2021 Goals

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My goal is to go the whole year without buying any drums. Taking a double dose of my GAS pills. I passed on a Force Maple kit, now it’s sold. Passed on some Rosewood Teardrop orphans, now gone.

So far so good, buts it’s early.

mws

Reaction score
Nice goals all around! I've got some similar ideas...

1. No shopping. I just completed a major purge, and I'm down to one kit, 2 snares, 1 ride, 1 crash, 1 set of hi-hats. I'd like to stick with that for the year and work on getting what I need out of it.

2. Start taking lessons (for the first time in my 15ish years of drumming)

3. Work on a home recording practice (drums and beyond), have fun, and be creative.

tkillian

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice goals all around! I've got some similar ideas...

1. No shopping. I just completed a major purge, and I'm down to one kit, 2 snares, 1 ride, 1 crash, 1 set of hi-hats. I'd like to stick with that for the year and work on getting what I need out of it.

2. Start taking lessons (for the first time in my 15ish years of drumming)

3. Work on a home recording practice (drums and beyond), have fun, and be creative.
Pm me. Im selling a bunch of cymbals and drums:D

Please help me meet my goal of selling most of my stuff

Last edited:

Tdipaul

Reaction score
Goals

Figuring out these that have been elusive for 35 years:
  • when to open the high hat in the Purdie shuffle,
  • the ending to Rock N Roll,
  • this one fill in Townsend's Slit Skirts
  • the bass/floor tom triplet/quadruplet(?) drum break in Tom Sawyer
...and staying employed to fund new things to tap on

Browny

Reaction score
Get back in the rehearsal room consistently with the whole band for the first time since March.

Play a gig. It’s been a while. After that, aim for some level of consistency in playing.

Keep improving my time, feel, internal balance, and consistency of strokes (particularly backbeats).

Improve my simple 2 mic recording capability. Most of that I feel will come from playing (and working on the above) but also nailing my mic placement, tuning for the room/mics, and some basic processing (reaper) to get solid sounding tracks we can use in demos.

Record an LP with the band after we’ve nailed all our new lockdown material. We’ve basically scratched all our pre-lockdown songs, think the new stuff is much better. Just have to refine it before getting it down in a studio.

Really nail the training for my 5 month old Golden Retriever X Kelpie puppy. He’s pretty good most of the time, but certainly has his moments where I feel like we’ve got a looooong way to go.

Continue to work on my grilling/smoking on the Weber kettle. I grabbed my uncles old 90s kettle before lockdown started here and got into charcoal while we were in lockdown, had previously only really cooked with gas. Held 135deg C for long enough to do a really small brisket yesterday, will step up next time and go to a much larger piece, maybe 10-12 hrs if I can manage it.

Find more time to sit back and play my records. Sit on the couch, turn the amp up, hit ‘shuffle’ on the Discogs app to pick something random from my collection and start there. Have maybe spun about a dozen since we got the puppy. Probably should get the old spin clean out and clean a few more discs too. I started working my way through everything last year and got about 3/4 through.

Trying to get a promotion at work, go up a tier.

Wouldn’t mind getting a dedicated rehearsal kit too so I can leave the 26/13/16 Radio Kings set up at home most weeks. Maybe find a 70s Pearl or Tama 20/12/14 with a tom mount and cymbal mount on the bass drum to reduce the extra hardware I need to schlepp back and forth on a weeknight for rehearsal.

Yeah, that’s probably about me for the year...

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For drumming goals, I've been working on increasing my vocabulary of grooves that are so deeply ingrained that they can be done on autopilot.
For me, that means going back to basic beginnings of starting extremely slow and gradually increasing speed over the course of about 10 billion repetitions. Much easier to do when you're young, but it's never too late, right?

For gear - I'm a mess. I've got too much stuff - don't want to part with most of it, and yet there's still stuff on the radar.
Not sure if it's simple greed, or not having found the exact right combination yet. That will probably entail some unpleasant soul searching.

So, some basically pretty simple goals, but they'll still require a fair amount of work.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think Tom was setting goals, not resolutions. To me there is a distinction between the two. Like you, I don't believe in new year resolutions. Never have; never will. I do believe in setting goals and managing their attainment, and the ones that I articulated in a previous post is more of a planning horizon with milestones, as is Tom's the way I read his.
2021 Goals...seems the same as 2021 Resolutions to me.

