2019 Chicago Drum Show Roll Call!

mcjaco

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just a heads up. Mike's drum shop has a booth set up, and has a Mapex Versatus kit on display. You can go check out those new funky looking tom arms. :)
Saw that on Friday....unfortunately, kids baseball schedule and band practice ruled the weekend. Missed the show....Next year!

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
I know I'm in the minority, but I'm not sure how you guys do two days at the show. I was there last year for about three hours, and that was probably one hour too long.

Then again, I wasn't hunting for deals, and I just wanted to visit Mapex....who wasn't there. :(

I'll probably pop in again this year, but I have to wait to see what my kid's baseball schedule looks like that weekend.
It’s more about hanging out with friends that I don’t see other than at the show. I fly in from California too. It’s definitely drum overload and I only come out every 3-5 years. I’ll post pics of my show finds when I get home.

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
Thanks to the guys for standing still long enough for us to get two group shots. We still missed a few that could not leave their booths are were in other events scheduled at that time.

View attachment 397296
I was planning to make it for first photo shoot but couldn’t leave the booth. Second photo shoot I forgot to set an alarm on my phone and by the time I glanced at my phone I was 20 minutes too late.

Hopefully I will make it next year for the 30th Anniversary!

Mendozart

Jenkins-Martin rep
Reaction score
I had a great time at the show yesterday and it was great to run into a few DFO friends and chat in person. I'm in the back next to Bun in Kat's picture.

I'm only about 90 miles west of where the show is held so it's a no brainer to go to it every year and I have only missed one show ever since I started going (probably first went to the 3rd or 4th one back in the 1990s). No major purchases for me, not that I needed anything. I bought some Slingerland spur parts for a bass drum I'm in the process of reviving, replenished my supply of INDe mounts (eventually every drum I own that can have one of those on it will), picked up lots of free brochures and mags (MD and Drum always give away free issues) to peruse. I finally got one of Gary's Starr Fest drum keys, which is as close as I'll get to owning one of those drums. Grabbed a drum seeker snare bag at a good show-price. I was on a limited budget (as usual) so I didn't even look at bigger ticket items. Next year I will have one less car payment to make so maybe I'll finally get to attend with some real money in my pocket.

The coolest thing I brought home was a snare drum shell I bought from Stone Custom Drums. It's a prototype shell. Undrilled but with edges, 3 ply, no rings. Wrapped in oyster black pearl. 5.5 depth. For fifty bucks I couldn't not buy it. I almost enjoy setting up projects like this to do more so than buying complete drums. I guess I'll be making my own Starr Fest snare, albeit not nearly as exact a copy as Gary's are.

View attachment 397195

Already looking forward to next year....
Nice shell Kevin! Was Bernie Stone there? I didn’t see him.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nice shell Kevin! Was Bernie Stone there? I didn’t see him.
He was manning his booth. He had several other prototype shells in other wraps for either $50 or $75. I picked the obp one for obvious (if you know me) reasons but upon reflection I wish I'd brought two, or even three, of them home.

Mendozart

Jenkins-Martin rep
Reaction score
He was manning his booth. He had several other prototype shells in other wraps for either $50 or $75. I picked the obp one for obvious (if you know me) reasons but upon reflection I wish I'd brought two, or even three, of them home.
Damn, I can’t believe I missed him. I was pretty busy at the J-M booth though.

KCDrumDad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got the Ludwig Gold Sparkle Jazz Festival (1969) at the Show and the Olympic 4x14 snare off of ebay while I was at the Show, so that sorta counts.

Attachments

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Bought a couple of 26" old As, a 22" Block Stamp and a pair of Quick Beat hats. Also a MIJ 60's Norma kit with a 16" bass drum.

Latest posts