22 K Con Hi Bell Dry

Esotericdrums

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the K Con Hi Bell Dry rides? I’ve found what seems to be a pretty good deal on a sound lab prototype of this discontinued model but can’t find much info online. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
the information is disappearing off the internet; the reviews of that series- quite intensive--- are gone.

Was a series modeled after old primitive K Constantinople orchestral cymbals ( not the later K Zildjian Istanbul Elivn and Max and Tony played..So... they have an ancient sound to them borderline "not appropriate" for drum set but..... That can be their Charm.

Were originally for orchestra then Paul F. made some for drumset.
Never really caught on with a lot of drummers but again... they're unique and primitive

cymbal.wiki

Reaction score
the information is disappearing off the internet; the reviews of that series- quite intensive--- are gone.

Was a series modeled after old primitive K Constantinople orchestral cymbals ( not the later K Zildjian Istanbul Elivn and Max and Tony played..So... they have an ancient sound to them borderline "not appropriate" for drum set but..... That can be their Charm.

Were originally for orchestra then Paul F. made some for drumset.
Never really caught on with a lot of drummers but again... they're unique and primitive
Some reviews

An example of the sound from Gerry

Esotericdrums

Reaction score
i regret selling this. Steve Smith got me to it. Amazing ride.
I have a k custom dry ride, it is very very dry and the stick sound is more a ping than a tahh, with absolutely no wash or crash ability. I’m looking for something that is dry but still has some dirty wash and somewhat of a crash. Does this cymbal have those qualities?

seungkeeya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a k custom dry ride, it is very very dry and the stick sound is more a ping than a tahh, with absolutely no wash or crash ability. I’m looking for something that is dry but still has some dirty wash and somewhat of a crash. Does this cymbal have those qualities?
this was the perfect example of that. K custom dry is like bare bone. But hi bell dry is not like that. Compared to K custom special dry, hi bell dry had much more pleasing wash and crash. Check out steve smith’s lesson dvd (standing on the shoulder of the giants dvd i think). He uses that one.

Esotericdrums

Reaction score
this was the perfect example of that. K custom dry is like bare bone. But hi bell dry is not like that. Compared to K custom special dry, hi bell dry had much more pleasing wash and crash. Check out steve smith’s lesson dvd (standing on the shoulder of the giants dvd i think). He uses that one.
Thanks for the help! I am assuming that this is what this ride is of course. There isn’t a full description on the site but from the looks of it, wouldn’t you say this looks like a hi bell dry prototype?

Attachments

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help! I am assuming that this is what this ride is of course. There isn’t a full description on the site but from the looks of it, wouldn’t you say this looks like a hi bell dry prototype?
an other it might be was the teri Lynn carrington developed K Custom Hi Definition Ride

..but i don't think so.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So..you know what... you're doing. Good. : )
You want to tell us where it is a Link to the Ad maybe yes no?
Or we done.

Esotericdrums

Reaction score
So..you know what... you're doing. Good. : )
You want to tell us where it is a Link to the Ad maybe yes no?
Or we done.
I think we are good! Thanks to you guys for the help. The Steve smith videos really gave me a chance to hear it

seungkeeya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That seems like the one.

slcdrummer

Reaction score
So I had two of these, I think 2648g and 2595g. Links to both below. My heavier one was the driest ride I’ve played and you had to hit it so hard to get a sound that it wasn’t worth it for me and there was very little crash.

I do however regret selling the lighter one sometimes. It was much livelier and more crashable and had a shinier finish. I put in two rivets. It looked really cool and sounded great but it felt quite stiff under the stick. I wanted it to be a little quieter than my other 22”s (bounce, Renaissance) but it really was just about the same volume but felt really stiff. I do miss it sometimes though.
Obed Calvaire has played one a lot and he sounds amazing on it. It might be worth grabbing.

K Con Hi Bell Dry Ride 22" 2648g

Hi Bell Dry

Esotericdrums

Reaction score
I think I’ve decided to hold out for the elusive 22 hi bell medium thin low. I know they are hard to come by

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
you "have to" hear where this cymbal design came from..might help to better under stand what and where the recreations are coming from. Plus it's fun.

Listen on Yamamoto's Video page. to every K Constantinople video.
You may find a 13" or 14" old K Con in your local town for little money