21 Minute Jazz Ramp by Tommy Igoe?

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone else a fan of this exercise? It's on Groove Essential 1.0's CD but I rarely see much talk about it. To me its worth the price of the book.

It's 21 minutes of play along bass and piano playing a simple jazz progression that for each repetition speeds up from super slow to super fast over 21 minutes. They switch up the progression a bit just so it's not annoying. And it tops out at 360 bps.

What I like most is it forces me to to play at the extreme tempos that I don't practice as much, esp the super slow ones. And at the very fast tempos you start to figure out all the little muscle movements to maintain speed or skip notes and still try to swing. So sometimes I'll rewind it to the areas where the tempos are at the edge of forcing me to change a motion and try to find the transition and play around with it. Like, can I go a little longer pulling with my fingers before I have to switch to all down bounce to keep up and vice versa.

And when I'm low on any ideas I find ways to play it differently like:
  • Left hand Ride
  • Brushes
  • double shuffle
  • HH on all 4 beats like tony - this one kills me!
  • Left foot to BD where I just straddle the FT. It kind of helps the one above in making my mind feel the pulse on the left.
  • Someday maybe I can incorporate some clave foot patterns

I'm 57. I wish I had this when I was a young student. Instead I wore out my Pat Metheny and Buddy Rich records looking for the fast tunes.

I wish he had a version on itunes or similar because I'm always looking for my copy on my ipod or am telling people about it.

Last edited:

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Interesting, sounds good, on which Groove Essential CD is it...1.0 or 2.0 or..?

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's on Groove Essentials 1 and is listed as an Extra practice track, Track 88. He doesn't really write much about it. It's only mentioned on practically the last page of the book.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I did something similar: the brush dvd by Nussbaum/Smith has play-along tracks at different speeds, amd you can speed each track slightly to get in-between tempos. Good to work your way up.
360 bpm is quite fast! Not easy to find a band that can play that kind of tempo.

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like playing with the speed function on youtube and speed up some stuff (or slow it down!).

Yeah, 360 is fast. When you're done with the whole thing you need a break!

The thing I like about the igoe piece is the grooves are musical. It's not meant as a thing you just solo over like a lot of the other play alongs.

gids73

Reaction score
This is a great exercise. I feel that it covers so much of your fundamental jazz time playing. Do this and the rudimental ritual everyday and you're all set!

Last edited:

Paradiddlebob

Reaction score
Anyone else a fan of this exercise? It's on Groove Essential 1.0's CD but I rarely see much talk about it. To me its worth the price of the book.

It's 21 minutes of play along bass and piano playing a simple jazz progression that for each repetition speeds up from super slow to super fast over 21 minutes. They switch up the progression a bit just so it's not annoying. And it tops out at 360 bps.

What I like most is it forces me to to play at the extreme tempos that I don't practice as much, esp the super slow ones. And at the very fast tempos you start to figure out all the little muscle movements to maintain speed or skip notes and still try to swing. So sometimes I'll rewind it to the areas where the tempos are at the edge of forcing me to change a motion and try to find the transition and play around with it. Like, can I go a little longer pulling with my fingers before I have to switch to all down bounce to keep up and vice versa.

And when I'm low on any ideas I find ways to play it differently like:
  • Left hand Ride
  • Brushes
  • double shuffle
  • HH on all 4 beats like tony - this one kills me!
  • Left foot to BD where I just straddle the FT. It kind of helps the one above in making my mind feel the pulse on the left.
  • Someday maybe I can incorporate some clave foot patterns

I'm 57. I wish I had this when I was a young student. Instead I wore out my Pat Metheny and Buddy Rich records looking for the fast tunes.

I wish he had a version on itunes or similar because I'm always looking for my copy on my ipod or am telling people about it.
I'm also 57 and I use that chart with my advanced students (and myself). It's awesome.

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a great exercise. I feel that it covers so much of your fundamental jazz time playing. Do this and the rudimental ritual everyday and you're all set!
My two favs.