22" Sabian HHX Phoenix "Big and Ugly" Ride Cymbal

febtiger

Reaction score
Sabian says it's "Dark and mature, this cymbal is ideal for modern drummers, due to its extreme cut, consistency, and control."
"Extreme cut" is definitely a lie. Dark, mature, consistency, control, those are all accurate descriptions, but cut? No. It's a very mellow sounding cymbal. It does not cut enough for me.
Phoenix22-Front.jpg

Phoenix22-Back.jpg

Here's a video of The Mark playing one. It sounds nearly the same, just slightly lower in pitch. This one is perfect for someone who plays that sort of quieter stuff with a light touch, or mic'd in the studio. Will not work as a main ride un-mic'd for my purposes.

HHX PHOENIX (22”)
Modern players who thrive on exploring a new sonic range will love the dark, mature tones that rise Phoenix-like from this special Ride. If that sounds too much like jazz to you, rest assured it’s not. With the most cut in the collection, it’s also the most consistent and controlled.

How Sabian came up with that on the Big and Ugly series description is definitely puzzling. I've played all of the Big and Ugly cymbals. It definitely does not have the most cut in the collection. In my opinion, it has the least.

$200 + $50 shipping will do it. It's on Reverb as well, but DFO always gets a discount :)

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was shaking my head as I walked away from auditioning the Big and Ugly series. Only the Apollo offered any musical approach. The rest offered little more than sound effects. Maybe that is all they ever expected. If that's the case, then they succeeded.

GeeDeeEmm

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was shaking my head as I walked away from auditioning the Big and Ugly series. Only the Apollo offered any musical approach. The rest offered little more than sound effects. Maybe that is all they ever expected. If that's the case, then they succeeded.

GeeDeeEmm
I had a similar reaction only I thought the XSR Monarch’s were the only musical line. I’m talking about the redesign ones not the first run. I watched the video and I think this one is not a dog. Someone will be happy with it.

drummingbulldog

Reaction score
They are called Big and Ugly. I tried them. To me, they sound like unfinished cymbals. I love Sabian cymbals but these were not usable for me.

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If I had the money I'd buy it and hang it on the wall! That's a beautiful looking cymbal.

mfryed2112

DFO Star
Reaction score
I had one because I felt the need to have something totally different that would force me to think and play different. This cymbal did exactly that. It really makes you work!

Latest posts