22" K Con model characteristics?

Tdipaul

Reaction score
Thinking about buying one for the first time and despite having listened to them online and looking at the Z website, I'm still a little confused. These are rarely stocked in stores so can't judge feel, volume, etc

I believe these are the models currently offered?
  • Renaissance
  • Bounce
  • MT- Low
  • MT- High
  • T- Overhammered
  • MT Overhammered
  • "Medium"
Q's:
  • Most popular?
  • Stick/wash ratio's
  • Most crash-able
  • Most versatile (ae any of these a one trick pony?)
  • Softest stick feel
  • Trashiest
  • Cleanest
  • Does "High" and "Low" refer to the shape of the bell shape and/or overall profile, or are they referring to pitch?
  • Volume output - which is the loudest and which is the quietest (in an acoustic jazz setting )
  • Are they fairly consistent within models (inconsistent like Dreams or consistent like Paiste's?)
TIA!

Last edited:

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thinking about buying one for the first time and despite having listened to them online and looking at the Z website, I'm still a little confused. These are rarely stocked in stores so can't judge feel, volume, etc

• Renaissance
  • Bounce
  • MT- Low
  • MT- High
  • T- Overhammered
  • MT Overhammered
  • "Medium"
Q's:
  • Most popular?
  • Stick/wash ratio's
  • Most crash-able
  • Softest stick feel
  • Trashiest
  • Cleanest
  • Does "High" and "Low" refer to the shape of the bell shape and/or overall profile, or are they referring to pitch?
  • Volume output - which is the loudest and which is the quietest (in an acoustic jazz setting )
  • Are they fairly consistent within models (inconsistent like Dreams or consistent like Paiste's?)
TIA!
My 2 cents: In my experience, first, Zildjian K’s in general and especially K Cons, of the same models, all sound different. So, for example, no two K Con MTL’s will sound alike. They are all somewhat unique. Second, the sound of a “new” K Con will change as it is used over time. So, even if you test a new K Con in person, it will not sound the same as it will after a few months of use. YMMV.

If you want more certainty, buy a well used cymbal that you have tested in person. Otherwise, there is a bit of a gamble when buying K’s and K Cons.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I only own a 20" MTL, so that's what I can talk about
  • Stick/wash ratio's
The MTL with its lower profile seems to have more stick than some "high" models I tried, but I didn't check their weight (heavier= more stick)
  • Most crash-able
I'd say they all crash well to a degree, but the MTL works great as a big, low crash.
I think both. A higher profile creates a higher pitch. I had to get used to those low, throaty tones of the MTL from the player's perspective. The MTL 22" has some seriously low overtones going on.
  • Volume output - which is the loudest and which is the quietest (in an acoustic jazz setting)
The MTL isn't the quietest cymbal but reacts well to dynamic playing. I used to tape the bell, might do it again, as it's quite powerful (and so is the crash).

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a 22" K Con medium ride with 2 rivets in it. Very nice cymbal. Nice stick definition with a smooth wash under it. The bell isn't really pingy, but if you hit it with the shank it actually man make a bit of a ping to it, unlike a lot of these jazz styled rides that have very dull bells.

I would never use it for anything other than a jazz setting or some sort of soft singer/songwriter music. It doesnt have the presence in the mix for anything with volume.

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
No expert here, but recently got into these as well, and acquired a 22" MTL (2546g) and a 20" Bounce (1688g).

The MTL has a dark cushion of wash and a very articulate stick sound, along with a very useable bell and a roaring crash sound. Shank accents sound beautifully trashy, and the cymbal is pitched far lower than any other cymbal I own.

The Bounce is light by 20" standards, and thus crashes and washes much more easily, sacrificing some of the stick definition of the 22". It has a larger but somewhat less playable bell than the MTL, with just a little less trashiness too. The whole cymbal feels lush and buttery to ride and crash on, and produces a very musical and brighter wash.

These are just my experiences with my cymbals, but I can also provide some overall impressions which could traverse the chasm of subjectivity to reach objective some objective truth about K Cons. These cymbals are surprisingly louder than my Avedis set and the Keropes I used to have, and the MTL could work as a main ride in many genres of music, but of course is perfect for jazz. They strike a wonderful balance between wash and stick clarity, and are complex instruments that do change with playing over time. As others have mentioned, the weight is going to determine the character of the cymbal as much as the model type, so watch the g's and good luck!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may help YOU to start at the beginning of the line.

There were (1998) four initial models (I know. I bought two of them) ba dum tssh)

20" Light
22" Light

20" Medium
22" Medium..............ok?

