22" K Con Bounce Overhammered Proto

Butch1970

Reaction score
BEXbyVRITo+q9ykaUGeGpw.jpg

Just picked up this beauty from Maxwell's NYC this morning. Weighs in at 2532g but plays much lighter. Played this one and couple others in a similar weight range. My first thought was "this one's got a bit of extra fire in it"...in both a good and a bad way :)

Butch1970

Reaction score
There's a complete list on Maxwell's site but there were a bunch of flats, mini cups, a few 20" PJJ rides, K Complex's in 20"-22"-24", and the Bounce Overhammered in 20"-21"-22". Some Swishes as well.

Paul Francis told me that the PJJ was based on a worn-out cymbal that John Riley has in his possession. There were only a couple on hand by the time I got inside the store and as much as I tried to dig them (I had one tucked under my arm for a while) I knew that it was not gonna have enough cut/projection for me. That one weighed about 2000g while the other was a bit over 2100g. Maybe the two that got snagged before I could get to them were better in that respect.

The proto 22" Dry Complex I tapped on sounded really nice! Better, I think, than the original Thin and Medium-Thin that I have. The 24's were nice, too.

I went in with the hopes of finding a nice 20" but it was mostly the larger cymbals that spoke to me. Also walked out with a copy of the PJJ Transcription book :)

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Interesting. Had a 22 bounce - didn't care for it - too loud. Got a 22 thin over hammered - a bit of an odd duck. I added one rivet and now that's a killer one!!
I think it's less weight than yours....so I'd like to think.

Interesting to see Z. is adding multiple line's features to make better cymbals.....sweet! Let the tinkering continue....can't wait to play one of these.....

Butch1970

Reaction score
It seems to have dried out a bit after some playing this weekend.....that and I’m sure my ears have adjusted to it a bit.

I was initially thinking it might sound a lot like my old K Dry Complex Rides, but after playing the Thin side by side with the Bounce/OH....much different. The Complex is more in your face and a bit more one-dimensional. The Bounce/OH is more subtle, lower pitched, should blend better with other instruments and I think you can coax more sounds out of it.

As for the weight, I got a 22” K Con Proto Multi-Purpose Ride last year that’s 22g lighter than the Bounce and they play and sound nothing alike . The additional cluster and overhammering really changes everything and makes it play much lighter and trashier.

I’ve got a Masters 22” Dark Ride en route that should provide for a very interesting comparison against the Z

J

jaymandude

There's a complete list on Maxwell's site but there were a bunch of flats, mini cups, a few 20" PJJ rides, K Complex's in 20"-22"-24", and the Bounce Overhammered in 20"-21"-22". Some Swishes as well.

Paul Francis told me that the PJJ was based on a worn-out cymbal that John Riley has in his possession. There were only a couple on hand by the time I got inside the store and as much as I tried to dig them (I had one tucked under my arm for a while) I knew that it was not gonna have enough cut/projection for me. That one weighed about 2000g while the other was a bit over 2100g. Maybe the two that got snagged before I could get to them were better in that respect.

The proto 22" Dry Complex I tapped on sounded really nice! Better, I think, than the original Thin and Medium-Thin that I have. The 24's were nice, too.

I went in with the hopes of finding a nice 20" but it was mostly the larger cymbals that spoke to me. Also walked out with a copy of the PJJ Transcription book :)
I wish Z would focus on 20’s for a season or two. The 22 obsession of theirs is getting old for me

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Just put the 22 up high on an angle and start whacking it..it's the same as a 20 ;;)
get it 'way from ya..move it out there..
nice thing about 22 old Ks and 22 bosphorus for that matter-- not quite 22s.
not as imposing

ever see Ndugu up close; he'd push them cymbals Away..

Latest posts