22" early 50s ('52-'54) large stamp (2" tall) ride cymbal

shelfand

Reaction score
Up for sale today is an early 50s large stamp ride. 2" stamp, falls between trans stamp and hollow block stamp eras, roughly 1952-1954. Perfect physical shape. 20 factory river holes. No issues. Medium in weight with a super strong stick sound and umbrella profile. $300 shipped for a rare example of a great early 50s era ride! PM or email steven.helfand@gmail.com with interest or questions.

Attachments

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Is/was that a brilliant finish by any chance?

shelfand

Reaction score
My guess 2600g. It's not thin by any means but not at all heavy. I'd call it squarely medium in weight.

It's hard to say for sure if it was manufactured "brilliant". It doesn't look buffed or polished so my guess is the cutting tool from lathing imparted that appearance. This seems pretty common for that era.

Z

zenstat

According to Pinksterboer in The Cymbal Book (p82) in what seems to be a seldom noticed footnote it might well be factory:

Zildjian applied buffing before World War II
I've documented these buffed cymbals from Trans Stamps onwards. The full on "brilliant" process came later in the 1970s and we have documentation for that because Robert Zildjian patented it: patent applied for Feb 6, 1970 granted 3640029 Feb 8, 1972. Ads for brilliant cymbals as an option began by 1971. This also predates the specific billiant series of A Zildjian and Cie Constantinople which people usually associate with the "1970s brilliant cymbals" as if there weren't any others. There were. And right back to WW2.

Did you get my PM about this?

Stpdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
These Tall Stamp (non-Hollow Block) cymbals really sound great and have a unique tone. They sound closer to Trans Stamps than other 50's cymbals IMO. Good luck with the sale!