22-13-16 Sonor vintage series in California Blue / the GAS strikes back

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
the well known king crimson album starless and snareless Black..

Houndog

DFO Master
Reaction score
That’s an incredibly cool kit , but geez man .
Why do you need 3 kits ?
Then your stuck deciding which kit do I take to the show tonite ???
Now I gotta get another custom bass head .
Oh man I sure wish I’d have brought my other kit I’m sure my other kit woulda sounded better …

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When shopping for my Broadkasters set last winter, I've juggled a long time between these and a red oyster Sonor set. I loooove me some red tubs and Sonor's red oyster wrap is as deep and lush as they get. Plus, I mean, Sonors sound fantastic as well.

Today I went to one of my buddy's small music shop to encourage him and get some heads. He's got a tiny drums dept, of mostly low-end lines (Aq1's, a few Tama Club Jams and Imperial Stars, Pearl Roadshows, Decades and Exports.

But in a corner was a Vintage series California Blue 13-16-22 that he's been stuck with for the last two years, maybe three. I looked at it and said "You know if it was red I would have bought it in a heartbeat". To wich he answered: "And if I'd give you 1200$ off would you still buy it?"

Well it's Canadian dollars but still... A hell of a rebate. I'm suddenly finding the blue a whooooole lot more appealing.

I don't need a 3rd set, and I don't have that much room either but dang! this deal is hard to pass... The only rationalization that makes somewhat a little bit of sens is that I don't own a 22" kick and that would round up the arsenal to have a 24, a 22 and a 20.

At the very least I could maybe buy it and sell it to my band's other part-time drummer, who doesn't have a proper kit.

I am in a pickle now.... And DFO probably won't be the voice of reason either ;-)
What did you say the name and number of the shop is?

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been lusting after the Vintage series in Vintage Pearl for several years now, but i want the set with the 20” bass. The only high end series with 14” deep BD
aw heck buy em.
matching snare will be probably only be 750$ and a short 12 month wait
or use "the supra"..

Or you could put a WFL III snare to it and call it a
WFLIIIOnar or a Tama snare and call it a Tamonor
Yamaha snare and call it Yamanor

Last edited:

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Personally, this is the one Sonor kit, in the one Sonor wrap, I lust after in a life otherwise blessed with equanimity.

But for you, my friend:

Is this what you want, or do you now think you want it because it is there? Is this kismet or opportunism?

“After a time you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical but it is often true.”

21CCAC27-8EFB-4B89-849F-9FD8414218EF.png

BUT, on the other hand:

Beech, California beech! Some fine beeches, too.

757E52C5-3B31-4115-867A-31BF82418E7E.png

Butch1970

Reaction score
Grab the kit, add on the matching snare when you can. I haven’t played a full Vintage Series kit, but the 14x 5.75 snare I got has become one of my faves…