20x18 slingerland floor tom

hoochymama

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Greetings, this drum is in great condition. Silver sparkle, mahogany poplar three ply shell, all chrome is very good. Original heads. 400.00 plus actual shipping

Attachments

Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm befuddled. What's a mahogany inner ply shell doing with a black and silver Niles badge (ie 1970/71 serial)? A special build?
The badge sits pretty low.....well below center-line. Used to seeing them centered or higher up.

Last edited:

jmetatual

Reaction score
+1 with Tama. Badge placement is not as expected. Badge grommet looks a little funny, how about a picture of the grommet on the inside of the shell?

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My drum shop had a gold sparkle 12"-12"-20"ft-22" bass Slingy w/silver Niles badge and mahogany in the floor, maple all others. After it sat a while a customer brought in an old compilation album with the same kit on the back, except it had brass Niles badge and one rail for each tom. So it was somebody's special order kit.

It's very common for Ludwigs of the era to have mahogany in 18" or 20" floors, and I bet this is the same reason. Just using up what had been laying around - I've literally seen kits where NONE of the interiors matched that were delivered together. I have one that was sold together, though I'm certain the store made it from individual drums on hand, the original owner was convinced it was factory.

The point is, I always try and remember, "catalog correct" is guidelines at best, not gospels.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
+1 with Tama. Badge placement is not as expected. Badge grommet looks a little funny, how about a picture of the grommet on the inside of the shell?
As soon as I say that.....I just ran into a 20" champagne sparkle 1970 tom on Facebook that has that same low badge placement. An orig drum with orig heads too. So there you go.
I think some of what we're seeing are distorted camera angles.....that's very obvious with this other 20" tom. It may be slightly below center....but probably not as much as it appears to be in the downward shot.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplac.../?ref=product_details&referral_code=undefined

The problem with Slingerland and mahogany inner ply is that they stopped doing that around 1963. A shell wouldn't likely be left over for 7-8 yrs, esp. in the go-go 1960's when drums were flying off the shelves.
Still, they could have just grabbed a mahogany ply and slapped it together on a Friday afternoon....or early Monday morning.

Last edited:

hoochymama

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Gents, got the kit from the original owners son. It was in storage for many years. To my eyes it looks totally original. One of the small toms has the chocolate milk interior. All the hardware that came with it is also mint and same period. The shell is absolutely a slingerland shell, even has that old smell. All the wraps match. Don't know how someone would get that shell , period correct hardware, and make this drum. Grommet looks fine to me as well. Also has original heads and stick saver rims.

jmetatual

Reaction score
Being a 20" tom, it is entirely possible that raw shell sat around for many years before being finished out. 20" toms are not exactly fast moving inventory. BTW, is the serial number 38xxx or 88xxx?

jmetatual

Reaction score
Thank you. 88xxx would be expected for '72. Would still like to see the inside of the badge grommet.