usual, but was still very tired by the end of the day. As for the clinics.. Matt Wilson was amazing. He gave an excellent clinic and played his ASS off. Body and Soul was super deep, he went way beyond the usual drummer playing the melody kind of thing. I've known him since his time in Boston and don't get to see him as much as I'd like. If he plays anywhere near you.. don't miss it!
I caught a little bit of Billy and Cindy too, but was having to watch the booth as well.

It was fun to see all the old friends and make some new ones.. Kat and Ambro especially. I hope my picture from the booth is better than the group shot.. then maybe you can just swap it in. ;) ;)

It looks like we'll have some new swank digs for next year... I can't wait!! :occasion5:

TR, did you sell that brillant A ride too?? That thing sounded like it had a sizzle in it and I don't think it was from a crack. If you still have it let me know.

ambadextro

Reaction score
Nice meeting you, Super Jerome!

My only regret in meeting you, Jerome was that I didn't get to spend more time with you...you and I seem to have like minds...humor, love, appreciation, music...you're the bomb, baby!

I look forward to keeping in touch and hope severely that we get to hang again ... soon!

You are my bro,

much love to you and yours, Jerome!

Peace,
amba

Drum Kat

Honorary DFO Ambassador
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi gang! Eric and I made it home late last night. It was a long, rainy ride from St. Chuck to Chattanooga. I am furiously using the bulk uploader on Photobucket to get all my pictures ready to post. So, stay tuned...there are some good shots of all the forumites, artists, drum builders and drums! ~Kat :thumbleft: