20's ludwig 5x15...heavy 2 pc brass shell, horn 'gold' lacquer

tradrad

Pro
Reaction score
this is it...THE drum that has THAT sound!
heavy 2 piece brass shell ludwig, often referred to as the 'theater model' by the 5x15 size.
i have a bunch of these 20's/30's brass drums, and while i really love the real estate of a 15" head, and the 5" depth belies it's size in bigness of sound...this has just become redundant in the stable!
it is as i got it a million years ago...except i had to have it re-lacquered. for those unaware of what that means...a gold 'tint' is added to the clear lacquer that the drum is dipped and polished in...it's the same technique used for horn finishes and was really popular back in the 30's/40's among some drummers. i've had this one a while and it's definitely not a collectors piece due to replaced clips and tension rods here and there, funky old strainer/butt that might well have been replacements by the past owner, etc etc, but it's much better than a mere 'players condition' drum for certain :)
the top hoop is a 50s brass hoop the original owner put on. based on the story from the original owners son...he played in a latin band in NY and would clamp his bells onto the rim :p hence, there are some marks on the rim side. the straight hoop/clip thing wasn't stable/strong enough for him to do this so he made the change.
there are the prerequisite warts...those rim indents, a dimple ding on the shell (not major, but shown in the pic) and another small one to the left above the 3 heater holes (really hard to see), some of MY lacquer job (he'd had it done originally in the 40's by a big horn manufacturer in NYC) has started to age...some of the clips are repros, there are 3 'extra' holes above the butt that were there from the previous owner. not sure for what, but my guess was a heater unit long gone. i never asked, he never told me.
like i said, it's not perfect but the drum is as solid as they come...i have two 20s black beauties and a bunch of other deep 20s/30s ludwig heavy brass drums and this one was one of the good bunch. i'm only letting it go cause i do have others that i play more often. it wouldn't kill me to keep it, in fact it's killing me to sell it LOL, but stuff's come up that really requires attention and there are spare few bits that i want to sell these days...i'm in a lot of re-love with much of my gear!
happy to answer questions...this is pretty much the deal though.

$675 shpd/PPd lower 48 states

much as i'd prefer a straight sale, hit me with trade fodder...
my original aim was an 8x14 keplinger black iron, so with that in mind, i'd entertain other metals of quirky domain...copper, Ti, bell 'anything' (bronze or brass)...try me...extreme depths preferred (either real shallow or real deep :p)
special interest given to dunnett, joyful noise, AK and A&F

Attachments

• 20s side 1.jpg
    20s side 1.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 217
  • 20s side 2 butt ding.jpg
    20s side 2 butt ding.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 221
  • 20s side 3 ding.jpg
    20s side 3 ding.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 207
  • 20s side 4.jpg
    20s side 4.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 211
  • 20s side 5.jpg
    20s side 5.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 200
  • 20s side 6.jpg
    20s side 6.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 214
  • 20s side 7 strainer.jpg
    20s side 7 strainer.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 200
  • 20s top.jpg
    20s top.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 189
  • 20s bottom.jpg
    20s bottom.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 176
  • 20s edges.jpg
    20s edges.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 174
  • toprimmarks.jpg
    toprimmarks.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 160
  • toprimbend.jpg
    toprimbend.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 153
  • LUDWIG.jpg
    LUDWIG.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
This isn't fair... I want all your cast offs! :) Resisting would be easier if you weren't 45 minutes away.

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice drum!

My 2-piece 'Theatre' snare drum, also 5x15, has 10 lugs. I love mine.

Stretch

P.S. But I ended up selling it to have more money for my health bills.

jhall

Reaction score
DEAN!! This is amazing. Any interest in trades? Agop stuff... I have a killer Leedy that Joe put together... maybe some other things... I really want this just don't have the bread at the moment...
lets talk! 405.818.1921 or [email protected]

tradrad

Pro
Reaction score
well well well...
what have we HERE ^^

i figured maybe...a different time, a different space...maybe someone's looking for a KILLER 2pc 20's brass luddy...sounds every bit as solid as my 20's 4x15 black beauty!!! YUP...yooooo! and i dropped the price to meet my low end...

tradrad

Pro
Reaction score
a gentle nudge...a nod, per chance...for that someone who's thinking 'i'd love to get THAT sound for under 1K :)'

tradrad

Pro
Reaction score
for anyone else who might be curious...here are the files i do have...there was a more 'jazzy' thing but w/o snares, so it didn't seem worth it LOL

https://soundcloud.com/nailmusic%2Flast-stand-on-lake-champlain ...from a live set, starting around 4:50, you can get a glimpse at the fatbeat end of things...not real low but medium tuning with looser snares...and then i switch to a lil 8" dunnett stainless so you can get perspective :)

https://soundcloud.com/diggamag%2Ftonedef-promo ...cranked up and slammed, starting around 1:05...totally different tuning and snare tension than the previous file

Last edited:

tradrad

Pro
Reaction score
well...
it was sold, and now it's back...life happens, no harm no foul
same great price, same great drum.
doubtful you'll find a better price if this is the kinda drum you want :laughing3: