22" Zildjian K Light

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
After a whole life of being a Paiste Man, I have fallen hard for the K Lights. I just picked up a set of 15" hats and 24" ride. I am on the hunt for a 22" ride and of the two I am considering one is listed as 2524 grams and the other 2370. Could you fellas educate me what these weight difference might mean in a cymbal like this?

....also, I am looking for one 18" crash to finish this K Light set out, being new to them I just figured that Zildjian had crashes in this line like Paiste would but lo and behold they do not. What would be a good choice for an 18" crash for this set. I was looking at the 18" Dark Thin but the fundamental note is pretty low, it seems to react kind of slow. It sounds great as a ride but not what I'm looking for in my only crash. I am thinking something a little quicker, just slightly brighter but with the same wash and ridablity. Ring any bells?

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can't help you with weights Nacci but I've tried three different 24's and 2 of them were incredible sounding cymbals that i would have been more than happy to gig and carry around with if only they had been 22" in diameter :)

Have you heard any of the 22"s in person ?

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hello Michaelg, no, I have not heard a 22” in person. 22” is just the ride size I love. I have been mostly listening to YouTube videos from Memphis Drum Shop.

Now that gives me an idea, they list their cymbal weight, I forgot that. That could help me figure out what weigh sounds best to me.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think you'd be able to 'push the lighter one' around a little easier but both pretty stiff

DrumKeys

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How about an 18" K Custom Dark? It works really well with my 15" K Light hats.

Soulfinger

Reaction score
My 18 suggestion would be a K Sweet
+10.

I actually had a set of 15" Light Hats, 22" Light Ride and 18" Sweet Crash. The Sweet is the perfect companion in every aspect - tonality, response, volume...

It was a perfectly wonderful set of cymbals which I only sold because I stumbled upon a set of Paistes that I liked even more (15" 602 ME Hi Hats, 20" Masters Mellow Ride, 22" Masters Dark Ride). Just thought I´d mention that to a fellow Paiste man. ;-)

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I really love my 19" K Sweet. It's my favorite crash Ive owned since I sold my 18" IAK. Have to remember to not sell or trade this one, haha.
I will say that the frequency spread on this one is quite a bit different than the Zildjians I've had in the past. It's dark and sounds slightly EQ'd. It records wonderfully and I think that's because the higher frequencies in it's spread dissipate pretty quickly; faster than it's medium and medium high frequencies. It opens up quickly but the highs don't ring for long. It's so mellow and smooth. That's not to say that the lows that are there make it in any way gongy, it's still a light crash with what feels like the majority of the weight at the bell and some at the bow.
I'm not an engineer or a professional drummer, just a hobbyist and occasional gigger, so take my words with a grain of salt.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
After a whole life of being a Paiste Man, I have fallen hard for the K Lights. I just picked up a set of 15" hats and 24" ride. I am on the hunt for a 22" ride and of the two I am considering one is listed as 2524 grams and the other 2370. Could you fellas educate me what these weight difference might mean in a cymbal like this?

....also, I am looking for one 18" crash to finish this K Light set out, being new to them I just figured that Zildjian had crashes in this line like Paiste would but lo and behold they do not. What would be a good choice for an 18" crash for this set. I was looking at the 18" Dark Thin but the fundamental note is pretty low, it seems to react kind of slow. It sounds great as a ride but not what I'm looking for in my only crash. I am thinking something a little quicker, just slightly brighter but with the same wash and ridablity. Ring any bells?
Weight is relative to the cymbal.
I had a 22" Paiste/Ludwig that sounded like a dark, warm 602 @ 2310g.
I have a 22" Dream Bliss that becomes a washy mess if you look at it wrong and its only 2268g.
Maybe by staying within the same series you can use weight a little more advantageously, than trying to apply size:weight to different bands/models, but all I'm saying is, don't put too much stock in weight, regarding its bearing on the sound of a cymbal.
There's way too many other factors that go into its construction that will also have an effect on how that cymbal sounds.
That being stated, I would have to say that weight seems to rear its ugly head the most when considering; the presence of the ping, the "resonance" of the cymbal and (probably) the length of its sustain.
However, there are other factors that will alter those characteristics, outside of weight.
Anyway, food for thought.
Congrats on your latest purchases. Those sound like real winners. I just picked up a 20" K. Light Flat Ride myself. -b

Elvis

Last edited:

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Another Paiste devotee sees the light! (Light ride, light hats, that is.)

I'd go with the other guy's suggestions: the K Sweet.

GeeDeeEmm

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Sounds like it's too late, but there is a K light pack that is 15 hats, 19 crash, 22 ride and bonus 17 crash - all for like $850!!! What a steal - I've seen them and played them at Bentleys but never pulled the trigger as I have the hats, ride and way too many other cymbals but what a versatile kit for that price!

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sounds like it's too late, but there is a K light pack that is 15 hats, 19 crash, 22 ride and bonus 17 crash - all for like $850!!! What a steal - I've seen them and played them at Bentleys but never pulled the trigger as I have the hats, ride and way too many other cymbals but what a versatile kit for that price!
I love the idea of that. But what are the odds that one or more of those would be a dog? I feel like that's the main reason why I could never buy a "cymbal pack".