24 and 22

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Oh, a 60's 24"? Early 60's?
I like those together. They sound a lot better together than one might think. Great combination.
24" main and 22" LSR? Or Vice Versa?

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes. Just like in video.
22 left side.

I have my 18" k dark thin far far right if I do a big band gig. Ir just go 18/22.
But the 18 as a left side sounds and feels like a toy cymbal now.

Its pretty cool looking too to have 15 hats 22 left side and 24 main ride set up over a 16x13 bass drum and 14x8 snare.

Im breaking all the rules.

Last edited:

marc3k

Reaction score
Both are nice, but I'm impressed by that overhammered ride - especially with the music it sounds amazing to me!

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah. They are nice.
Its funny. My friend who is the best jazz pianist in the area watched it and said

"I don't like either of those"

marc3k

Reaction score
Yeah. They are nice.
Its funny. My friend who is the best jazz pianist in the area watched it and said

So what kind of cymbal would this pianist favor?

marc3k

Reaction score
Cool! A pianist likes a main ride with rivets? (21 mel lewis)

Tracktuary

Reaction score
24" is a lot of cymbal if in a trio setting (assuming that's how pianist is envisioning it). 20-21" is the golden zone for that.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yeah. They are nice.

I can understand the pianist's comment. He or she is probably not accustomed to hearing cymbals recorded using smartphones or other less-than-optimal gear, in rooms that are not great acoustically. We drummers are and mentally compensate accordingly. Without the 'filters' the cymbals come off as somewhat tinny. With our filters (as drummers) they sound pretty damn nice.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ha.
Actually that is a pretty expensive zoomhq4n video camera :cool:

Granted the low quality part is that im playing along with a cd in the background. So i know that sucks.

I need to figure out how to make better video recordings. I need a microphone and an input snd a mixer is my guess.

Regarding the pianist. He has watched about 200 of my cymbal videos.

I play with all the time. Playing a gig next week outdoors

I didn't think the cymbals came off as tinny at all. Hmm.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Ha.
Actually that is a pretty expensive zoomhq4n video camera :cool:

Granted the low quality part is that im playing along with a cd in the background. So i know that sucks.

I need to figure out how to make better video recordings. I need a microphone and an input snd a mixer is my guess.

Regarding the pianist. He has watched about 200 of my cymbal videos.

I play with all the time. Playing a gig next week outdoors
No disrespect to the pianist. I play with two in two different groups and both have very discerning ears. Your gear may be OK and the problem may be the room itself. As for playing along to the CD, I enjoyed that (and the sound of the cymbals). No need to explain yourself on any count.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
No disrespect to the pianist. I play with two in two different groups and both have very discerning ears. Your gear may be OK and the problem may be the room itself. As for playing along to the CD, I enjoyed that (and the sound of the cymbals). No need to explain yourself on any count.
Cool.
So what about the recording do you hear that isn't good?

Ive posted tons of cymbal demos with that camera no one has said anything.

Am i missing something?

The quality sounds great through my headphones.

Its the same room I usually use.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Cool.
So what about the recording do you hear that isn't good?

Ive posted tons of cymbal demos with that camera no one has said anything.

Am i missing something?

The quality sounds great through my headphones.

Its the same room I usually use.
I did not find anything not good; I always compensate for ad hoc recordings of cymbals and have trained my ears to compensate. Indeed, some of my own recordings sound appalling to my ears, yet when I was making them they sounded OK. Playback is something I now dread. You are not missing anything. Your recordings are among the better ones that I have heard, and I have listened to a lot of the ones that you have made. My original post was postulating that pianists may be expecting things that we drummers do not, or they are not realistic in assessing cymbals outside of the context of live music.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Oh I see. Thanks for clarification

No. He is just a really picky guy ;)

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I can understand the pianist's comment. He or she is probably not accustomed to hearing cymbals recorded using smartphones or other less-than-optimal gear, in rooms that are not great acoustically. We drummers are and mentally compensate accordingly. Without the 'filters' the cymbals come off as somewhat tinny. With our filters (as drummers) they sound pretty damn nice.
Beautifully said.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
But the 18 as a left side sounds and feels like a toy cymbal now.

Yeah man. Does that ever go away? I don't think I can go lower than 19 ever again. For rides or crashes.
Does that go away? Do I just need to learn to like 16" crashes or 18" rides?

Latest posts