22” Special dry crash as a ride

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here’s a recent recording of just the drums from a project Im working on. The main ride is the 22” Special Dry Crash. Here are the specs.

Drum track for a group remote recording project. 14” old k hats, 17” mehmet turk crash, 22” KCustom special dry crash with three rivets, 17” bosphorus traditional china type.
14” leedy broadway standard snare, 12”/14”/20” slingerland five ply, 16” three ply slingerland. All drums have natural skins.

recorded with a a pair of Behringer condensor mics, a SM 58, an CAD bass mic, tapco and presonus interfaces into logic prox.

https://soundcloud.com/john-bacon%2Fmilos_day_off_2020_dr_mix

Last edited:

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sounds great. What is the weight on that Dry crash?

JimmySticks

Reaction score
Sounds great to my ears.

The rivets really give it the right amount of sizzle. I wouldn't have known it was a crash if you hadn't told me.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow. We have similar taste in gear!
I like the tuning on those toms. Really nice.
I wish I had some better speakers to hear it on!

The cymbal sound great with all of that Turkish stuff. Really cool blend. Love the rivets as well.

How deep is the Broadway Standard?

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow. We have similar taste in gear!
I like the tuning on those toms. Really nice.
I wish I had some better speakers to hear it on!

The cymbal sound great with all of that Turkish stuff. Really cool blend. Love the rivets as well.

How deep is the Broadway Standard?
Thanks for listening. It’s a 5x14 Kentville head
35D846D3-E996-4F91-AD34-25B17664CF2F.jpeg

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm jealous.
I'm working on something similar right now, I'll send you a pic when it's on the stand.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm jealous.
I'm working on something similar right now, I'll send you a pic when it's on the stand.
I would like that very much. I really like this drum for recording. It seems to have the right blend of cracking overtones with a nice warm resonance. Like a hyper-warmed up supraphonic. I got it for $25 many years ago and didn’t know what I had. My father put a nice finish on it after I abused it a little. Since then it has been more special and I’m kind of glad it isn’t collector grade. It’s such a wonderful sounding drum. The Kentville heads really make a difference. They confirm to any irregularities. The drum seems to respond better to natural skin. I have a renaissance snare side head On it which is really interesting. It is supposed to model a calf snare side. I would use one again.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would like that very much. I really like this drum for recording. It seems to have the right blend of cracking overtones with a nice warm resonance. Like a hyper-warmed up supraphonic. I got it for $25 many years ago and didn’t know what I had. My father put a nice finish on it after I abused it a little. Since then it has been more special and I’m kind of glad it isn’t collector grade. It’s such a wonderful sounding drum. The Kentville heads really make a difference. They confirm to any irregularities. The drum seems to respond better to natural skin. I have a renaissance snare side head On it which is really interesting. It is supposed to model a calf snare side. I would use one again.
Roo over fake calf. I bet that sounds warm in person.

Cool man. Thanks for sharing that. I enjoyed it. Nice playing.
What's the group like?

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It‘s a group called the Buffalo Jazz Composers Workshop. Trumpet, two saxes, guitar, vibes, bass, drums. We have vocalists and other instrumentalists join us sometimes. We usually meet twice a month to rehearse at a local music venue (Aka a corner bar). Since the pandemic we meet online chat, and pass around recording projects to try to keep things alive.

Heres a link to recent projects by our guitarist Jared Tinkham. The SDC is on the left. The video isnt always synched visually.
an older rehearsal video. I dont think I was using the SDC that day. Just a good example of the band.

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It‘s a group called the Buffalo Jazz Composers Workshop. Trumpet, two saxes, guitar, vibes, bass, drums. We have vocalists and other instrumentalists join us sometimes. We usually meet twice a month to rehearse at a local music venue (Aka a corner bar). Since the pandemic we meet online chat, and pass around recording projects to try to keep things alive.

Heres a link to recent projects by our guitarist Jared Tinkham. The SDC is on the left. The video isnt always synched visually.
an older rehearsal video. I dont think I was using the SDC that day. Just a good example of the band.

Yup. It sounds amazing.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As does your playing!
Thank you! I appreciate that. The SDC is a very light cymbal. It gets out of control easily, not in an overly washy way, but rather it starts to growl. I think ultimately I need something slightly heavier. Around 2200gr.
Most of my cymbals found me. I wasn’t even looking for them but once I have them I have to get familiar. Invariably cymbals change the way you play because you learn to make the cymbal sound like what you want to hear. But then you might realize a nuance that points you toward something lighter or heavier, splashy or pingy Etc... and you search for the next sound.

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thank you! I appreciate that. The SDC is a very light cymbal. It gets out of control easily, not in an overly washy way, but rather it starts to growl. I think ultimately I need something slightly heavier. Around 2200gr.
Most of my cymbals found me. I wasn’t even looking for them but once I have them I have to get familiar. Invariably cymbals change the way you play because you learn to make the cymbal sound like what you want to hear. But then you might realize a nuance that points you toward something lighter or heavier, splashy or pingy Etc... and you search for the next sound.
Have you ever played the Special Dry rides?

Latest posts