22 K dark medium owners

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yes?...I had to learn to control it/mine. It is possible. Took a year.
Your hand adapts to it and finds the hills and valleys. When I first took it to a gig I thought " Jeezus 'It's made from (sound) Stainless Steel". I thought I heard it "echoing off the side of the wall."

But out front. Pure Zildjian. Since that first time at home and at subsequent gigs I learned it.
Now it's one of my favorites. (and only new AK I own)

Towards the end of the Soundcloud there (1:03-on..) you have it under control. And it makes sense. Persist.

Last edited:

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes?...I had to learn to control it/mine. It is possible. Took a year.
Your hand adapts to it and finds the hills and valleys. When I first took it to a gig I thought " Jeezus 'It's made from (sound) Stainless Steel". I thought I heard it "echoing off the side of the wall."

But out front. Pure Zildjian. Since that first time at home and at subsequent gigs I learned it.
Now it's one of my favorites. (and only new AK I own)

Towards the end of the Soundcloud there (1:03-on..) you have it under control. And it makes sense. Persist.
I owned this exact cymbal years ago and never fully bonded with it , but only played a bunch of gigs with it in fairness. Sold it on and then heard it again from the audience perspective at a gig and thought it sounded really amazing. I've got my hands on it again but because of covid it will be a while till i get a years worth of mileage on it.
So you think i should keep it ? I do want that sound i heard from the audience. Thanks man.

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
So you think i should keep it ? I do want that sound i heard from the audience. Thanks man.
I said hands...it's also ears (it has to be) both. Your ears will teach it (or teach any cymbal) to you.
Sure keep it; no one's buying anything ; )

marc3k

Reaction score
For those familiar (or not) with the 22 K Dark Medium . How does this example sound ? a good or bad one? to me it sounds pretty trashy.
https://soundcloud.com/friedrich-wilheim-von-stuben%2Fzoom0044wav
I think this sounds pretty much like mine! (edit: mine is 2867g)

It was my first "more expensive" ride that I bought. I have to say I'm still unsure about it - in most videos it sounds so good (like in the video posted above) and it seems to crash so well. I think mine is really hard to crash or maybe I just have to hit it harder - I tried to use it in lighter context and I think it's pretty loud. I really don't know. Maybe it's like JDA said that it sounds very different out front or recorded, but I never heard mine being played by someone else or recorded well. But behind the kit I think it sounds like the soundcloud-file.

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mine is very loud as well. As i said I only changed my mind on it once hearing it in a band context from out front. It really sounded fantastic like that. Shanks were tremendous. Mine crashes fine but its very loud.

marc3k

Reaction score
Mine is very loud as well. As i said I only changed my mind on it once hearing it in a band context from out front. It really sounded fantastic like that. Shanks were tremendous. Mine crashes fine but its very loud.
Cool! So I guess I better keep it ;-)

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have nothing to add as I do not know the series at all, BUT... I thought it was really interesting to read JDA talking about how at first it sounded awful at his ear "But out front. Pure Zildjian". I found that to be a pretty insightful comment. Then just a few post later you relate that you had the exact same experience with the cymbal as well. Selling it, then hearing it from the audience perspective and getting it back. I just thought it was a cool story that you both had the same experience.

I am slowly learning to speak "JDA" myself, and he often writes about having to take the time for both you and the cymbal to teach each other. I've always practiced and understood the concept of taking the time to "learn the cymbal" but until I started reading his perspective, I never thought about the cymbal also teaching me. It makes 100% sense.

Keep it, and you guys learn each other this time around!

Last edited:

JimmySticks

Reaction score
That sounds like a pretty good sample of the series. I just picked one up, still learning it, but I really like it.

This is mine:
I have to say, to my ear, your cymbal sounds completely different than the OPs. I realize it could be how it is recorded, but honestly, I don't think yours is nearly as dark as the OPs. I actually like the sound of yours better than the first one.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have to say, to my ear, your cymbal sounds completely different than the OPs. I realize it could be how it is recorded, but honestly, I don't think yours is nearly as dark as the OPs. I actually like the sound of yours better than the first one.
I think a lot is the recording. Every cymbal from that site has a similar character to their recorded sound. I’ve had 2-3 others of this model, and they all had varying degrees of what that original file has.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
The sound is different depending on how long you've been playing it also. Guarantee this is within, the first 10 minutes that Adam got to know this 1.

He does well there (of course) but it's endemic with All youtube store demo's. The player and the cymbals and the drums......have usually, just met.

Or you can play it that way; Or everyone plays it differently;
We're the driver's here; as much as or more so, than the exact cymbal or exact drum.

A video or recording of someone else playing is never the (your) final word..(words.

Last edited:

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think a lot is the recording. Every cymbal from that site has a similar character to their recorded sound. I’ve had 2-3 others of this model, and they all had varying degrees of what that original file has.
Ptrick, would you happen to have another alternative soundfile of your K lying around on your hard-drive? might be interesting to hear it recorded differently. I've noticed some certain cymbal sellers have a bit of a "house sound" when making samples.

Last edited:

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ptrick, would you happen to have another alternative soundfile of your K lying around on your hard-drive? might be interesting to hear it recorded differently. I've noticed some certain cymbal sellers have a bit of a "house sound" when making samples.
I don’t have anything yet as it’s still fairly new. I can probably get something recorded, but it’ll be a bit till I’m back in the studio.

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No worries Ptrick, thanks.

Had a band rehearsal earlier today in the garden and i pulled out the K DM for it.
Again i found it hard to bond with the cymbal for ages. Then about 2 thirds of the way thru the rehearsal I started to really dig it. What JDA says is so true, your hand learns to adapt and control it. by the end of the rehearsal I though it sounded really cool.

Last edited:

SKINZ

Reaction score
No worries Ptrick, thanks.

Had a band rehearsal earlier today in the garden and i pulled out the K DM for it.
Again i found it hard to bond with the cymbal for ages. Then about 2 thirds of the way thru the rehearsal I started to really dig it. What JDA says is so true, your hand learns to adapt and control it. by the end of the rehearsal I though it sounded really cool.

Mine is like that........Contrast to playing my 22 SOUND CREATION DARK MED RIDE ND Touch adjust :cool: Crashes nice

Latest posts