21" K Sweet Ride

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody.
I'm currently playing a 19" k sweet crash and I love it.
I'm scoping out the K sweet rides and they sounds really great. Anybody have experiences with them? What kind of setting were you using it in?

I did a quick search and couldn't find any threads.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have one.
The weight is a bit in the middle weight range - 2445g.
Excellent ping. Excellent crash. Excellent bell. Outstanding sounds.
I use it with this setup in the studio ...

14 Sabian HH Prototype Hats
21 Zildjian K Sweet Ride - 2445g
18 Sabian HH Prototype Thin Crash
18 Zildjian K Constantinople Crash (first generation)
16 Zildjian K Dark Thin Crash
14 Stagg Splash / 8 Wuhan Splash
19 Sabian AA Holy China
10 Agazarian Splash

It sits perfectly as the foundation for quite a few setups. I like this one best.
Not the best ride I own, but it is fantastic.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What’s the best ride that you own?
Sabian 21 HH Vintage Ride. I've owned several. This one is an older one and is absolutely perfect from where I sit. Unbelievable crash, ping, bell, shimmer, warmth ... it has it all. One of the thinnest I've ever seen at 2300g. It's the quintessential "vintage" ride. I've purchased and tossed WAY too many Zildjian A rides over the years. As good as they sound at times, they don't hit all the check boxes and pale to this one.
But ... the 21 K Sweet Ride is an excellent ride. I use the heck out of it. It takes a bit more to open up, but it does. I like a lighter touch at times ... the 21 K Sweet really isn't a light touch cymbal.

Last edited:

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Our highschool has one. Its played in now and I personally covet it and want to use it for jazz gigs..but it could be used for alot of styles.

Nothing special...just workhorse, pleasing....under the band or in the mix sound.

If I owned it I would put one rivet in. Then get a 19" beautiful baby for my left side and 13" new beats.

Done. Jazz drummers dream and many other styles too.

Sweet
Beautiful
New

The SBN set up

felis

Reaction score
I've got one.
Not to be vague, but I'd say that it's more than competent, and less than truly outstanding in every way a ride can be used.
A really good general purpose ride.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I read the question-and all the replies (appreciated).

Question is-if the 21" Sweet K is a "good" general purpose ride, I'm curious which ride cymbal is a *better* general purpose ride in your opinion, assuming one exists?

Not busting-sincerely asking.

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Man, you guys are asking all of the questions I didn't know how to ask! I'm loving this.

Killian - the SBN system sounds amazing. I would love to play that. That's a great endorsement.

tripp2k

Reaction score
I seem to never be satisfied with the ride cymbals I've tried (10). The various YT videos of the 23 K Sweet seem to me to be the one to end the chase. Thus far, the 22 K has stuck around the longest but it still isn't the sound in my head. I need to hear one of these in person so I'm not on to attempt 11, 12 and 13 of my search.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I like all the soundfiles I've heard and have tapped on one at a local store may end up with one eventually. I need to take my two rides in the store and see if I am thinking correctly that one would be a nice in between my two rides (20" K crash ride and 22" Ride) sort of off topic, I like the idea of the Organic ride but they all seem too pingy with no crash except one that I found at GC Hollywood a few years ago that I really regret not buying and shipping home It had ping but crashed really nicely, I have no idea what made that cymbal different than probably 10 others I've tried and all of the soundfiles I've heard.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like all the soundfiles I've heard and have tapped on one at a local store may end up with one eventually. I need to take my two rides in the store and see if I am thinking correctly that one would be a nice in between my two rides (20" K crash ride and 22" Ride) sort of off topic, I like the idea of the Organic ride but they all seem too pingy with no crash except one that I found at GC Hollywood a few years ago that I really regret not buying and shipping home It had ping but crashed really nicely, I have no idea what made that cymbal different than probably 10 others I've tried and all of the soundfiles I've heard.
Funny....I'm looking for *ping* with some crashability. But the crash is secondary.

