22" Bass Drum head recommendations besides EMAD

audiochurch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My 22" Remo Powerstroke 3 head finally ripped/broke after 15+ years of use.

Besides the EMAD and Powerstroke heads, does anyone have any other head recommendations? I ask because I will be using a towel inside for muffling, adjusted every gig depending on the room.

Also, the price of the EMAD and Powerstroke heads are expensive. I figure if I am going to be doing my own muffling, is an EMAD/PS that much better?

Just considering other options unless the EMAD goes on sale.

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you want to do your own muffling coated emperors or smooth white control sound (black dot) remos are both durable and versatile. If you want a premuffled head check out an aquarian superkick or impact series. Superkick is relatively lightly muffled for a punchy but open sound, impact is more of a dry thud. Evans hydraulics or remo pinstripes are also a more controlled sound to begin with that you can add additional muffling to taste. What kind of sound are you going for?

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Some time ago I started using a coated Ambassador and various amounts of muffling, adjusting it through a port on the reso head. Maxium versatility; it's the only kind of head that can give you a dirty, barking kind of open sound a la Keith Carlock.
If I want a sound more like a PS3, I use a towel "croissant" ala Simon Phillips against the batter, but not taped to the head, it's just tied up with a few pieces of string to keep it rolled up.

Butch1970

Reaction score
I've seen the 22" EMAD's go on promo-sale occassionally. I think a clear EQ4 is a rough equivalent to a clear PS3. That could be a good option for a head with some built-in damping that you could still tailor to your own liking.

I also like the suggestion of using a Coated Amby/Emperor/CS Smooth White and adding your own muffling to taste.

audiochurch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you want to do your own muffling coated emperors or smooth white control sound (black dot) remos are both durable and versatile. If you want a premuffled head check out an aquarian superkick or impact series. Superkick is relatively lightly muffled for a punchy but open sound, impact is more of a dry thud. Evans hydraulics or remo pinstripes are also a more controlled sound to begin with that you can add additional muffling to taste. What kind of sound are you going for?
This 22" Slingerland bass drum will be used in a louder rock cover band. It is sidelined for now, but has been used for rock, jazz, big band, country, polka, hard core/punk, psychedelic, and German oom-pah.

I like these ideas a lot!

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This 22" Slingerland bass drum will be used in a louder rock cover band. It is sidelined for now, but has been used for rock, jazz, big band, country, polka, hard core/punk, psychedelic, and German oom-pah.

I like these ideas a lot!
For that range I’d go with smooth black dot for sure. More durability and a slightly rounder attack than an ambassador but is capable of sounding just about as open for the jazz stuff. A couple felt strips and a folded up moving blanket (the fake wool uhaul ones are the perfect density for me) to swap between and maybe a wood and a felt beater to change the attack sound and you can cover just about anything

sixplymaple

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I swear by the Evan’s EQ3 for my 22”. Usually the frosted version. They sound killer and last a while. I strongly dislike the EMAD‘s.

audiochurch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For that range I’d go with smooth black dot for sure. More durability and a slightly rounder attack than an ambassador but is capable of sounding just about as open for the jazz stuff. A couple felt strips and a folded up moving blanket (the fake wool uhaul ones are the perfect density for me) to swap between and maybe a wood and a felt beater to change the attack sound and you can cover just about anything
Thank you for this.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My local shop does killer comparo vids
Good lord, your local shop is the best! That's an incredible amount of work to make those videos. Amazing!
I believe the OP will definitely be able to narrow down choices with those videos.
I wonder if anyone else noticed how incredible the Evans heads sound (or is it just me)?
And this is coming from an Aquarian guy!
I've never given them a look and to me they blew everything else out of the water.
Time for me to take a deeper look!

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really wanted to love the Emperor on my 14"×22", but did not. Got an Ambassador on now with a patch, very happy

cplueard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My 22" Remo Powerstroke 3 head finally ripped/broke after 15+ years of use.

Besides the EMAD and Powerstroke heads, does anyone have any other head recommendations? I ask because I will be using a towel inside for muffling, adjusted every gig depending on the room.

Also, the price of the EMAD and Powerstroke heads are expensive. I figure if I am going to be doing my own muffling, is an EMAD/PS that much better?

Just considering other options unless the EMAD goes on sale.
If you're going to do your own you don't really need an Emad. Something more controlled that can still be open like an EQ3, calftone, or UV1 would be solid choices. I tend to gravitate towards Superkicks and Gmad because I hit hard and prefer my muffling to be head mounted rather than limiting shell vibration. If I were to use internal muffling I'd swap them out for one of the ones I just mentioned.

Good lord, your local shop is the best! That's an incredible amount of work to make those videos. Amazing!
I believe the OP will definitely be able to narrow down choices with those videos.
I wonder if anyone else noticed how incredible the Evans heads sound (or is it just me)?
I've never given them a look and to me they blew everything else out of the water.
Yeah the Evans sound better than the others almost 100% of the time but it's because most comparison videos like this are a very "Mileage may vary" situation. I've used a fair amount of Evans on my bass drum (I adore the Gmad) but the EQ4's I've tried always have a strange plastic-y high end not present in those videos. My superkicks (both 1 and 2) have never sounded so soft on the attack as that video but I'd attribute that to different velocities and beaters. Take a look at this snare one they did:
The Remo heads sound the best to me in this one. All the Evans have this weird choked quality to them and all the Aquarians have a more open ring that make them sound out of control not just with the snare sound, but with the room itself. Trying to do so many videos with so many head changes and make them a perfect 1:1 would be an absolutely insane amount of time to sink and is almost impossible so you've gotta take the overall sound you hear worth a grain of salt. Remarkably cool and useful videos for comparing a lot of head qualities, but not for the overall sound of a head. Don't let that dissuade you from trying Evans though, I think their GMAD and Calftone bass heads a wonderful.

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you’re looking for something similar to a PS3, Attack has their version of that design and it sounds just as good, if not better. You can also find them at astonishingly low prices online at times. Even at regular retail, it should be about ten bucks cheaper than Remo.

As for the question of using your own muffling, whenever I plan on muffling any drum to taste I like to start with a coated single ply head like an Ambassador (also usually a bit cheaper than the pre-muffled heads). Then you can add patches, pillows, etc. as needed. This is my approach to snares and toms as well. Start off with maximum tone and open sound and then go from there.

However, I feel obligated to make this unsolicited PSA: if you’re going to use it for 15 years like the one you’re replacing, I suggest going into your local shop and forking out the cash. If you amortize it over that many years, it’s not that expensive to you and those heads and sticks at your local shop might be where they actually make money.

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Pinstripes both sides, clear batter, coated reso, wide open....beautiful.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes Timpano is a great shop. The guys are very invested and passionate about what they are doing. They stock pretty much everything they review in terms of heads, plus they keep a vast inventory of kits, snares and cymbals for us to try/lust over. I'm fortunate to have them around, although it doesn't help curbing my GAS tendencies... Bought my Broadkaster set off of them, my A&F raw Alu 6 lugger, my BK 135th anniversary snare, my Agop hats and ride, plus most of my hardware and various cases. I rationalize by thinking I'm just doing my part to keep brick and mortar shops alive ... ;-)