No matter, I ain't doin' either one. I've already started what I want to do.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
2021 Goals...seems the same as 2021 Resolutions to me.

No matter, I ain't doin' either one. I've already started what I want to do.
I usually equate resolutions with such fantasies as losing weight, quitting smoking and the usual bull poopy. Goals are targets: work on brush playing, learn rudiments, obtain a qualification, etc. Of course, since English can be so imprecise, you are correct to think that resolutions and goals are synonyms. Many folks use them as such. I don't do resolutions, but as I stated in a previous message I do have some goals that are outside of the 2021 planning horizon, but are goals nonetheless.

Last edited by a moderator:

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow - some amazing goals here that I totally relate to. Not buying gear and getting better, I'm already on that path (could sell some of my stuff off and stick with the basic kit set-up I'm playing right now).

So much to react to - @tkillian , that brush work was amazing if that's you're maiden voyage into that craft. I don't own a pair of brushes and I really want to go there but there's so much to work on and I have to focus but if out of the gate I could be even close to that I'd be doing cartwheels.

Constructive feedback if I may and this is from a casual listeners ear moreso than from a seasoned drummers ear - it sounded like you got a little heavy handed later on in the set with the brushes and maybe that was the intent but I'm just throwing that out there fwiw because I think you wanted some constructive feedback. I really hope that helps, it was nothing short of amazing too.

@Tdipaul - I got chills almost on the first half of your goals, I can do the Purdie shuffle with closed hats on spot and I've been working on working open hats into it with some awkward success. Just takes time and practice but I'll (and you'll) get there, muscle memory thing. Then after that the fool for the rain version which I'm eh.. halfway there. I'm really happy with the basic Purdie though.

lol - and the ending to RnR, when I'm working on technical stuff and it's long and tedious and I know you know what I'm talking about, I just want to blast out something fun and I often go with RnR but I fudge the ending. It sounds good and it's really cathartic but it's not the written piece.

After that my goals are and I have them lined up in an achievable way is to get my rudiments on the practice pad better and they are but to get it to an approaching Wilcoxen level and I'm getting there. After that working on connecting my fills in a better working way that sounds coherent and not forced if that makes sense. And getting more groove, being mechanical is one thing but having groove comes later I think and it's coming but still a work in progress.

I hope everyone is happy with their goals and achievements this year, I really do. Everything sucks anymore and we have to find ways to make it less sucky and I hope the best for everyone this coming year.

Peace all

Last edited:

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
A little different approach. I tried to keep it simple.......groove better. Sometimes my time rushes, drags, is right in the pocket.
Sometimes my left hand is not "in time" and "swinging"

I loosened up on my grip a bit. That sounded better. I also played softer and more relaxed.

Almost there. Maybe 20 more tries..

Goals! Keep on trying and practicing.

Last edited:

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My drumming goals involve more actual playing, mixed in with my refurb/resto-mod work. I'd like to sell some of my stuff off. Deciding what to sell is hard. :banghead:

I'd very much like to find someone locally that could cut some shells down and put new bearing edges on drum shells.

I'm in Southern Indiana btw if anyone knows someone in my neck of the woods. I have one guy I need to contact.

I'd also like to figure out how to reverse degenerative disc disease in my my lower back. I don't really think that's a possibility, but it would make sitting on a throne easier. I might even get to the golf course 10 or 12 times this year if I could figure out my lower back.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
My guess is if you watch the clip here on the forum you cannot access the description i put? I am going to put descriptions in videos.
For instance the 2nd try i used VATER heavy guage wire brushes. I dont like them as much as the jeff Hamiltons. My next video i will use plain old zildjian brushes. A lot lighter and old school.

Its a recording of 14 standards. Piano ans bass from my friends in Syracuse/ Auburn. I just talked to Dave and asked if he ever thought of making this available on line and selling download for $10-$15 for us drummers to practice with.
He said he would think about it.

Im going to make brush videos if all 14 tracks
Screenshot_20210107-081730_YouTube.jpg

Last edited:

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent! I am also working the brushes this year. I find it to be a challenge and an art form. I enjoyed watching this and will subscribe to your channel.
Oh man, I'm terrible at brushes! I know it's part of becoming a well-rounded drummer. I just don't practice them but I want to.