Less ping than my Sabian HHRBDR, but more ping than my 22" Istanbul Mehmet Nostalgia 50s....which behaves more like a crash than a ride....

Oh the bumps on the road to the perfect RIDES!

Last edited:

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Funny....I'm looking for *ping* with some crashability. But the crash is secondary.

Less ping than my Sabian HHRBDR, but more ping than my 22" Istanbul Mehmet Nostalgia 50s....which behaves more like a crash than a ride....

Oh the bumps on the road to the perfect ride!
There is no perfect ride! I’ve learned that it’s best to have a few on hand. This way, I can cater to that particular need instead of having only one to do every single thing.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There is no perfect ride! I’ve learned that it’s best to have a few on hand. This way, I can cater to that particular need instead of having only one to do every single thing.
Post edited SIR! "RIDES!" Lol

I agree apparently. I somehow wound up with 5 rides, a flat ride, and a 2 crash-rides!

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Post edited SIR! "RIDES!" Lol

I agree apparently. I somehow wound up with 5 rides, a flat ride, and a 2 crash-rides!
I know...I have too many rides....hi hats too but those are mainly vintage A pairs which aren’t terribly expensive. I could probably get by with say two rides though if I had to...

Mainly I like one with wash and another more defined/heavy.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I know...I have too many rides....hi hats too but those are mainly vintage A pairs which aren’t terribly expensive. I could probably get by with say two rides though if I had to...

Mainly I like one with wash and another more defined/heavy.
Yea...if the proverbial fire hit and I had to grab two rides I would orobably grap my 21" Sabian HH raw bell and my 'new' 22" K ride.

Those two cover that spread very well.

I brought the Sabian to church yesterday and it sounded fantastic for what we were doing. At times I consider puttng that one up for sale, and then I play it and think..."what are you nuts?!" That is the one ride I have that never disappoints for that heavy pingy ride quality.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score

Oh the bumps on the road to the perfect RIDES!
Yeah sounds like you are looking for a Ride Crash, which is what I need....not a Crash Ride ;) The 20" K Crash Ride goes to most of my gigs and is pretty close to what I want but need a little less wash when riding but still want the crash

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
When no one not even you "notices" the Ride- that's the perfect one.
20 Old K New Stamp couple rivets 2009g or so grams.
You notice it inside close up; Outside - it just streams along no one doesn't notice anything untoward.
recorded close mic'ed--it reveals inner upclose, beauty

that's the one. The one that doesn't bother you.
And Also Available on hand you can can have brash bossy messy ultra-whatever- rides...but long term peace of mind- it's the one that just floats unobtrusive (ultra-blender?)

So in the search towards ride freedom, instead of "looking" for the Ride. Unlook.
And get to the playing and to the expressing your hands/self.

Last edited:

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey everybody.
I'm currently playing a 19" k sweet crash and I love it.
I'm scoping out the K sweet rides and they sounds really great. Anybody have experiences with them? What kind of setting were you using it in?

I did a quick search and couldn't find any threads.
Not much help probably, but after watching/reading/listening to reviews ‘obsessively’ : ) and videos I purchased a 21” Sweet K ride from another forum member. I liked what I heard and read so much I bought a 18” Crash and 15” Hats Sweet K new. Haven’t used them yet but happy w/decision!

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When no one not even you "notices" the Ride- that's the perfect one.
20 Old K New Stamp couple rivets 2009g or so grams.
You notice it inside close up; Outside - it just streams along no one doesn't notice anything untoward.
recorded close mic'ed--it reveals inner upclose, beauty

that's the one. The one that doesn't bother you.
And Also Available on hand you can can have brash bossy messy ultra-whatever- rides...but long term peace of mind- it's the one that just floats unobtrusive (ultra-blender?)

So in the search towards ride freedom, instead of "looking" for the Ride. Unlook.
And get to the playing and to the expressing your hands/self.
I like this ^ JD...

I like it a lot.

Funny, until I joined this forum...I thought I HAD the perfect (for me) ride....*sigh*....

Snicker....

Reactions: JDA

Latest posts