22-13-16 Sonor vintage series in California Blue / the GAS strikes back

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Personally, this is the one Sonor kit, in the one Sonor wrap, I lust after in a life otherwise blessed with equanimity.

But for you, my friend:

Is this what you want, or do you now think you want it because it is there? Is this kismet or opportunism?

“After a time you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical but it is often true.”

View attachment 510871

BUT, on the other hand:

Beech, California beech! Some fine beeches, too.

View attachment 510873
I grew up on a remote Island, a 5 hours ferry ride from the continent. We didn't have that many shops back then so we mostly did our shopping through the Sears Catalog. I KNOW that lusting and wanting is often greater than having. (Even more so when having means having crap from Sears!!!)

But we're NOT talking about crap from Sears...

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
weren't you

No More Posts
Add more friends to see more posts in your News Feed.
Find Friends

Last edited:

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I grew up on a remote Island, a 5 hours ferry ride from the continent. We didn't have that many shops back then so we mostly did our shopping through the Sears Catalog. I KNOW that lusting and wanting is often greater than having. (Even more so when having means having crap from Sears!!!)

But we're NOT talking about crap from Sears...
Amen to that. I would spend hours with the Sears catalog, examining every. single.toy.

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
But in a corner was a Vintage series California Blue 13-16-22 that he's been stuck with for the last two years, maybe three. I looked at it and said "You know if it was red I would have bought it in a heartbeat". To wich he answered: "And if I'd give you 1200$ off would you still buy it?"
I don't think you'd regret your purchase one bit. I have a shell bank of the first run of the Vintage Series (Natural finish), and they are marvelous drums. Easy to tune, and they easily manage to balance the "vintage" sound with the more modern "attack" sound. And they look cool.

nobody agrees with me, but I like a whole set to sound like the whole set.
(and that includes the snare)
I agree with you.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
weren't you the one crying about err.. that brought up your vid section post wasn't getting enough views

No More Posts
Add more friends to see more posts in your News Feed.
Find Friends

Well this wasn't just about ME, i said it then and I'll repeat it now: if I just wanted empty "likes" to stroke my ego, I can always post stuff on my band's social media and have access to tens of thousands of "friends" that will thumbs up and praise anything I put there. This is NOT what that was about.

This is a place where fellow drummers can offer insight and constructive criticism about technique, feel, tuning, mic placement, audio/mixing etc. I post stuff here instead of my social media to take advantage of this. Being a self-taught dude, this exchange of know-how is invaluable to me.

But yeah! It saddens me to see guys spending hours, sometimes days capturing some (often) high-level vid and audio and be forcibly moved to a place where this exchange doesn't happen because of non-existent traffic. Recently, for instance, member Seb77 did some excellent recordings and after a month gathered 1 reply... Sad. And his exhaustive bassdrum mics comparison (one of the best I've heard) didn't fare that much better. Absolutely not representative of the quality and usefulness of those recordings.

Tagging friends to posts, to me at least, feels obnoxious and desperate. Both things I'm not, both things people hate.

And I remember, most comments in the thread went in the same direction, then it got ratther heated, up to the point where the thread got locked (not by any fault of mine) so I guess it hit a sore spot for many, not just for me.

Now, you and others mentioned that there are functions to the site that can augment traffic to particular posts and/or expand what you see. It's all fine and dandy, but I think the average user is either unaware of these and/or doesn't care for them either. And I think the average poster doesn't want to annoy other members by spamming their way onto their news feed.

Anyhoo, water under the bridge, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
There are very few kits that I would never sell. This is one of them. I just love these drums and the matching snare is a gem. In all of my years (going on 5 decades of playing), it is the only matching snare that I have ever loved! It is that good and matches the kit sonically just perfectly.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went on the Drummer's hangout site and this snare isn't listed. Maybe it isn't up to date.
i was working at Murat’s shop last week . It is sitting on the shelf . Call the shop(905) 503-7300 and they can give you the details . If you message Drummer’s hangout through email Murat can probably throw a deal your way .

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
I scrolled through all 3 pages of this thread mostly just to see a pic of the alleged drum set and found none. What a rip off. ;)

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I scrolled through all 3 pages of this thread mostly just to see a pic of the alleged drum set and found none. What a rip off. ;)
Well, everybody has seen a the Sonor Vintage in California blue right? And I figured I'd save it for after the potential purchase, in wich case, trust me, it's gonna be pics galore...

• Haha
Reactions: JDA