22" Bass Drum head recommendations besides EMAD

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad this thread came up and I was able to see those comparison videos. It's time for me to change my bass heads as well. I've carried over my batter across 2 kits! I've realized (from a while back) that what I currently have doesn't work on the 22" Classic Maple. It's super dead sounding! I have an Aquarian Impact II which is the most muffled head they make. (More that the Super Kick 10!). And it's paired with the factory Remo reso. I'd like something with more tone and sustain that would make that bass drum sing. The current sound doesn't go with my toms at all. I guess it's something that I've overlooked. Time to change them both!
Sticking with Aquarian, I'll probably go with a Super Kick I or II with a Regulator reso. I think you can't go wrong with that combo. The choice is either single or double ply. I've never used a single ply but I see that they sound very lively.

Last edited:

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ditto but they ain't cheap.
I see that. I think it's ok though considering that it's something that lasts a long time. Like $75 for 2 heads! I haven't bought bass heads in like 4 years. Everything is new except that, Lol!!

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'm glad this thread came up and I was able to see those comparison videos. It's time for me to change my bass heads as well. I've carried over my batter across 2 kits! I've realized (from a while back) that what I currently have doesn't work on the 22" Classic Maple. It's super dead sounding! I have an Aquarian Impact II which is the most muffled head they make. (More that the Super Kick 10!). And it's paired with the factory Remo reso. I'd like something with more tone and sustain that would make that bass drum sing. The current sound doesn't go with my toms at all. I guess it's something that I've overlooked. Time to change them both!
Sticking with Aquarian, I'll probably go with a Super Kick I or II with a Regulator reso. I think you can't go wrong with that combo. The choice is either single or double ply. I've never used a single ply but I see that they sound very lively.
If I was to stick with Aquarian - I would recommend the Force I (their version of the PS-3). I personally abhor the SKI and II heads and those Regulator "resonant" heads with that big felt donut glued to the center of the head. Particularly if you are looking to let your drum sing at all.

Me? I rarely have any use for a real open sounding bass drum. But I am a firm believer that dialing in just the right amount of muffling is essential. And requires more finesse that any of these "pre-muffled at the factory" "one side fits all" "take or leave" heads offer.

I need the factory to make me a single ply head to a double ply - they have to do that, I can't do that.

If I want that embedded high frequency dampening ring around the edge - again they are better off making that. (Though often I have no need for it - including on bass drums)

But for everything beyond that - I have no use for their ham-fisted attempts at muffling a drum. Particularly as they are hamstrung to applying muffling in ways they can easily mass manufacture and ship. Thus all of these excessive rings of muffling material - which more often than not just behave like an equalizer device with knobs that are either set to zero or TEN. Whatever the ring touches - it kills. And it kills all of that frequency because the ring muffles the entire circumference of that diameter.

To my ears, there are simply better ways of setting up a drum from wide open to full thud - usually all using the same head - the can be fine-tuned exactly as I desire or need - and for literally no extra money.

Again - I would recommend a Force I - I have one on the bass drum right next to me hear in the studio. I think it sounds great. But it more importantly it can sound great in a number of different ways.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I was to stick with Aquarian - I would recommend the Force I (their version of the PS-3). I personally abhor the SKI and II heads and those Regulator "resonant" heads with that big felt donut glued to the center of the head. Particularly if you are looking to let your drum sing at all.

Me? I rarely have any use for a real open sounding bass drum. But I am a firm believer that dialing in just the right amount of muffling is essential. And requires more finesse that any of these "pre-muffled at the factory" "one side fits all" "take or leave" heads offer.

I need the factory to make me a single ply head to a double ply - they have to do that, I can't do that.

If I want that embedded high frequency dampening ring around the edge - again they are better off making that. (Though often I have no need for it - including on bass drums)

But for everything beyond that - I have no use for their ham-fisted attempts at muffling a drum. Particularly as they are hamstrung to applying muffling in ways they can easily mass manufacture and ship. Thus all of these excessive rings of muffling material - which more often than not just behave like an equalizer device with knobs that are either set to zero or TEN. Whatever the ring touches - it kills. And it kills all of that frequency because the ring muffles the entire circumference of that diameter.

