22" KCon MTL and 22" A Avedis

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thought I'd post this thread and get opinions here! I was looking for a 22" crash to go with my 22" KCon MTL, and I think I found the perfect fit. I paired it with a 22" A Avedis, one of the lightest I've seen at 2388g. The KCon in comparison, is 2526g.

With a lot of what we do on this kit (mostly worship/CCM/country/rock), I've been venturing into larger crashes. I love the warmth and wash they provide. I was unsure of how these would work together, but so far I'm satisfied.

First practice since June this coming weekend, so I'll get a much better feel for them together!

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
" God, do you play that hard in Church?" man I gotta start going again...; )
Never hit that hard in church. I'm pulled back quite a bit, but everyone loves the Beauford kit there surprisingly haha. It stays there as I can't set it up at my house.

They don't care for my small, normal setup lol. I also use 18/19 main crashes on it.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dunno..pretty much the work of the devil... (!! kid

I mean maybe tympani..with the pipe organ/

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember the first time an Acoustic guitar went in there..
knew I was on the way out ;; (lllol

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thought I'd post this thread and get opinions here! I was looking for a 22" crash to go with my 22" KCon MTL, and I think I found the perfect fit. I paired it with a 22" A Avedis, one of the lightest I've seen at 2388g. The KCon in comparison, is 2526g.

With a lot of what we do on this kit (mostly worship/CCM/country/rock), I've been venturing into larger crashes. I love the warmth and wash they provide. I was unsure of how these would work together, but so far I'm satisfied.

First practice since June this coming weekend, so I'll get a much better feel for them together!

Lots of wobble in that cymbal. Makes for a good crash.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Those sounded pretty nice together.
You've got the K with the drier, darker crash and the A with the wetter brighter crash.
I was waiting for you to hit them together to get a better sense of the "choral effect" of the two cymbals, but from I see and hear on that video, I think you got yourself a pair of winners there.
Congrats! :thumbup:

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
For hats, I'll be possibly moving from my 14" Armands to a custom set of 15" K Dark Thin Crash over a 15" A Avedis Bottom. I had a perfect match with the 15" new beat bottom and stupidly sold the new beat. Hopefully this Avedis will be just as good.

If not, the Armands work!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious....if the Armand's already work for you, why do you want to move away from them?

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just curious....if the Armand's already work for you, why do you want to move away from them?
I really miss the deeper wash of the 15s. They sat so well in the mix. I think at the time I didn't think they were fast enough, but after listening back at some videos, I want that sound back. The Armands are close to my 14" new beats on the Beauford kit as well. If I need that tighter sound, I can always grab them from that kit.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I see what you're getting at now.....then yes, definitely do the 15's.
I went with a pair of 15" Istanbul Agop Trad. Medium, myself. They are some kinda special....AND....they're NOT my 13" Paiste's, which are some kinda special too, but in their own way.
Good luck.

Elvis

Last edited:

VinSparkle

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use an 19” A Avedis on one of my kits. Plays and sounds like a dream. I often wonder why K Cons of the same size are so sought after and expensive.

VinSparkle

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For hats, I'll be possibly moving from my 14" Armands to a custom set of 15" K Dark Thin Crash over a 15" A Avedis Bottom. I had a perfect match with the 15" new beat bottom and stupidly sold the new beat. Hopefully this Avedis will be just as good.

If not, the Armands work!
I just picked up a 15” Avedis Bottom. Hope it works with my Azuka “top”

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
I finally got to use this huge crash setup last night at our huge venue/stage. These two 22" rides performed absolutely perfectly. The absolute crash sounds I've been looking for for this setup. The MTL gives such a deep, full crash. The Avedis contrasts it with a somewhat brighter, quicker sound. And the K custom special dry is very China like. Huge, trashy, fast decay, perfect for accents and rolls.

I also settled on hats with a 15" K Sweet top over a 15" Avedis. Perfect combination.

Extremely happy with this kit. I'm a big cymbals fan for sure now on certain setups!

20210306_100547.jpg

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally got to use this huge crash setup last night at our huge venue/stage. These two 22" rides performed absolutely perfectly. The absolute crash sounds I've been looking for for this setup. The MTL gives such a deep, full crash. The Avedis contrasts it with a somewhat brighter, quicker sound. And the K custom special dry is very China like. Huge, trashy, fast decay, perfect for accents and rolls.

I also settled on hats with a 15" K Sweet top over a 15" Avedis. Perfect combination.

Extremely happy with this kit. I'm a big cymbals fan for sure now on certain setups!

View attachment 488759
Somewhere, Don Brewer is smiling. =)

Elvis

GoMarkGo

Reaction score
They sound great together. I have been happy pairing my 22 MTL with a 22 Pre-Aged Dry Light lately. I love a 2 x 22 cymbal set up. I’ve tried sooooo many different things on the left (19 Beautiful Baby, 22 dry complex, 20 Renaissance, 22 Reny, 20 MTH, 21 special dry). So far I like the PADL with a few rivets.

Attachments