22/12/14 setups

DannyPattersonMusic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've used that setup since 2000 and sometimes go with an 18" kick instead of the 22" but the tom sizes have stayed the same since 2000.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not a problem for me, I prefer a 12 to a 13 and like to run a 14 and a 16 on the floor, If the matching bass drum is a 22 ( or even a 24) then so be it. Often, if I know space will be tight or I am just plain lazy, the 16 will stay home. At that point 12/14/22...which works fine for me.

Not sure why people get so hung up on "catalog" configurations. They were just that, not necessarily the "best" combinations of sizes but ways to offer the various sizes they did make in pre-packaged kits. They put together the smaller drums, they put together the bigger drums, take your choice. If a 12" works fine with a 22 in a five piece setup why wouldn't it be just as good if you leave the 13 ( or in olden times the other 12!) at home?.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yep, count me among the 22, 12, 14 crowd as well. My INDe kit has a 10 & 12rack with both a 14 and 16 floor, but I almost always use it with just the 12 & 14. For me, a 14X14 is perfect. The 16" sounds awesome playing it, but the added depth does not translate into the room as well as the 14" seems to do. Just my experience so YMMV!

20180804_183228 copy.jpg

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yep, count me among the 22, 12, 14 crowd as well. My INDe kit has a 10 & 12rack with both a 14 and 16 floor, but I almost always use it with just the 12 & 14. For me, a 14X14 is perfect. The 16" sounds awesome playing it, but the added depth does not translate into the room as well as the 14" seems to do. Just my experience so YMMV!
Totally agree... I love 14" floor toms!

dirtysicks

Reaction score
Both of the floors are 16 X 14 with a CS dot reso. This ensures the 14 sounds like a floor and not a rack tom. ‘
I’ve been thinking of running Remo CS dots on my floor toms. It’s a 16” & not a 14” but I’m still gonna give it a go in my next head change.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I love the 12/14/22 combo. I've definitely used it a bunch. Heck, I recently used a 12/14/24 combo (pictured).
Here's my old 12/14/24. I sometimes wish I had kept it because it was such a great sounding set. The 14x14 FT was one of the best sounding FT's I've owned, but I needed the money at the time and that huge 16x24 bass drum was a bear to carry.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I use a 22/10/12/14 in my studio. Live, I still prefer a 16" FT.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
22, 12, 14 is the setup I've been using since 2011. I will occasionally set up a new kit, and play the entire kit (whatever it may be), but I'm only really comfortable now with the 22...........
Add the kick, and there's pretty much nothing I cant play. Even if I'm doing a cover with a long tom roll, I'll figure something out, although its usually staying 2x's or more longer on each.
It forces me to be more creative with my foot, and do more with less.
It's also so much easier to gig with.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
22/12/14/14x5 is what I used to call The World-Tour-On-A-Budget kit, because back then, not every store had a plethora of drum gear, but EVERY music store always had a 22" bass drum head, 12" and 14" batters and a 14" snare side head, some sticks and a couple of Zildjian cymbals...so, "World-Tour-on-a-budget" kit. ;)
….and to answer the OP's question, YES, I have one!
What I call "The Second Kit", because its first kit I've bought since getting the Ludwig's in 1999 (I think I picked it up in 2015), so it's the second kit....

This started off as a 22/13/15 kit, but I never really liked the 13/15 tom setup and I had a 14" floor tom that I'd been using as a sort of table for a few years, so I picked up a cheap 12" tom and decided to see how it all worked.
That's when the kit clicked.
That floor tom, which I had never played on, is fantastic! All fat and mellow with a remarkably large sound.
It's like a 16" tom before puberty. Great!
The 12 is 9" deep, so it's a little fuller, a little darker, but it actually fits with this particular 14 like they were made for each other. Spectacular!
The 22 is only 8" deep. I had been playing with the idea of utilizing a Scotch marching bass in a kit, so as to allow me more room on (the usually miniscule ) stages I had played on in the past.
I was afraid the short depth of this one would detract from its sound so much that it would prove unsatisfactory, but to my surprise, the loss of depth is hardly noticeable, sound wise.
The only thing I've really lost is that boomy quality that all bass drums posses (the reason we stuff 'em with pillows and use self-muffled heads). It still speaks with the low note and its remarkably full, but without the boominess, its like its naturally gated, but in a very organic sense. It's really a great little bass drum and I can see why people are getting hip to these "pancake" bass drums, of late. Brilliant!
The snare drum seen with the kit is a Premier Cabria I've owned for about 20 years. It's a 14x5.5 and its got that signature punchy sound that all of the Made-in-England Cabria's had.
It's just an extra drum I've always had around and I wasn't really sure what I was going to do with it, but once I plugged it into the second kit, that was it. It had found a home.
The whole kit works really well together.
I do have a 16" floor tom that came from a kit I picked up, the time I went out to get a cymbal stand.
I will probably plug that one into this kit and finally realize a 22/12/14/16/14x5.5 kit. Kind of a Mini Bonham kit.
Anyway, there you go.

Elvis

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
...Also, have a DW with these sizes but additional 13,16 for variations.
Back in the 80's, I rocked a blue CB-700 kit in the ubiquitous 22/12/13/16/14x5 setup.
The kit was a few years old by the time I got it and the hardware was similar to 70's Pearl equipment. I got tired of lugging it around, so I found an old Rogers 18/12/14 kit and decided to use that for auditions, practices, jams, etc.
The Rogers kit was pretty junky and hadn't been cared for much. I ended up leaving it in an old church that was being used as a sort of home for the street kids in the area.
I kept the 14" floor tom, because it was the best drum out of the whole kit, and grafted it into the CB kit.
So now I had a 6-piece; 22/12/13/14/16/14x5. Shortly thereafter, one of the threaded holes in the BD mount crumbled apart, so I was forced to use only one rack tom at a time.
That's when I realized I could split my kit into two kits, each sharing the same bass and snare drums.
The 12/14 combo took over duties from the Rogers kit (since the toms were mismatched) and the 13/16 was the "show kit".
I quickly discovered that hauling around the kit was much easier if the tom combo is 12/14, compared to 13/16 (or 12/13/16). It was a surprising difference!
I played that kit for some time. Sold it when I decided to quit music.

Elvis

Last edited:

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
While size comes into play with hauling around...I also have some big old Ludwigs that are light. So while they’re large in size, they aren’t that heavy to take out.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Yep, 3 ply Ludwigs and 4 ply Pearls, all very light weight drums.

Latest posts