To my ears, there are simply better ways of setting up a drum from wide open to full thud - usually all using the same head - the can be fine-tuned exactly as I desire or need - and for literally no extra money.

Again - I would recommend a Force I - I have one on the bass drum right next to me hear in the studio. I think it sounds great. But it more importantly it can sound great in a number of different ways.
Wow! Lots of info. Thank you. I will look into it.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 22" Remo Powerstroke 3 head finally ripped/broke after 15+ years of use.

Besides the EMAD and Powerstroke heads, does anyone have any other head recommendations? I ask because I will be using a towel inside for muffling, adjusted every gig depending on the room.

Also, the price of the EMAD and Powerstroke heads are expensive. I figure if I am going to be doing my own muffling, is an EMAD/PS that much better?

Just considering other options unless the EMAD goes on sale.
If price is a consideration, check with Cardinal Percussion line of ATTACK! heads.
In the old days, them and Weathermasters were a real deal, comparitively.

Home - Attack Drumheads

Last edited:

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just put them on today on my 22x18 Classic Maple:
Aquarian 17 mil. Reflector Super Kick II & Aquarian non-ported black Regulator (I installed the newer Ludwig logo decal on the reso and the "Super thin" double kick pad on the batter).
Tuned it 80/80 on the tunebot. Finally the right sound! Deep but with some sustain and plenty of tone. The drum sounds amazing and looks great too!!
I'll be working on the other drums tomorrow and will post on another thread since that's not related to this one.

To the OP that wanted an Emad alternative. These Aquarian's are fantastic!

PXL_20210808_012340902.jpg
PXL_20210808_015132557.jpg

Last edited:

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just ordered a clear pinstripe on sale. Cant wait to get it and trying it out after I put my own impact pads on them.
If you got 15 years out of the powerstroke you may not be shopping again for twenty years this time. Pinstripes are a durable head. Let us know how you like it

Tornado

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you got 15 years out of the powerstroke you may not be shopping again for twenty years this time. Pinstripes are a durable head. Let us know how you like it
I put a plastic DW beater through a pinstripe on a gig once. :( My fault for not using an impact patch though.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use round felt beaters and still always use a kick pad. I always used the standard thick one and this time I've installed the "super thin". It's nice because it doesn't change the sound. All it does is protect!

audiochurch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use round felt beaters and still always use a kick pad. I always used the standard thick one and this time I've installed the "super thin". It's nice because it doesn't change the sound. All it does is protect!
Lrod,
I plan on cutting up a home-made patch from an old drumhead. I will try putting it on the batter side as normal, but will also put a patch on the opposite side of the head as well since I am already planning on muffling w/a pillow. I think I may also put a date on the head this time. Lesson learned for bass drum heads.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Pinstripes are a durable head.
Same experience as another poster above: went through a clear Pinstripe using a hard beater once. The clear 7mil film, even though it's a double layer, is not more durable than a 10mil Ambassador or Powerstroke (same thickness btw), maybe less so. Never a good idea to play a hard beater w/o a patch, I know, but the Pinstripe didn't hold up.

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Same experience as another poster above: went through a clear Pinstripe using a hard beater once. The clear 7mil film, even though it's a double layer, is not more durable than a 10mil Ambassador or Powerstroke (same thickness btw), maybe less so. Never a good idea to play a hard beater w/o a patch, I know, but the Pinstripe didn't hold up.
Fair enough. We used to beat the living snot out of marching bass drums in the stands at football games and they’d last a full season. Somebody ordered ebony ambassadors one season and we got to halftime the second game of the year before splitting one

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lrod,
I plan on cutting up a home-made patch from an old drumhead. I will try putting it on the batter side as normal, but will also put a patch on the opposite side of the head as well since I am already planning on muffling w/a pillow. I think I may also put a date on the head this time. Lesson learned for bass drum heads.
Remo offers their "dot" from the Control Sound head as a separate item.
Should be able to get some from any drum shop.