21" Zildjian

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I'm looking for my next ride cymbal. Don't currently have one, haha.
I am enamoured with the 21" size but I'm open anything that's not too heavy. Medium weight, around 2500g's or so would be as heavy as I'd want to go, but ideally lighter than that.
I would love something that is quite crashable and thin at the edge. Bell isn't that important.
Whatcha got?

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It sounds like you're looking for an A Sweet Ride. That pretty much nails everything you're asking for and is available relatively inexpensively. I use one and it's fantastic, super versatile.
I owned and gigged one of those for years. I loved it.
That's why I was tempted by the K Sweet. I would like a little more darkness and complexity than the A Sweet provides...

karlcrafton

Reaction score
You could try an "Avedis" 21". It just has the Avedis signature on top for a logo.

It's thinner than the A Sweet Ride, has excellent crash, bell and is a touch "smokey" depending on the sticks you use.
The one I have is similar to a Giant Beat in performance. It's a "multi" use cymbal IMO.
It sounds REALLY good with the the 24" Giant Beat and 22" Giant Beat cymbals I have also.

There are a few good sound files on YouTube of it.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They come in all different weights, though.
Do you know how much yours weighs?

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You could try an "Avedis" 21". It just has the Avedis signature on top for a logo.

It's thinner than the A Sweet Ride, has excellent crash, bell and is a touch "smokey" depending on the sticks you use.
The one I have is similar to a Giant Beat in performance. It's a "multi" use cymbal IMO.
It sounds REALLY good with the the 24" Giant Beat and 22" Giant Beat cymbals I have also.

There are a few good sound files on YouTube of it.
This. I've already raved about the 22" version (AA22R) in a couple of other threads. I don't own one - can't afford one - but these are some great cymbals. Just as Karl wrote.

Do I like it better than the K Sweet? Different birds.

GeeDeeEmm

Zildjian 22" Avedis Ride Cymbal (AA22R)

1586034753258.png

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
You've already heard me rave about my A Avedis 21" as a great all around ride cymbal (in another thread), and it sounds like it fits the bill in terms of what you're looking for. FYI, mine is 2226 g. It crashes nicely, has a smoky wash and strong stick definition and a killer bell. I haven't tried any other 21" Avedis cymbals, but did compare mine with the 22" Avedis in store. I found the 21" to sound more nuanced, smoky and complex with much more pronounced lathing, and it definitely had better stick definition. In case it wasn't clear from my previous post, I highly recommend this ride!

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I highly recommend the original version 21” Special Dry Ride. I have this exact one (had to have it after seeing the vid; didn’t disappoint in person):

Damn. That sounds nothing like the ones I've heard. Way longer sustain. I like that.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My 21 HH Raw Bell Dry Ride is pretty sweet. You’d want a lighter one.

Those Sabian peeps are technically Zildjians....

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So, I'm now broadening my horizons a bit to accept 22" rides.
I'm really attracted to a large effects cymbal too that can serve light riding duties as well.
So.
I'm thinking far right 22 K Custom Special Dry Crash and then a K Con in the main ride spot.
Probably a 22" because 20" has never been enough for me.
I was listening to some heavier Renaissance rides and I really like them. Like 2500-2700g's. That's not a light 22".
That's why I'm so confuzzled about the stick getting lost in the mix. I mean, I know weight isn't the only factor, but why would that be the case?
I'm also curious if maybe a Renaissance would be too trash to pair with such a trashy cymbal like the SDC?

Thoughts?

Latest posts