Then the dancing devils expanded the line (not the official name - was in the ads picturing Elvin Jones) this release included.

20" Medium Thin Low
22" Medium Thin Low
20" Medium Thin High
22" Medium Thin High
and...
20" Thin High
22" Thin High

Next .....(somewhere 14" hi hats..were already released) were 13" Hi hats and a Flat Ride.

After that ...........some one else take over

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
google is not bringing up the old search results but here's a couple. Reviews.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've got a 22 mtl that is my main crash on my small kit. Absolutely stunning cymbal. Works perfectly as a ride for small, quiet shows. It really excels as a crash to me.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "light" models are not light always but are nice. High and low is pitch whether 20 or 22. Thin over is a great one. Did not like the bounce. My 22 MTL sounded like my 22 Light so I sold it. My Favorite line is the MTL. I have a 22 MTH now and it's a tad high. I have an original 20" light and that one is different too. Very dark and very hammered. Nice ones but I dont use them. I had an early 22 medium and it was heavy and loud, not for jazz. I had a 20 MTH and it was dead sounding and swapped for a newer 20 medium which is a very nice versatile one I've gigged outdoors amphitheaters and in museums/small rooms. Yet to own a Ren but I am always looking! I owned two 18" crashes. I didn't think much of them and felt the K custom dark was a better crash.

Please PM me about the 22 MTH and 20 Light.......

Last edited:

edhr

Reaction score
IMO the K Cons are rather loud. It's like a giant orchestral crash, basically. Beautiful dynamic sounds but absolutely a concert / stage cymbal.

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
It may help YOU to start at the beginning of the line.

There were (1998) four initial models (I know. I bought two of them) ba dum tssh)

20" Light
22" Light

20" Medium
22" Medium..............ok?

Then the dancing devils expanded the line (not the official name - was in the ads picturing Elvin Jones) this release included.

20" Medium Thin Low
22" Medium Thin Low
20" Medium Thin High
22" Medium Thin High
and...
20" Thin High
22" Thin High

Next .....(somewhere 14" hi hats..were already released) were 13" Hi hats and a Flat Ride.

After that ...........some one else take over

Love that ad. Need to see them angels dancin' too, though.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
some flat sound here ->

lot of early K Con intro/info/release/ is gone from zee internets)
there briefly was a 21" Big Band Ride (had one)

TWTDrums

Reaction score

• Renaissance
  • Bounce
  • MT- Low
  • MT- High
  • T- Overhammered
  • MT Overhammered
  • "Medium"
Q's:
  • Most popular?
  • Stick/wash ratio's
  • Most crash-able
  • Softest stick feel
  • Trashiest
  • Cleanest
TIA!
The MTL has a dark cushion of wash and a very articulate stick sound, along with a very useable bell and a roaring crash sound. Shank accents sound beautifully trashy, and the cymbal is pitched far lower than any other cymbal I own.

this is a dead-on description for me.

• Renaissance
  • Bounce
  • MT- Low
  • MT- High
  • T- Overhammered
  • MT Overhammered
  • "Medium"
Q's:
  • Most popular?
  • Stick/wash ratio's
  • Most crash-able
  • Softest stick feel
  • Trashiest
  • Cleanest
TIA!
I’ve got a 22” MTL and I love it. Great stick articulation, deceptively easy crash (it’s my only right-side cymbal). It’s recorded perfectly, in my opinion — responds well to changing stick angles. I find the feel super soft, despite the articulation.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot about my flat rides - I had a 22 K Con - I STILL regret selling it but the price was way right. Gorgeous woody stick sound and typical fast burst crash. I now just have the 20 now - killer cymbal.......I'm just not good enough to get away with it as a sole cymbal for a gig.....

bbshams

Reaction score
My main ride is a 22” Renny that I put two rivets in. It was a beast at first but it’s definitely mellowed out over time. It’s on the higher pitched end of the spectrum, but it fits in live and recorded mixes beautifully! It’s got perfect amount of trash and complexity over nice stick sound, and has a fair amount of give and crashes well. I love it!

I borrowed a friend’s MTH for a while and almost bought it, but it didn’t quite win me over. Certainly high pitched with a nice stick attack that felt pretty soft, but it was a bit too quiet for me and i didn’t love how it sounded with a band live.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t know if this transfers to a 22, but the bell on my 20 Medium does not project particularly. It plays integrated “with” the cymbal as opposed to sounding like a different instrument like so many ride bells do.