24" (and bigger) Flat rides

tarocco

Reaction score
These seem to be rare birds, most flat rides I see are 18-22's. I think I want one on the thin end of the spectrum - I love the stick definition and controlled wash of flat rides and like the idea of something big and low pitched. Is there a reason these are uncommon? I'd have to buy one based on sound files as I've never seen one at retail. Looking at Bosphorus / Agop options for now. Any one rocking a 24 (or 26) flat ride - how does it work for you?

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
So far I’ve only heard a couple recordings of 24” flats, and in those particular cases they lost a lot of their stick definition to the low pitch. Cool sound for recording, but not “bigger sounding” the way a large regular ride can be. As a fan of flats though, I’d love to hear some nice examples in those sizes.

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m a big fan of flats too. In my experience they tend to lose the sound I’m looking to get as they get larger than 20”. Funny because I intuitively thought I could get just a little more of that sound by going bigger. But listening to dozens and dozens of soundfiles on youtube I’m finding going smaller tends to get me there and that 18s and 19s get me there.

Right now I’m playing a reasonably heavy (2850gm) Sabian Radia flat (a gift from TB ) but now I’m on the lookout for a 19” version. But I doubt they ever made one as Terry doesn’t even have one.

tarocco

Reaction score
Yeah, that all makes sense. You're trading off some of essential character of a flat ride when you go big. I'll leave this here though - I think it sounds amazing if very different from most flat rides:

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That sounds sweet. Wondering where those overtones come from if there's no bell or bridge.
Normally you don't get any bell tones in the actual sense from a flat ride, so there's no sense of pitch to project over the band. Low drones etc. yes, but you don't normally hear these through the mix. For this reason, large flat rides make little sense to me.
Ssame with unlathed flats - to me, the main sound to get from a flat is the surface hiss of a lathed surface after the initial stick sound, I get plenty of that with an 18" 602, with ample decay time. A larger size version I think wouldn't add a lot.

speady1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Dream Contact 24" small bell flat ride is phenomenal. I have a couple of them and both are terrific instruments.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wondering where those overtones come from if there's no bell or bridge.
Normally you don't get any bell tones in the actual sense from a flat ride, so there's no sense of pitch to project over the band. Low drones etc. yes, but you don't normally hear these through the mix.
My heavier flats have more tonal body (including bell like sounds) than the thinner ones.