23” vintage A zildjian

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve had an old zildjian ride for a few years that I just realized is 23” and not 24” as I initially assumed. I was wondering if the odd size suggests any particular model as I don’t believe I’ve ever noticed another 23” except the newer sweet ride. It has the 5 1/4” bell cup and weighs 3430 grams. Appreciate any info

D7E6677A-13E2-47A0-B4EC-894278B003FA.jpeg
EAE58880-94EB-4940-B715-D03525FB36CE.jpeg
8D7785A1-4577-4D97-B99D-5D7CB941E66C.jpeg

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My guess would be that someone cut down an edge cracked 24".

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
It would be rare indeed, but I suppose it could of actually been factory like that. They made 19s and 21s you know. Unless the edges seem cut down or something, I’m going to assume it was just made like that. Back then, things weren’t as precise (as can be observed by varying bell sizes and weights).

As said, there is always a chance it could have had a slight edge crack where someone cut it down. But that would take a pro to do it right. So I doubt it.

Bottom line, if it sounds good…who cares. I bet that’s a nice medium ride sound there.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess would be that someone cut down an edge cracked 24".
no don't say that.. : )
I'd "like to" think it's for real
from "back when" ..as ADG describes above.
they made 26's and 27's or as the Lore flies.

Not "quite" this; but "this'
Avedis vintge.jpg

for the romantics out there : )

avedisarmand.jpg

maybe the nicest (Avedis Co.) Pic of them all

Avedis Gene.jpg

Last edited:

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Doesn’t appear to have been cut down. I got a little more info from another member that 23” aren’t unheard of. I’m definitely not concerned either way, I had the cymbal for 4 or 5 years without noticing it wasn’t a 24” until I leaned against the wall with a true 24” yesterday. Just thought it was curious.

Its a good sounding ride, leaning towards the heavy end of medium. Measuring it didn’t effect that in any way

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sold a 23" A Zildjian not too long ago. It was from the 50's with a block stamp-style bell and hammering, but a later stamp.

This is the second 23" I've owned. The other was from the 50's also. Neither were cut down from a larger cymbal.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
no don't say that.. : )
I'd "like to" think it's for real
from "back when" ..as ADG describes above.
they made 26's and 27's or as the Lore flies.

Not "quite" this; but "this'
View attachment 538395

for the romantics out there : )

View attachment 538396

maybe the nicest (Avedis Co.) Pic of them all

View attachment 538397

Gene would have been a lot older when mine was made. I would love to find one of the old a 26” at some point. Nothing exceeds like excess and no replacement for displacement and all that

• Haha
Reactions: JDA

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
I've seen some legit 23's and a 25 even. Sure don't see them often. Yours looks nice!

Mike

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've seen some legit 23's and a 25 even. Sure don't see them often. Yours looks nice!

Mike
Thanks. I found it cheap used in a Sam Ash a few years ago when I didn’t even have access to a place to play but I couldn’t pass up a big one. Theres so many different sounds to be had when you have a lot of real estate

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Theres so many different sounds to be had when you have a lot of real estate
now you got me interested..

3430g is not that heavy like to hear it
played by me with a maple (fat) stick say a SD2.

You have a maple stick? (if so

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve got double butt end hickory 2b. Close enough? I’ve got some light sticks but no maple. I’m a little sketched out by the idea of a maple striking tool. I also haven’t had much luck posting video

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve got double butt end hickory 2b. Close enough?
absolutely NOT :D

I’m a little sketched out by the idea of a maple striking tool.
here's the answer to that I been working on for a week. Hickory stick (is) a steel snare drum .
Maple (stick) is a bronze brass or aluminum snare.
(maple stick) has some give and curve to the sound
Can even make an Avedis sound sophisticated ; )

recommend (if 2B is your stick) 2B Maple
don't be for $3.50 afraid (of them)

Last edited:

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Try one of your light sticks. Can setup a simple YouTube channel and record from your phone. No need for studio perfection. I’d love to hear it. I have a big thin 24 old A. I’ve always felt that Cymbalholics (that was a thing…RIP) will (generally) love big cymbals. Due to the many sounds one can achieve. With bigger cymbals, there is the temptation to hang out on the cymbals. Sometimes that’s good.

Don’t get me wrong, there is a time and place for a more compact (20 inch) sound, and everyone should at least have a 50s 60s 20 vintage A or something in the ballpark. Of course, I’m full of opinions. If I’m playing covers from The Band, I don’t want a flying saucer.

Last edited:

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
absolutely NOT :D

here's the answer to that I been working on for a week. Hickory stick (is) a steel snare drum .
Maple (stick) is a bronze brass or aluminum snare.
(maple stick) has some give and curve to the sound
Can even make an Avedis sound sophisticated ; )

recommend (if 2B is your stick) 2B Maple
don't be for $3.50 afraid (of them)
I wouldn’t use a maple hammer handle, I’m not going for a maple drum stick. Hickory works, I’d be alright with ash but I’ve never seen it offered. I just go down to lighter sticks. I’ll look into trying to make a video of it if I get home before its too late for making noise

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
From the 1960's or later those "big" or "odd" sizes get scarcer. There was a 1960's 30" A Zildjian on Reverb not long ago.
I've seen 23, 25, 26's sold this past 1-2 yrs. Though most or those were 1950's.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
you'll sound better than a plumber
Depends on the plumber. Maple is hard and brittle, and breaks suddenly. Hickory handles are tough with give and you’ll notice they’re close to break ing before the head flys off. Qualities that translate to using those woods to strike drums and cymbals. An aluminum pipe wrench would be strong but hard on the hi hats

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Either way I’m happy size down for a lighter stick. No luck on getting a video to load but I doubt your missing much from iphone 7 quality. Spent the day corrupting the youth of America and finally dropped off the Ludwig/Gretsch mutt set I put together for my brother in law. Now I promised my niece her own drums for her birthday in a few months so my sister is thrilled with me
A692CE85-D17B-44BF-9E63-F33BF85136D2.jpeg